guns

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

schuette

Post by schuette »

Me wrote:I am interested to know Schuette what are the gun laws in Scotland?
unless it's a registered 'gun club' where the guns are locked up and not allowed to leave the premises all guns are illegal in Scotland.

well I say all gun but air-guns are still legal but in the past couple of years due to fatalities by airguns they are trying to get them banned as well

I would like to add that since the law was introduced in 1996 (after Thomas Hamiliton walked into a primary school and killed 16 children and their teacher) gun crimes have been reduced....apart from airguns which have increased

and not that it makes any difference I will add that the the primary school that Thomas Hamiliton walked into is about 20 mile from me....
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

schuette wrote:
unless it's a registered 'gun club' where the guns are locked up and not allowed to leave the premises all guns are illegal in Scotland.

well I say all gun but air-guns are still legal but in the past couple of years due to fatalities by airguns they are trying to get them banned as well

I would like to add that since the law was introduced in 1996 (after Thomas Hamiliton walked into a primary school and killed 16 children and their teacher) gun crimes have been reduced....apart from airguns which have increased

and not that it makes any difference I will add that the the primary school that Thomas Hamiliton walked into is about 20 mile from me....
sorry to hear about that Schu. My condolences to all. What a monster.
Don't start none...won't be none.
Me

Post by Me »

schuette wrote:

Has there been a significate reduction in crime? I am sorry for about that stupid idiot monster jerk face sick bastard oh the hurt he left behind I'd like to put a cork screw in his eye :x The Armish are really a special kind caring loving breed able to forgive and move on I know forever with a heavy heart though
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
schuette

Post by schuette »

I've read that there is a reduction of 17% in gun crime......unfortunately there has been an 11% increase in airgun crimes

in actual fact knives are a much bigger problem than what guns have ever been
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Please don't take this as flippant, but...doesn't this just show that it isn't the weapon that is the problem?
Onward and Upward!
schuette

Post by schuette »

how do you work that one out?......guns were banned and gun crime was reduced by 17%......airguns weren't so people used them instead....seems to me the weapon is the problem

and yes I know it's the people behind the gun and not the gun itself but the harder it is to get a gun the less people are pulling the trigger
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

....seems to me the weapon is the problem

and yes I know it's the people behind the gun and not the gun itself but the harder it is to get a gun the less people are pulling the trigger
Just think about what you said there....and a little less people pulling the trigger but more people doing other violent things...then there are knives, clubs, numchucks, swords...etc
awip2062 wrote:
Xanadu wrote: LOL somebody had to pull the trigger :lol: nobody has ever to my knowledge been killed BY A GUN...people have been killed by idoits using a gun but never by a gun itself :roll:
And that is why if we don't change from the inside out, deal with the issues causing these "symptoms," the murders will continue, just with different instruments.
We're all mad here!
Me

Post by Me »

Still 17% I'd take that but then again the people over here dealing drugs etc are mostly killing each other... let them, less trash to take care of. We are always going to have the sick f(#)s and that is due to many factors... society, media we could go on and on and there is no simple solution. Perhaps other than ALOT stiffer penalties towards the perp's. I bet if we started cutting peoples privates off, there would be a 50% reduction in crime. :twisted:
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Please don't take this as flippant either...

If the teacher in the primary school had been armed and trained, Thomas Hamiliton might have only taken out 1 student instead of 16 plus the teacher. In fact, if he'd thought there was a possibility of someone shooting back he probably wouldn't have tried to carry out his horrible plot.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
schuette

Post by schuette »

you honestly think a primary school teacher....or any teacher should be armed!!!......what a sad country you live in if your teacher's have to be armed...
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Yep, parts of our country are sad. That comes with freedom. Freedom to become the best you can be also leades to some choosing to be the worst they can be. But the event you brought up was in your country... it's not just an American thing. And you dodged the point. :) An armed and prepared teacher could have prevented the tragedy.

Now, nobody said teachers HAVE to be armed. It should absolutely be a voluntary thing. And special training would be required, just as it is for police. Sure, some people aren't cut out for that. But some are. At the moment this very thing is being talked about in my state government. We have plenty of teachers who have served in the military or have spent years in gun clubs or have grown up hunting... some who already have concealed carry permits. And who, in a moment of crisis like that, would be wanting to protect those children more than their teacher? Seems that in a world of crime (and we do live in a world of crime) the smart thing to do is be prepared, not just rely on hope that "it could never happen here".

Ideally, I prefer Dawn's solution. If we'd all raise children who would never do such a thing, proposals like the one above would not be needed. But since that's not happeneing, preparedness seems to me to be the second best alternative.

I know I could be wrong in that. If someone has alternative solutions, I'm all ears.
schuette

Post by schuette »

I would pull my child out of a school as quick as lightening if I thought their teacher was armed....even if it meant I had to go to prison for it..

everyone has it in them to flip out at time....whether military or not and I will refuse to let my child anywhere near someone with a gun
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

What's to prevent a flipped out teacher from bringing a gun and going on a shooting spree now?
schuette

Post by schuette »

cuz a teacher in Scotland is gonna find it hard to find a gun
schuette

Post by schuette »

something tells me that on this issue we are always gonna disagree...we have had one school shooting in 10 years....you have recently had 3 in one week...I know what country I want my kids to go to school in