Question from my niece

Day to day life of the Rush fans

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

schuette

Question from my niece

Post by schuette »

okai ever since my niece knew I talked to Americans she's always hassled me about asking you all one question.....and since she's sitting beside me I have to ask ;-)

in her words....
"see in films when you lot say 'lets take this outside' do you really take it outside or do you just batter the shit out of them where they stand?"

All answers will be greatly appreciated but if your talking shit we will tell you :-D
kazzman
Location: In a cellar thinking of ways to assasinate Gary Bettman

Post by kazzman »

Well, in my case, it's both. I go outside with them and then beat them sensless where they stand. :twisted:
Kazz
Me

Post by Me »

It really means walk away and don't bother with little minds
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
schuette

Post by schuette »

okai I need to say I agree with kazz :twisted: ....come on Me you really gonna tell me that there hasnt been times when you really want to kick the shit out of them right there and now!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

It can mean both. Even if you're just going to argue, you don't need to do it in front of everyone.

But sometimes it does mean, "Let's go and settle this like Americans do!" *whack*
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
schuette

Post by schuette »

But do you go outside to do it??
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

schuette wrote:But do you go outside to do it??
Yes. No need to put on a show for everyone in the restaurant (or wherever you are).
schuette

Post by schuette »

but if you were in the house...?
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

I've seen this and heard it before (unfortunately) and from my experience they "take it outside" really.

It's an old gentleman's agreement of not messing up the lady's house that they are fighting over. Sigh.

Anyway, I'm sure all the young bucks or drunks that use this term don't know the history but they STILL take it outside.

Funny thing though...everyone INSIDE ends up following them OUTSIDE to watch. :razz:

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Kares4Rush wrote:
Funny thing though...everyone INSIDE ends up following them OUTSIDE to watch. :razz:
And it's always a disappointment when they kiss and make up instead of duking it out!
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Bunch of wusses! (where's the "winky" icon)

I don't like fighting but yes, they DO usually end up like, "OK, it's cool man." or some such thing. :razz:

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

I usually was the peacemaker, when I heard this I'd get them both a beer and tell them to chill out.

Yes, take it outside means "go beat the snot out of each other outside the house"
Me

Post by Me »

schuette wrote:okai I need to say I agree with kazz :twisted: ....come on Me you really gonna tell me that there hasnt been times when you really want to kick the shit out of them right there and now!
:-D not in front of the niece lets just say I've been on both ends of the rope and like the middle better for now :-D
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
EndlesslyRocking

Post by EndlesslyRocking »

Kares4Rush wrote:I've seen this and heard it before (unfortunately) and from my experience they "take it outside" really.

It's an old gentleman's agreement of not messing up the lady's house that they are fighting over. Sigh.
Or their favorite watering hole...

Yes, in the US, "Take it outside" is a challenge to a fight. Not used much anymore.
Life in two dimensions is a mass-production scheme...
schuette

Post by schuette »

cheers everyone I'll let her know you really do take it outside :-D