Happy Veterans Day

Day to day life of the Rush fans

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Agreed.
This space for rent
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

It's almost that time again, but why wait....

To all my military brothers and sisters past and present...

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY.

If you walk past or by someone in uniform....take a second and THANK THEM.
Don't start none...won't be none.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Cyg, have you seen the new version of George C. Scott as Patton..........his speech to the troops in front of the flag??? It's on Youtube, but I'm sure you can find it on another source. It is set to present day policy and politics. Go find it.
This space for rent
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Walkinghairball wrote:Cyg, have you seen the new version of George C. Scott as Patton..........his speech to the troops in front of the flag??? It's on Youtube, but I'm sure you can find it on another source. It is set to present day policy and politics. Go find it.
I haven't seen the "new" one, but I can remember the old one from the
movie almost verbatim.

I'll definteitely check it out Bro. Thanks for the heads up, and thank you
for your service too.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

I'm leaving out of town today, so I wish a happy and safe Veterans Day
to all my past and present military brothers, sisters, spouses and
families here at By-tor and around the world.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY!

OOOORAH!

***SALUTES***

Joey
Walkinghairball

Thank you brother.
This space for rent
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

Thank you to the vets, and those presently serving!
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Happy Vetran's Day.

As I said before I'm so proud of my Dad for serving in WWII starting as a young 17-year-old on the Western Front. Battle of the Bulge and all. He does not speak of it much for the carnage but the most interesting stories come from him as one of the guards in a POW camp for Germans.

How they built "streets" overnight and such. Incredible to watch as dawn broke how the camp was transformed by them.

Icky stories too.

I'm not a tree-hugger who is anti-war but I don't like war. But I'm not so arrogant either and I know service is an honor to this country and we are protected in the end only by those who serve no matter the policies. I am eternally grateful to the selflessness and sacrifice each has given even though each has gone through incredible difficulties and lost a buddy or even their own lives.

I know there is a lot of "stuff" that goes on too in a testosterone and stress-filled environment that doesn't make it into, uh, Stars and Stripes (old timey reference) and doesn't end up in our anthems but still. :)

Thank you to all the veterans in this country and on this board. And to my Dad now disabled but his purple heart and later his reign of Chief of Vascular Surgery at WCMC ultimately because of the army bill that made it possible for him to go to medical college (he could not otherwise afford) and so to the lives he saved since because of it.

Thank you all.

*put in "salutey" icon"

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

^^^^^^^^^^^

Well said Kares.

Thank you to all who have served.
Walkinghairball

Thank you Kares.
This space for rent
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

I know or at least I THINK I know that by-tor the ultimate absent owner of this board is a vet. Or at least I remember tatoos to the effect. :razz:

So it is cool to speak in this manner.

My Dad and his two sons went to France at the 50th anniversary of the landing at Normandy (He's still old fashioned and I wonder if he even is aware of the women who served...even though his own mother is lionized in a museum in Bremerton, WA where she was one of the first WAACs in WWI)

I mentioned that I would put out there as he and George Bush would say, the "interweb" that he was part of the 628 infantry battalion. Later changed. I will prolly have to look it up.

But the Leica camera (which is one of the best and he owns one legally) story is so cool. To me, anyway having this as a record of growing up.

In the POW camp there was a corporal who was a (I wanna say a nasty word but it's not the adult forum) not-so-honest guy. He demanded that the "krauts" give them all their Leica cameras. This would have been a huge windfall for this dirty corporal. Whoever was in charge of the Germans at the fence agreed they'd be there in todo the next morning. And they were. ALL those beautiful cameras were put in the latrine trenches. HA! Rather have them sunk in their own sh*t than go to the ugly Americans. I respect that and so did my Dad. POW sucks no matter what team you're on and you have to do what you do.

If any of you have veteran's stories I'd love to hear them. :-)

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

That's a great story, Kares! Bless your father for his service to his country both in the Army and after.
I believe you are right about our hippie-hating By-tor being a vet himself. He and the rest of our vets are blessings to us as is your father.
Onward and Upward!
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

awip2062 wrote:That's a great story, Kares! Bless your father for his service to his country both in the Army and after.
I believe you are right about our hippie-hating By-tor being a vet himself. He and the rest of our vets are blessings to us as is your father.
I think he was in the Navy..
Happy 2015!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

I thank your Dad and your Uncles for their service, Kares.

They're part of the "Greatest Generation."

God Bless 'em.
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

yep..

I know it was a movie but I have to think that it was close to the real thing, maybe... but Saving Private Ryan made me cry.. seriously.
Happy 2015!