The Simpsons and Me!

Day to day life of the Rush fans

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Ogg

The Simpsons and Me!

Post by Ogg »

Lisa Cries Freedom for Cornwall

In the UK, this year's alternative Christmas message is going to be done by our favorite family. Channel 4 is preparing a four-minute Simpsons special to be aired at the same time as the Queen's speech.

The special will feature Lisa Simpson supporting Cornwall's independence campaign by running around the living room and shouting in the Cornish dialect "Rydhsys rag Kernow lemmyn," which translates to "Freedom for Cornwall now" and "Kernow bys vykken," "Cornwall forever."

Cornwall is Britain's southernmost county with half a million residents. A group of them is actively campaigning for a Cornish Assembly, and some 50,000 people have signed declarations calling for an autonomous administration.

The plans became public when writer-producer Tim Long contacted The Cornish Language Fellowship last week and asked the phrases translated into Cornish. The organization also gave pointers to Yeardley Smith, voice of Lisa, in the proper pronunciation. Cornish is a language spoken fluently by only 300-400 people, yet up to 10,000 people understand it a little.

"Lisa Simpson is a great ally. She is a cult icon and a cool character, and to attach some of her coolness and cult status to the Cornish language movement is obviously good," said spokesman Matthew Clarke to local media. "I don't get the impression they are looking to directly poke fun."
I live in Cornwall (South-West England). I find the above both surreal and amusing. Still in shock... :-) .
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

As a fellow Celt, although of Scots lineage, I agree.
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'