Origins of AIDS

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Where did AIDS come from?

It's the result of acts of bestiality.
No votes
It's a curse from God.
25%
It was invented as a bio-weapon.
25%
Other. Please explain.
50%

Total votes: 8

by-tor

Post by by-tor »

schuette wrote:I'm amazed you never said Scotland!!! :shock:
I like Scotland....been there numerous times. If I disliked a country based on one or two people, I'd have to buy my own island. :twisted:
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
schuette

Post by schuette »

but you dont dislike me :-D
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

schuette wrote:
by-tor wrote:
Slaine mac Roth wrote:Maybe its nature's way of telling us that the population is too large. I don't know.
I'll offer up France to make nature happy. :twisted:

I'm amazed you never said Scotland!!! :shock:
No one would dare :twisted:
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

schuette wrote:but you dont dislike me :-D
Let's not get carried away here. :twisted:
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

i voted curse from God.

Its not the childresnf ault parsay they die from aids, but merely the doctors fo not doing proper work and such, not to mention it could easily be the childrens fate to die, either or the fate of the wicked shines through onto others
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

Sir Myghin wrote: but merely the doctors fo not doing proper work and such,
How so?
Slaine mac Roth

Sir Myghin wrote:i voted curse from God.

Its not the childresnf ault parsay they die from aids, but merely the doctors fo not doing proper work and such, not to mention it could easily be the childrens fate to die, either or the fate of the wicked shines through onto others
Correct if I'm wrong, but aren't you talking about a 'sins of the father' scenario here?
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

in essence yes, the sins of a house lie oft within the whole house not just the member although that is a slightly more archaic veiw i suppose. and the doctors could use more effort to detect the tainted blood transfusions and whatnot, not to mention i just don't like doctors. when ones time is up you die either wya, doctor can't do much about it
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

As the daughter of a father who is Chief of Vascular Surgery and former president of the New York Cancer Society and a sister who is a Pediatric Oncologist I tend to disagree there. Science and nature work hand in hand in many ways.

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
Slaine mac Roth

Sir Myghin wrote:in essence yes, the sins of a house lie oft within the whole house not just the member although that is a slightly more archaic veiw i suppose. and the doctors could use more effort to detect the tainted blood transfusions and whatnot, not to mention i just don't like doctors. when ones time is up you die either wya, doctor can't do much about it
That sort of attitude simply reinforces my non-religous standpoint. If a god, especially one who is supposed to be a loving god, would visit such things upon innocent children then I want no part of it at all.
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

Scotland! :twisted:
We're all mad here!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

While I have a very profound belief in God, I don't believe that AIDS is a curse from Him. Nor do I blame doctors. I really don't know where it came from.

A few random comments?

I don't believe that it's just a mutation of a monkey virus. Most new viruses are just mutations of existing ones. When researchers first went to work on the AIDS virus, one of the comments we heard was that it was like nothing they'd ever seen before. That turns out to be great fodder for the conspiracy theorists.

I also don't worry at all about contracting the virus. There was a time when a lot of hemophiliacs were getting it because of a tainted blood supply, but that has pretty much been cleaned up now. Every once in a while you hear of someone getting it from their dentist or something like that, but it's very rare.

The fact is, it's a very preventable disease. If you simply refrain from illicit sexual behavior and from sharing needles, the odds are tiny that you'll ever contract it. I know that's not a very politically correct thing to say, but it's how it is.

It was before our time, but it used to be in this country that if you got a certain diseases, you were quarantined. It seems to me that any nation willing to reintroduce the quarantine system could pretty much eliminate the virus from within their borders in a stretch of not too many years. (You don't have to tell me why that's not a feasible suggestion...)

As to our Nobel Peace Prize winner (who got her award because she plants trees... I know a lot of Boy Scouts who should be eligible for the prize too based on that) who claims western scientists engineered the virus in order to kill black people, it sounds like it's probably time to have her meds checked.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Big Brother

Post by Big Brother »

There is a possibility that HIV/AIDS was an experimental version of a new Bio-weapon. Yeah it sounds like the Resident Evil scenario. :razz:

If only the conspiracy theorist had some evidence to back-up their claims :?

A better bioWeapon would be Ebola...that one sure packs a punch :shock:

It's funny how that virus shows up in remote village every now and then...
how convenient that the virus breakouts are always quarantined in time :P

P.S.
If you want to make a killing in the stock market...invest in pharmaceutical companies :-D