Why they hate us

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Yes, yes we were. :-D
This space for rent
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Okay...

I never saw the movie, but I remember friends in high school talking about it.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

ElfDude wrote:I just got the zit thing!

DIDJANOW!! That's pretty good for not seeing the movie! :headbang:
Don't start none...won't be none.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Considering that the friend told me about that scene in 1978 or 79 and I hadn't heard about it since... I guess that shows my brain isn't completely gone...
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Elfie, I know how to fix that.
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

awip2062 wrote:Elfie, I know how to fix that.
I'm sure there are plenty of ways...
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Yes, but I won't dement you purposefully.
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

A True Redneck

I know you've all seen "redneck" jokes before.

In spite of that, take a moment or two and read the following.

It may be a bit different from others you've read.

You might be a redneck if. . .

1. It never occurred to you to be offended by the phrase, "One nation, under God."

2. You've never protested about seeing the 10 Commandments posted in public places.

3. You still say "Christmas", instead of "Winter Festival."

4. You bow your head when someone prays.

5. You stand and place your hand over your heart when they play the National Anthem.

6. You treat Vietnam vets with great respect, and always have.

7. You've never burned an American flag.

8. You know what you believe and you aren't afraid to say so--no matter who is listening.

9. You respect your elders and expect your kids to do the same.

10. You'd give your last dollar to a friend.

We have enjoyed the redneck jokes for years.

It's time to take a reflective look at the core beliefs of a culture that values home, family, country and God.

If I had to stand before a dozen terrorists who threaten my life, I'd choose half a dozen or so rednecks as back-up.

Tire irons, squirrel guns and grit -- that's what rednecks are made of.

I hope I'm one of those.

If you feel the same, pass this on to your redneck friends.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Amen!
Onward and Upward!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I read a quote from Bill Ward today on Blabbermouth that kinda fits with this topic.

Here tiz!

BLACK SABBATH drummer Bill Ward has posted the following message on his official web site:

"So the news today has reported that Iran is replacing Western names with alternative names. Words like 'pizza' are not to be used. 'Elastic bread' ? much more hip.

"In a bigger picture, if this is the beginning of a new Iranian trend/principle to separate itself from Western ideas, culture and words, then perhaps Iran being so offended by the West wouldn't mind separating itself from the following also: the light bulb, cars, aircraft, TV, radio, the computer, Western technology, Western medicine, Coke and Pepsi, the refrigerator, Levi's, CD players, DVDs, CDs, the Internet, missile technology, the microphone (for speeches), the amplifier and sound system, the bulldozer, cement, the gun, the machine gun, canned food, film (movies), and electricity. Or is it just the words that offend.

"This letter is in no way intended to be a sarcasm or criticism towards the Iranian people as a whole. It is realized that, in all countries, there are healthy and sick individuals throughout."
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Heh. There's a state in India that just DID ban Coke and Pepsi...
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/08/0 ... dl1pq.html
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Okay, but India banned the products due to pesticides in the drinks, not the words for being offensive as Western words.
Onward and Upward!
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

awip2062 wrote:I read a quote from Bill Ward today on Blabbermouth that kinda fits with this topic.

Here tiz!

BLACK SABBATH drummer Bill Ward has posted the following message on his official web site:

"So the news today has reported that Iran is replacing Western names with alternative names. Words like 'pizza' are not to be used. 'Elastic bread' ? much more hip...."
"Freedom Fries," anyone? :roll:
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Mmmmm... freedom fries... *drooling noises*
Meh, the French couldn't make good fries (chips) anyway. The best ones come from Belgium.

Okay, joking aside, there's a marked (and obvious) difference.

A few American establishments (never saw this personally) were so fed up with the French that they changed a few words on their menu. They exercised their freedom of speech.

In Iran it sounds like it's a government action being taken, another freedom being restricted.

The French do this too, actually. They have a government entity devoted to keeping their language "pure". When cognates from other languages (English in particular) start to creep in they ban them by law. Not from everyday speech, but from advertising and such. For example, in 1984, the Sony Walkman's popularity had taken ahold. Any portable personal cassette player was being called a Walkman by the population. The government had to put a stop to that. They passed a law that those advertising personal cassette players now had to call them a "balladeur". :roll:
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

ElfDude wrote:Mmmmm... freedom fries... *drooling noises*
Meh, the French couldn't make good fries (chips) anyway. The best ones come from Belgium.

Okay, joking aside, there's a marked (and obvious) difference.

A few American establishments (never saw this personally) were so fed up with the French that they changed a few words on their menu. They exercised their freedom of speech.

In Iran it sounds like it's a government action being taken, another freedom being restricted.

The French do this too, actually. They have a government entity devoted to keeping their language "pure". When cognates from other languages (English in particular) start to creep in they ban them by law. Not from everyday speech, but from advertising and such. For example, in 1984, the Sony Walkman's popularity had taken ahold. Any portable personal cassette player was being called a Walkman by the population. The government had to put a stop to that. They passed a law that those advertising personal cassette players now had to call them a "balladeur". :roll:
We DO still call 'em FREEDOM FRIES here....There's a restaurant in town that totally removed "French" (and any THING French) from the menu...

"Pardon me...Would you have any Gray Poop-On"

We'll play their silly game :roll: