'Snakes and Arrows' Leaked!...(and Reviews)

Something to do with Rush coming up? Post it here.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I'm doing everything I can to go into this with an open mind. I've heard Far Cry, but that's all. Only heard it once so I'm reserving furhter comment.

Vapor Trails disappointed me. Dunno if this one will, or if it will excite me.

I'll never forget the thrill of hearing Red Barchetta on the radio before Moving Pictures was released. And it was SO exciting. And then when we finally got the record almost every song was equally thrilling (except for Vital Signs). I don't expect an experience like that again. But I hope the new album makes me happy. :)
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

From what I've "heard" (and I'll wait till I hear the whole thing too) is that people are taken aback on the first listen. Different than expected.

Presto-esque. I dunno. But then it grows and grows and GROWS on you like a really cool fungus. :-D Becomes a completely different album.

Hey! Sounds like RUSH to me!!! :razz:

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Kares4Rush wrote:From what I've "heard" (and I'll wait till I hear the whole thing too) is that people are taken aback on the first listen. Different than expected.

Presto-esque. I dunno. But then it grows and grows and GROWS on you like a really cool fungus. :-D Becomes a completely different album.

Hey! Sounds like RUSH to me!!! :razz:
Hope that's how it goes for me. Back after the VT release people kept telling me, "You just need to listen to it 30 more times, then you'll like it!"

Well, I became fond of Ghost Rider and must confess that there are some special moments here and there throughout the album. But... the whole thing was still a disappointment. EXCEPT that they were working again! That alone made the whole thing special. And then there was the wonderful tour that followed! Yeah, baby!
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Big Blue Owl wrote:Wow. I feel genuinely bad for you, Cyg. Hopefully after a few more listens the beauty will reveal itself and become embedded (as so many of their albums have for me) and vital.

I absolutely love it and it has inspired me to remain alive at LEAST until the next one comes out. They are like, 55 years old now. I don't expect (from Rush) razor-sharp metal flying off of a speeding Bentley anymore. But what they have done oozes personal, introspective and inspirational combinations of lyric and music, and a surprising amount of balls from the 'Elders'.
You're right Owlie...."Far Cry" does-not-an-album-make, so I will save any more barbs until I hear the whole thing. My bad. :-D :???:
Don't start none...won't be none.
Me

Post by Me »

CygnusX1 wrote:
Big Blue Owl wrote:Wow. I feel genuinely bad for you, Cyg. Hopefully after a few more listens the beauty will reveal itself and become embedded (as so many of their albums have for me) and vital.

I absolutely love it and it has inspired me to remain alive at LEAST until the next one comes out. They are like, 55 years old now. I don't expect (from Rush) razor-sharp metal flying off of a speeding Bentley anymore. But what they have done oozes personal, introspective and inspirational combinations of lyric and music, and a surprising amount of balls from the 'Elders'.
You're right Owlie...."Far Cry" does-not-an-album-make, so I will save any more barbs until I hear the whole thing. My bad. :-D :???:
I am just replying because I am an attention whore :-D

I'll let you know what I think about a week after it comes out so I can listen several times and stew over it but....I like what I have heard so far
cry cry cry cry.........
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Cyg,

Ah, no bad. I assumed you already heard the entire album. Given that, what you said makes total sense to me.
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Big Blue Owl wrote:Cyg,

Ah, no bad. I assumed you already heard the entire album. Given that, what you said makes total sense to me.
Yeppers, but dammit, I wish they would do something RETRO...You know, reverse engineer some stuff...LIKE THE FIRST ALBUM!!!

did I mention they should redo the first album with Neil?

*hope you read this Lerxst*

IMHO, they've gone as far as they can in their present expressions.

It's like there's nothing more left to them to do (that they haven't done already).....what can they do to top it on the next record...yaknow?

Now, if they come out with a Rush album flavored with, say PANTERA...oh BOY....

*licking my chops, like "it could happen"* :headbang:
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

CygnusX1 wrote:

ROFLMBO
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

awip2062 wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:

ROFLMBO
I'm SERIOUS!!

Neil shouldn't Led a sweet drum kit go mellow like that!! :twisted: :roll:
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Having just seen Down, which is half Pantera, I am still ROFLMBO!!!!
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

awip2062 wrote:Having just seen Down, which is half Pantera, I am still ROFLMBO!!!!
Pantera....or even ONE HALF Pantera is still ME-TAL.

Horns UP! \m/ \m/

Anselmo is crazy good on the mic.

He should do "Working Man." Really....Can you imagine that tune done METAL????

Oh sweetness.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Anselmo would be better on vox if he increased his working vocabulary beyond three words. It geds really old hearing the same thing over and over and over. He's a creative man, I think he should use that in his speech. Of course, he may be doing it just to be "cool" or fit in, but whatever.

Just my two cents.
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

awip2062 wrote:Anselmo would be better on vox if he increased his working vocabulary beyond three words. It geds really old hearing the same thing over and over and over. He's a creative man, I think he should use that in his speech. Of course, he may be doing it just to be "cool" or fit in, but whatever.

Just my two cents.

Agreed. He almost checked out on us too you know...he has some demons to crush for sure.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

He does, although I have faith he can. He just has to want to. I am sure he would have tons of support.
Onward and Upward!
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

CygnusX1 wrote:He should do "Working Man." Really....Can you imagine that tune done METAL????
Check out Skid Row's cover of "What You're Doing"
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!