Rush (The Band) Takes On The Religious Right

Something to do with Rush coming up? Post it here.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Rocinante

Post by Rocinante »

Personally, I say each to their own. If it causes no-one else any harm it shouldn't be a problem. Sometimes people can learn from different views. :cool:
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

One thing I have been doing is looking at what Neil has to say on it and thinking about his view. I know that not all of what a lyricist writes necessarily represents his true opinion, but it seems to have been presented to us in interviews and press-releases that this album's lyrics were brought about through Neil's thoughts on things and events seen during the past few years.

Anyway, I've been listening to it wanting to see his side. What exactly does he think on these topics? Where do we agree? Where do we disagree? How does what we each believe affect the way we each live?

I've been thinking of sitting down with the lyric sheet some time and putting my thoughts on the points Neil makes (those I agree with and those I do not) for any who would care to read them. I can think of one person who has been wanting my opinion since before I bought the CD!
Onward and Upward!
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

schuette wrote:although I dont have friends who are religious I wouldnt mind though..as long as they dont preach..that would piss me off and make me not want to be with them to be honest..

great article by-tor...cheers :-D
I agree completely. One of my best friends is religious, but I only found out by accident, he just doesn't talk about it.

I'm of the view that we should tolerate anyones private belief. it's simply no one elses' business but the person concerned. The only thing that really hacks me off is people not wanting to admit that they could be wrong.

I mean, if you really want to stick a label on me, I suppose I'm atheist, but that soesn't mean that I wouldn't believe if presented with overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Siniliarly, it should cut both ways.

I'm always curious about the contrast between the UK and America in this regard. Over here, religion is just not an issue. Apart from the one friend, I couldn't honestly tell you whether other people I know are or not, it just doesn't seem to be on the radar like it is across the pond.
Ach, if Dougie was here he'd tell you himself....
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

It didn't seem to be such the issue it is today here in the U.S. when I was growing up, Fridge, an even as a young adult.

The Religious Intolerance and Intolerance of Religion has grown new horns in my experience. :(

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

Just because different faiths don't agree doesn't mean they cannot ged along. Gedding along does NOT mean agreeing on important issues, it means not being a turd to each other when agreement is not reached.

I am finding that people are much quicker to hate these days than in the not to distance past. We seem to have forgotten how to live and let live. As a Christian, I am finding more recently that people are ready to hate me for that before I even open my mouth. Hmmmmmm.
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

zepboy wrote: I am finding that people are much quicker to hate these days than in the not to distance past. We seem to have forgotten how to live and let live. As a Christian, I am finding more recently that people are ready to hate me for that before I even open my mouth. Hmmmmmm.
Really?

I think that's a real shame. As long as you are not ramming that faith down other peoples throats (which you certainly don't do here, and I have to assume you are the same in "real" life) then why should anyone have an issue with what you believe?

Again, I'm certainly not holding up the UK as a paragon of virtuousness as we have PLENTY wrong with our country, but in this respect I think we seem to better than the USA at the moment. It's really not an issue with the vast majority of people.
Ach, if Dougie was here he'd tell you himself....
schuette

Post by schuette »

I understand what you mean fridge...I dont mean this disrespectfully..but religion gets mentioned a fair wee bit on this board...not that I find anything wrong with that!..but if this was a mainly British board then religion wouldnt get mentioned that much..if at all..

and I do think that people are ignorant if they judge you by your religion first zep