United 93

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

schuette

Post by schuette »

you know I think why I dislike 'religion' so much....whether it's muslim or chrisitianity....or every religion that has been and probably ever will be...it's the biggest murderer of all time....when has a war been started that does not involve religion or greed?
and dont get me started on governments....they may govern us but they dont listen to us...
we have a leader who will suck the fucking shit out of Bush's arse and you've got a leader who thinks he's in a fucking movie!!!...sorry if anyone disagrees (I can hear you all already ;))....but it's what I believe...none of them are 'leaders'
I may sound like someone who doesnt live in the 'real' world but I cant see the point to all these wars....I aint gonna start a fight with my neighbour cuz they're not the same religion as me or cuz I want their house...why cant governements be like that also...?

oh and the biggest oxymoron of all...Holy Wars...
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

Schu, That is the whole point. You nailed it. Do people really think God is Ok with killing people in his name? I am not big on religion, I do believe there is a God and Heaven and I hope I get there someday, but I think God loves everyone regardless of how they practice their faith and he would never condone the killing of his children in his own name.
Happy 2015!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Okay, you all know that I call myself a Christian, and you may know that I take it REALLY seriously. I am with Soup in that I don't believe He wants us out there killing in His name. I do believe He is okay with us defending ourselves though.
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Initial reviews of "93" say the movie is really painful, but that's kind of a no-brainer huh? :?
Don't start none...won't be none.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

This is from MSN main page from yesterday.

'RV' Passes 'United 93' to Win Box Office
Apr 30, 2:31 PM EST

Audiences hit the road with Robin Williams as his family-vacation romp "RV" opened at No. 1 with $16.4 million, while the acclaimed Sept. 11 drama "United 93" debuted with $11.6 million.

Studio estimates Sunday had Universal Pictures' "United 93" in second place, just ahead of Disney's sports comedy "Stick It," which premiered with $11.3 million. Those rankings could change once final numbers are released Monday.

The weekend's other new wide release, Lionsgate's spelling-bee drama "Akeelah and the Bee," was No. 8 with $6.25 million.

The 20th Century Fox release "RV" was expected to debut on top, but "United 93" had been an unknown quantity, with Hollywood analysts wondering whether movie-goers were ready to relive the horrors of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

"It's not about the positioning of the film. It's about the fact that the American public spoke out," said Nikki Rocco, head of distribution for Universal Pictures. "This is a wonderful result. What they said was that it wasn't too soon for a film about Sept. 11."

Married couples accounted for just over half the "United 93" audience, and 71 percent of viewers were 30 and older, according to Universal.

With painstaking authenticity, "United 93" recounts the horrific end of passengers who fought back against their hijackers aboard one of the commandeered planes, which crashed in rural Pennsylvania.

Families of those killed aboard Flight 93 cooperated with director Paul Greengrass ("The Bourne Supremacy," "Bloody Sunday"), who re-creates the experiences of passengers and air-traffic controllers in a documentary-style drama. "United 93" earned widespread praise from critics.

Shot on a modest budget of $15 million, "United 93" should easily turn a profit once theatrical, television and DVD revenues are tallied. Universal said it will donate 10 percent of the first weekend's grosses to the Flight 93 National Memorial in Pennsylvania.

Playing in 1,795 theaters, about half as many as "RV," "United 93" averaged a solid $6,462 a cinema, the best results among the top-10 movies.

"We can now kind of put to bed any idea that people are not ready to see this type of movie.

The numbers speak for themselves," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations.

Coming this August is Hollywood's second Sept. 11 dramatization, Oliver Stone's "World Trade Center," starring Nicolas Cage in the story of two Port Authority policemen trapped in the rubble of the twin towers.

"RV," starring Williams as a dad taking his family on a slapstick-filled vacation, debuted in 3,639 theaters and averaged $4,507. The gymnastics tale "Stick It," starring Missy Peregrym and Jeff Bridges, averaged $5,523 in 2,038 theaters.

Overall business rose for the sixth-straight weekend, with the top-12 movies taking in $90.7 million, up 12 percent from the same weekend last year. After a big slump in 2005, attendance is running 4 percent ahead of last year's, with Tom Cruise's "Mission: Impossible III" opening Friday and kicking off what is expected to be a huge summer at the movies.

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc. Final figures will be released Monday.

1. "RV," $16.4 million.

2. "United 93," $11.6 million.

3. "Stick It," $11.3 million.

4. "Silent Hill," $9.3 million.

5. "Scary Movie 4," $7.8 million.

6. "The Sentinel," $7.6 million.

7. "Ice Age: The Meltdown," $7.05 million.

8. "Akeelah and the Bee," $6.25 million.

9. "The Wild," $4.7 million.

10. "The Benchwarmers," $4.4 million.
This space for rent
anthem

Post by anthem »

haven't seen it yet. hope to soon.

da, are you an al qaida supporter?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I think I will have to wait until it is out on video.
Onward and Upward!
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

anthem wrote:da, are you an al qaida supporter?
That has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen/heard. What makes a person think that if another doesn't support one side of a debate/argument the he/she automatically supports the other? Very rarely is the answer black or white.
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
anthem

Post by anthem »

by-tor wrote:
That has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen/heard. What makes a person think that if another doesn't support one side of a debate/argument the he/she automatically supports the other? Very rarely is the answer black or white.
it is a dumb question, since the answer is a predictable, "no". then the logical follow up question would be, "how would your rhetoric be any different if you were an al aqaida supporter?". and it's a question i'd like to hear answered.
rushlight

Post by rushlight »

Back off.
I love my Welshman.
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

No. But d'you think I'd say "yes," even if I were? That's the other reason it's a dumb question.
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

Even I thought that was a dumb question :?
Happy 2015!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

soupy...got some pics 4 ya...

Don't start none...won't be none.
anthem

Post by anthem »

Devil's Advocate wrote:
No. But d'you think I'd say "yes," even if I were? That's the other reason it's a dumb question.
sure. most lines of questioning start off by asking the obvious. but you've avoided the second question. the real question.
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

DA does not support terrorism. He just has a different opinion from some of us here. That does not mean he supports terrorism, he just views things differently which is his right. I do not agree with his politics, but he certainly has the right to express his opinion without be personally attacked or branded a supporter of terrorism. That is just silly. My opinion is you owe him an apology as this forum is for friendly debate not personal attacks. Now place nice or the injun will give you the tape. :razz: :-D
Happy 2015!