Katrina

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

That's what I call an uplifting, bittersweet success story. Right on :-)
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Yeah, it sure beats "the world owe's me an existance" story thats fo sho!

I like it when people do it on their own, the right way.
This space for rent
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I only thought of it because of your party time comments. Even if your country is falling apart, find something to celebrate! :)
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Yep. Kinda like my signature :D

Sorta.
Me

Post by Me »

ElfDude wrote:
ElfDude wrote:Here's one I've heard asked before. Should we be rebuilding that city, or is that a stupid idea?

Supposedly it's dropping further and further below sea level as time goes by. Are we just asking for more trouble?
I think they should re-build stronger and better than before. There is a great culture and history there and IMO if we lose our cluture we lose ourself. A great disparity of the haves and have nots and alot of crime in N.O. You can go to any big city and see that though. Crime isn't going to go away without giving hope to people and the only way I see it being reduced is by raising the minum wage substantially. Maybe our Gov. should bring back some programs that worked during the depression... such as the CCC
etc
I would wish for the people of the 9th ward to be able to return but that area may be better off in the future design of a stable enviorment. This country has a unique opportuntiy to make New Orleans one of the best citys in America, I just hope they don't fuck it up.
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Sure was nice of W to serenade them during all the trouble though.

ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

By Jeff Franks

NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - New Orleans, the "Big Easy" city famous for its good times and relaxed attitude, has become the Big Uneasy in recent weeks as its murder count has soared and anger grown at local leaders unable to stop the violence.

Annual Mardi Gras celebrations unfolded without incident this weekend, but fear of the rampant blood-spilling and its threat to the city's recovery from Hurricane Katrina are constant topics of conversation.

The homicide total for a still-young 2007 climbed to 27 on Saturday with the dead of a man shot at a nightclub on Friday.

He was one of nine people shot in separate incidents in a seven-hour span on Thursday and Friday, and the third of them to die.

Local leaders, worried crime may scare away tourists who are the life-blood of the economy, stressed that the shootings did not take place at Mardi Gras events and assured visitors violent crime is largely restricted to "hot spots," or impoverished neighborhoods where visitors seldom go.

"The truth is that crime traditionally has gone down during Mardi Gras," Mardi Gras historian Arthur Hardy said.

New Orleans has had one of the United States' highest per-capita murder rates for years, but the current violence has added to insecurities in a city worried about its future.

Only about 200,000 of the pre-Katrina population of 480,000 is back and much of the city is still damaged and abandoned. Recent news stories have said a growing number of those who returned are leaving because they are fed up with the slow recovery and the crime.

"If they don't get crime under control, if they can't convince people it's safe to be here, it doesn't matter how much money they get from the federal government, nobody's going to stay," Tulane University criminal justice instructor Ronnie Jones said.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

The people are angry that the government can't control the crime.

FINALLY people calling on the government to do what it was created to do! Protect the individual!

Too bad it is needed though. Self-control and freedom in these spots have turned into every man doing what is right in his own eyes and licentiousness. So now the government is being called in to control them since they won't control themselves. Their own fault if their freedoms are removed.
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

ElfDude wrote:
By Jeff Franks

NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - New Orleans, the "Big Easy" city famous for its good times and relaxed attitude, has become the Big Uneasy in recent weeks as its murder count has soared and anger grown at local leaders unable to stop the violence.

Annual Mardi Gras celebrations unfolded without incident this weekend, but fear of the rampant blood-spilling and its threat to the city's recovery from Hurricane Katrina are constant topics of conversation.

The homicide total for a still-young 2007 climbed to 27 on Saturday with the dead of a man shot at a nightclub on Friday.

He was one of nine people shot in separate incidents in a seven-hour span on Thursday and Friday, and the third of them to die.

Local leaders, worried crime may scare away tourists who are the life-blood of the economy, stressed that the shootings did not take place at Mardi Gras events and assured visitors violent crime is largely restricted to "hot spots," or impoverished neighborhoods where visitors seldom go.

"The truth is that crime traditionally has gone down during Mardi Gras," Mardi Gras historian Arthur Hardy said.

New Orleans has had one of the United States' highest per-capita murder rates for years, but the current violence has added to insecurities in a city worried about its future.

Only about 200,000 of the pre-Katrina population of 480,000 is back and much of the city is still damaged and abandoned. Recent news stories have said a growing number of those who returned are leaving because they are fed up with the slow recovery and the crime.

"If they don't get crime under control, if they can't convince people it's safe to be here, it doesn't matter how much money they get from the federal government, nobody's going to stay," Tulane University criminal justice instructor Ronnie Jones said.
One should KNOW that, along with the return of law-abiding citizens, the criminal element would return as well. WELL DUH.
The only cops you're gonna see there are gonna be on Bourbon Street.

You're on your own elsewhere.
Don't start none...won't be none.
Mr. Potatoe Head

Post by Mr. Potatoe Head »

Don't forget your beads and yell... "show me your tits"

Less people this year than last, a lot of curiosity seekers last year. They where giving bus tours of the 9th ward around this time last year, I guess seeing is believing.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Mr. Potatoe Head wrote:Don't forget your beads and yell... "show me your tits".
Now now...That's ILLEGAL there now. :wink: :roll:
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

ElfDude wrote:Sure was nice of W to serenade them during all the trouble though.

Hahahaha! I missed this before. Nice one, Elf.

Poor old George Image
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Big Blue Owl wrote:
ElfDude wrote:Sure was nice of W to serenade them during all the trouble though.

Hahahaha! I missed this before. Nice one, Elf.

Poor old George Image
"If I were a Carpenter...."
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

So is this becoming a "What is George singing thread"?
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

awip2062 wrote:So is this becoming a "What is George singing thread"?
sorry Mumsey. I'm SO busted. :cry:

*girds up for remedial/punitive duct-taping*