'Snakes and Arrows' Leaked!...(and Reviews)

Something to do with Rush coming up? Post it here.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

by-tor wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:He should do "Working Man." Really....Can you imagine that tune done METAL????
Check out Skid Row's cover of "What You're Doing"
Sweetness By-tor.

(I already knew Sebastian Bach was a HUGE Rush fan anyway.)

Thanks for the heads-up. :D
Don't start none...won't be none.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Here's a review from the UCSD Gaurdian.
By Chris Mertan
Associate Hiatus Editor

April 26, 2007 ? Classic-rock radio mainstays Rush are unimpressed with the state of the world and feel the need to let it know. Granted, they haven't released a killer album since Signals in 1982, and its masterful predecessors Moving Pictures and the criminally underrated A Farewell to Kings are even further gone.

It should come as no surprise that their state-of-the-world album Snakes and Arrows (did Samuel L. help them out?) doesn't rank up there with the legendary rock-god riffs that showed us that Tom Sawyer really did have a mean, mean stride. This new venture kicks off with two relatively decent tracks - "Far Cry" and "Armor and Swords" - which, on a greater album, could serve as decent filler. From there, Rush descend into hollow religious insights, pun-filled political sleepers and lyrics cheesed in anti-Bush rhetoric that even Neil Young wouldn't touch (in "The Way the Wind Blows," singer Geddy Lee wants to know why we let our "child get left behind") - not to mention three, count them, three droning instrumentals. Even the percussive beat of Neil Peart (still the greatest drummer of all time) and the Jimmy Page-lite guitar of Alex Lifeson fade into the expressionless noise of repetitive crescendos and stunted melodies. Once successful in combining the heavy metal of Led Zeppelin with the experimental prog-rock of Pink Floyd, Rush repeat the same error of their past 25 years: They abandon the progressive virtuoso that once connected them to their fans. Then again, this calls for another tour, delivering generations of pseudo-psychedelics the epic sounds of yore blasted through 3,000-watt amps three inches from their faces. Just like the good ol' days.
I suspect I'm going to really enjoy the three "droning instrumetnals". But I'm really afraid I'm going to agree with him on the rest.

Keep an open mind. Keep an open mind.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

ElfDude wrote:Here's a review from the UCSD Gaurdian.
By Chris Mertan
Associate Hiatus Editor

April 26, 2007 ? Classic-rock radio mainstays Rush are unimpressed with the state of the world and feel the need to let it know. Granted, they haven't released a killer album since Signals in 1982, and its masterful predecessors Moving Pictures and the criminally underrated A Farewell to Kings are even further gone.

It should come as no surprise that their state-of-the-world album Snakes and Arrows (did Samuel L. help them out?) doesn't rank up there with the legendary rock-god riffs that showed us that Tom Sawyer really did have a mean, mean stride. This new venture kicks off with two relatively decent tracks - "Far Cry" and "Armor and Swords" - which, on a greater album, could serve as decent filler. From there, Rush descend into hollow religious insights, pun-filled political sleepers and lyrics cheesed in anti-Bush rhetoric that even Neil Young wouldn't touch (in "The Way the Wind Blows," singer Geddy Lee wants to know why we let our "child get left behind") - not to mention three, count them, three droning instrumentals. Even the percussive beat of Neil Peart (still the greatest drummer of all time) and the Jimmy Page-lite guitar of Alex Lifeson fade into the expressionless noise of repetitive crescendos and stunted melodies. Once successful in combining the heavy metal of Led Zeppelin with the experimental prog-rock of Pink Floyd, Rush repeat the same error of their past 25 years: They abandon the progressive virtuoso that once connected them to their fans. Then again, this calls for another tour, delivering generations of pseudo-psychedelics the epic sounds of yore blasted through 3,000-watt amps three inches from their faces. Just like the good ol' days.
I suspect I'm going to really enjoy the three "droning instrumetnals". But I'm really afraid I'm going to agree with him on the rest.

