Disney is buying MARVEL!!!

Day to day life of the Rush fans

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Disney is buying MARVEL!!!

Post by Walkinghairball »

Disney buying Marvel for $4 billion

The entertainment giant gets Spiderman and 5,000 other characters.
Posted by Charley Blaine on Monday, August 31, 2009 11:39 AM
Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Spiderman, Ironman and Wolverine.

The possibilities boggle after Walt Disney (DIS) announced today that it will buy Marvel Entertainment (MVL) for $4 billion in cash and stock. The purchase gives Disney, the operator of theme parks and the ABC broadcast network, ownership of more than 5,000 Marvel characters.

As important, the deal will give Disney something it really doesn't have: entertainment that appeals to boys. With the "Hannah Montana" franchise and the blockbuster Princesses merchandising line, Disney already has a strong position in entertainment that appeal to girls, especially little girls.

Films based on Iron Man, Spider-Man and Wolverine have pulled in hundreds of millions at the box office.

Disney CEO Bob Iger said buying Marvel will allow Disney to extend the characters in its parks and stores (watch the video at the bottom of this article). "We have a great opportunity to grow the Marvel brand," Iger told Bloomberg TV.

Under the deal, Marvel shareholders will receive $30 a share in cash plus about 0.745 Disney shares for each Marvel share. The deal is valued at $50 a share, a 29 percent premium on Marvel stock.

Based on the Aug. 28 closing price of Disney?s stock, the transaction values Marvel at $50 a share. That?s a 29% premium to Marvel?s closing price that day.

Marvel jumped $9.93, or 26% , to $48.58 this morning.

"They have a reliable franchise of characters which should do well in the parks, bolster their live-action film pipeline and improve their standing with boys," analyst Chris Marangi of Gabelli & Co. told Bloomberg News.

"You can?t look at the price based on trailing earnings. There?s a pipeline of films and very profitable licensing revenue here."

Disney, the world?s biggest media company, fell 3% to $26.04 Disney shares had risen 18% this year before today.

Marvel said earlier this month that second-quarter profit fell 38% after a drop in licensing sales related to the "Iron Man" and ?Incredible Hulk? movies. "Iron Man," released by Viacom's (VIA) Paramount Pictures in May 2008, generated $585.1 million worldwide, making it the second-biggest release of 2008, according to researcher Box Office Mojo. The sequel is scheduled for May 2010.

Marvel has aggressively exploited its most popular characters through motion pictures and consumer products, and it has a thicket of deals with various studios that will stay in place.

Twentieth Century Fox will continue with the "X-Men" franchise while Sony Pictures Entertainment will keep "Spider-Man." And Paramount Pictures will continue to release Marvel?s "Iron Man? films ? at least until that deal expires. So essentially Disney is in business with a trio of rival studios.

The acquisition comes as Disney, with its vast theme park operations and television advertising business, has been struggling because of a lack of hit DVDs, soft advertising sales at ABC and drooping consumer spending at theme parks, The Times noted.

Disney?s profit in its fiscal-third quarter, which ended June 27, dropped 26%. Net income fell to $954 million, or 51 cents a share, from $1.28 billion, or 66 cents a share, in the year-ago period. Revenue fell 7%, to $8.6 billion.
This space for rent
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

No comment. I'm giving them a year to see what Disney will do.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Like I said in the thread Elf posted this in..............If I see Shreck vs. Wolverine, someone is gonna get hurt.
This space for rent
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

(I will say one thing...if Disney lays a finger on Iron Man...I will ban their products from my house)
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Walkinghairball wrote:Like I said in the thread Elf posted this in..............If I see Shreck vs. Wolverine, someone is gonna get hurt.

Spiderman vs. Goofy!

oh, it's comin.'

You can damn near smell it. :P LMAO
Don't start none...won't be none.
Walkinghairball

CygnusX1 wrote:
Walkinghairball wrote:Like I said in the thread Elf posted this in..............If I see Shreck vs. Wolverine, someone is gonna get hurt.

Spiderman vs. Goofy!

oh, it's comin.'

You can damn near smell it. :P LMAO

Shush yer face you. :x :lol:
This space for rent
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

Interesting tweet from Joe Quesada:

JoeQuesada: If you're familiar with the Disney/Pixar relationship, then you'll understand why this is a new dawn for Marvel and the comics industry.
Walkinghairball

YYZ30 wrote:Interesting tweet from Joe Quesada:

JoeQuesada: If you're familiar with the Disney/Pixar relationship, then you'll understand why this is a new dawn for Marvel and the comics industry.
Well, I like the Disney/Pixar animation, and if they do a Marvel toon movie, I know the animation will be superb. They had best not bastardize the look of the costumes. I want purity damnit!!!
This space for rent
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

Walkinghairball wrote:
YYZ30 wrote:Interesting tweet from Joe Quesada:

Well, I like the Disney/Pixar animation, and if they do a Marvel toon movie, I know the animation will be superb. They had best not bastardize the look of the costumes. I want purity damnit!!!
Pixar has carte blanche to do what they want- Disney does not interfere.

So- if Disney had half a brain:

1) Leave Marvel alone
2) Let them make their product while we take the money
3) Profit!
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Its a good thing comic books are for children otherwise I might care :P
Raiden

Post by Raiden »

Walkinghairball wrote:Like I said in the thread Elf posted this in..............If I see Shrek vs. Wolverine, someone is gonna get hurt.
Oh yes, very much. Besides, we both know Wolverine would destroy Shrek. He'd shred all those layers right off that ogre.

If Mickey Mouse ends up in such a battle, buildings will fall.