Keep an open mind. Keep an open mind.
:wink: Trying hard here Elfie. Maybe I'm just too old-school. Is that a BAD thing?

oh, and the "Jimmy Page 'Lite' " reference....... :headbang: LOL
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Well, at least if we don't like the album, we know the other songs on the tour will be good! \m/
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

awip2062 wrote:Well, at least if we don't like the album, we know the other songs on the tour will be good! \m/
Yeah! The tour is definitely cause for excitement.

I've also noticed that songs I'm not crazy about from a new album come off better live than they did on the album. Like Earth Shine.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I get that. There are bands I don't care to listen to on CD, but I really enjoy live that I make a point to see when I can. Something about the live situation makes a difference.
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

ElfDude wrote:
awip2062 wrote:Well, at least if we don't like the album, we know the other songs on the tour will be good! \m/

I've also noticed that songs I'm not crazy about from a new album come off better live than they did on the album. Like Earth Shine.
the exact opposite holds true too. I liked album version of 'Resist' better.

Not too crazy abooot the acoustic effort.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

CygnusX1 wrote:
ElfDude wrote:

the exact opposite holds true too. I liked album version of 'Resist' better.

Not too crazy abooot the acoustic effort.
It was fun the first time, just because it was different. But they didn't need to do it again on the next tour.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Jimmy Page "Lite"...

....I'm STILL smiling over that one! :lol:
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

by-tor wrote: Check out Skid Row's cover of "What You're Doing"
Why? It's shite :-D

Well, I've lived with the new album for a week the now and I stand by my favourable comments. I like the album...a lot. I love the general 'feel' of the thing, the fact that I'm still playing it over and over after a week bodes well. There is nothing like a new Rush album is there? :-)

I have to echo my first ever By-Tor post years back (I'm suprised I still remember it) and urge appreciation rather than negativity. Back then, upon the release of VT I said we should all be thankful that there is a new album...considering everything that had happened. 'Rush' could've called it a day with integrity intact after VT so I for one am more than greatful for a new Rush album.
I can guarantee that there will be more than one track that fires the old Rush neurons, of course our tastes differ but a bad album this is not. I'd offer a review but it's still not out yet so I'll wait. Well crafted songs with myriad hooks and changes, so much to discuss.
Personally, after reading the scant reviews I expected something different and first impressions were simply o-k (apart from the beauty that is 'TMMB'). The more I listened the more I understood and several impressions were formed early on. Alex is smokin throughout, the production is shit hot and there's oodles of drum 'bits'n'bobs' to get one's teeth into.
The album has a languid kinda fluid feel, um...more organic I guess, apart from the overused multitracked Geddy 'woah ohs' it's nigh on great.
I hope you all enjoy the album. :-)
Still wish they hadn't opened with 'Far Cry' though.

"I dont have faith in faith, I dont believe in belief"
Last edited by Ogg on Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
schuette

Post by schuette »

downloaded it last night...love it! :-D
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

schuette wrote:downloaded it last night...love it! :-D
You've done it again Hun', regaled us all with your witticsms, intuitive insight and provided a deep meaningful review :-D .
Can ye no' coment one one wee fav' track ye ken?
schuette

Post by schuette »

you should know by now I'm a woman of few words :razz:
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

schuette wrote:you should know by now I'm a woman of few words :razz:
Aye, the quiet introspective soul that you are. You simply must learn how to assert yourself a wee bitty more often :-D .

Wow, Owly sums it up I think.
Big Blue Owl wrote: I absolutely love it and it has inspired me to remain alive at LEAST until the next one comes out. They are like, 55 years old now. I don't expect (from Rush) razor-sharp metal flying off of a speeding Bentley anymore. But what they have done oozes personal, introspective and inspirational combinations of lyric and music, and a surprising amount of balls from the 'Elders'.
Couldn't have put it better myself.
Medinaquirin

Post by Medinaquirin »

1. Downloaded it. I have no problem with this because I'm still buying it.
2. Critics are by and large a useless waste of words.
3. There are overall some odd moments on this album (the verses on "Bravest Face" are a little silly, in me own 'umble opinion) and it does come off kind of samey in spots, but it's still pretty damn solid. "Good News First" and "Faithless" are two of my favorites.

Also...hi. ^_^
~Time is a spiral, space is a curve
I know you get dizzy but try not to lose your nerve
~