Today's Headlines

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

You leave my $28 jeans out of this! :-D
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

YYZ30 wrote:You leave my $28 jeans out of this! :-D
Mine are $12. :oops:
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

pssssst I have to shop at the tall and fat shop.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

ElfDude wrote:Why, in the midst of this conversation, does no one mention all of Obama's $1500 suits? How many did he get?
You knew it and I knew it, but what would be the point?

It doesn't mean a thing to anybody who voted for him. Just more proof positive of far left bias.

Sorry America, but it's there.

You know - the verbally gut shoot republicans all you want, but don't you dare say anything about a democrat - kind of thing.
Don't start none...won't be none.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Here's what I've been thinking about this Palin stuff that's come down after the election: What does this say about McCain? IF it is true, if she is as stupid as these people claim, well, then it says that we were right in not electing him. If he chooses such an ignorant VP as she is claimed to be, his chances of making equally poor choices in other areas are high.
Onward and Upward!
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

I never even thought about all the others, or Bill Clintons Gold plated hair cuts. Oh well. I guess they all get their perks and they are all crooks too.

As long as I can live my life I guess I'm ok and not all the same.
This space for rent
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

So, FOX news is joining the attack on Palin, and CNN is defending her? This is getting interesting!
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/06/ ... cnnSTCText

One little excerpt:
Sarah Palin is who she is, which is why I find it so stunning that the very people who introduced us to her, who told us she would make a great vice president, have now turned on her with a vengeance.

They are the top advisers to John McCain's failed campaign and they are desperate to find someone to blame for their long, long list of mistakes. They have been launching grenades at Palin and her supporters. CNN has found some of their allegations to be patently false.
More thoughts later when I have time to type.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Governor Palin denies the allegations, along with CNN.
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - Gov. Sarah Palin denounced anonymous criticisms leveled at her by former John McCain aides as lies, including allegations that Republican lawyers were traveling to Alaska to reclaim her high-priced wardrobe and that she didn't know Africa was a continent.

"Those accounts are not true," the former Republican vice presidential candidate said in her first public comments on the matter since the election Tuesday.

Palin returned Friday to her Anchorage governor's office and said she had no immediate plans to build on her newfound national name-recognition and popularity with the Republican base for a possible 2012 presidential run.

Instead, Palin said, she wanted only to get back to the governor's desk to advance a proposed pipeline tapping Alaska's vast North Slope natural gas reserves and to prepare Alaska's proposed 2010 budget.

As for the vice presidential campaign, Palin denounced criticism from unidentified McCain campaign aides as "cowardly." She said she found it frustrating trying to respond to false allegations when she didn't know who was making them.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Gee, what a nice party to belong to. Be a part of a losing ticket, and get smeared by the people who were just days ago trying to make you the second most powerful person in the nation. :roll:

Yeah, I want to be a Republican. NOT!
Onward and Upward!
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

They have to shove blame and failure somewhere. John McCain is a freakin HERO, evidently............. she is just a freak....... to the Repubs.
This space for rent
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Still says a ton to me about McCain that he would choose a person that is so bad for the job. lol

I see McCain as being implicit in this, too, because we don't hear him telling his people that they need to quit it and back off of her.
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Okay, though my hands are still shaking from the leaf blower I'm going to take a few minutes and share some thoughts. Disclaimer: these thoughts are mine. I'm not echoing any talking head out there (though I've heard some of them echo my thoughts a tiny bit in the last couple of days).

For the past couple of months, the press has been out to make Sarah Palin look stupid and inept. The blogosphere has been trying to make her look evil. So many untrue allegations were made, and even repeated in this forum. Her son tried to sever school bus brake lines and took a plea deal to go into the military instead of jail. She tried to ban and burn books. She was a member of a secessionist organization. She hates blacks (that?s the 90?s McCarthyism in play there? if you need to destroy someone accuse them of racism). All turned out to be pure fabrications. Ten horrible alleged quotes were spread around the Internet. All turned out to be fabrications.

Now we have un-named insiders telling us about how stupid and temperamental she was. It's turning out that these stories are false as well.

So... what is going on? Who is this woman that has such a barrage of lies and smears thrown at her from all sides (all sides but one, and I?ll get to that in a sec)?

I think the answer to that can be found in a look at what she was doing before the spotlight hit and who liked her then. Know who liked her then? The people that knew her, that's who. Her constituents loved her. Before she stepped into the spotlight she enjoyed an approval rating in her state of over 80%. I've never lived in a state where a governor had that kind of approval. Have you? You don?t earn that by being stupid or evil.

So, who didn't like her in Alaska? Or better yet, who disliked her the most in Alaska? The old Republican network, that's who. That was who the press could find to say less than favorable things about her. And why was that? Because they were a corrupt good-old-boy network and she took them on! And she reformed things! And her constituents LOVED it.

We can only speculate on why McCain chose her. The vetting process remains a secret. Was it because he hoped to attract disenfranchised Hillary voters? Was it because he hoped to attract the conservative base who didn?t like him? Who knows what his thought process was? But it was a brilliant move! The night that she first took the stage with him, the Republicans were excited like I haven?t seen them excited since the mid-90?s. The conservative Republican base didn?t want McCain in the primaries. They wanted Romney or Huckabee. But with them being split over those two, and the moderate Republican vote (and a lot of Democrats voting in Republican primaries) going to McCain, he got the nomination. It was a huge disappointment for the base. Ann Coulter said she?d campaign for the only person left with a chance who was more conservative than McCain: Hillary Clinton. The party was in a shambles.

But when Palin took the stage, they were excited. They saw exactly what a government of the people, by the people, and for the people meant all over again. She was the real deal, the genuine article. She was a smart mom with a big ol? list of accomplishments on her r?sum?. She wasn?t the Washington DC ruling class elite. She wasn?t a McCain or a Kerry or a Kennedy or a Biden? she was a human! A good human who had taken on corruption in the system and won (by golly)!

After making such a brilliant move, the McCain campaign then made their fatal flaw, IMO. They tried to muzzle her. They tried to make her message the exact same as their old DC insider elite presidential candidate. And when she spoke and went ?off topic? the people cheered and the McCain insiders cringed and the press had a field day. Katie Couric interviewed her for two hours and edited together the least flattering six minutes of their time together and put in on the evening news. And the press had a field day with it. But people who got to meet her and talk to her really liked her. She was what the old Abe Lincoln Ronald Reagan Republican party was all about.

And the press feared her. And the Obama camp feared her. And even the old country club blue-blood moderate Republican elites feared her. And she had to be destroyed. Even now that the race is over, her legacy must be destroyed. They simply cannot have her coming back to run again in four years. She?s just too dangerous to the status quo.

And those who claim that she was what brought down the McCain campaign? yeah they want you to think that. But the polls don?t support the claim. She remains very well liked in America. But she?s just too dangerous to the elite ruling class. She must be discredited. She must be destroyed.

That?s what I think anyway.
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

I must say, you expressed very well my very thoughts about Palin.

I would like to see her run on her own platform next go-round with an equally competent running mate.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Too cool!
guardian.co.uk, Sunday November 9 2008 00.01 GMT
The Observer, Sunday November 9 2008

Nuclear power plants smaller than a garden shed and able to power 20,000 homes will be on sale within five years, say scientists at Los Alamos, the US government laboratory which developed the first atomic bomb.

The miniature reactors will be factory-sealed, contain no weapons-grade material, have no moving parts and will be nearly impossible to steal because they will be encased in concrete and buried underground.
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

Ya know, when I was a nuclear machinist in the Navy, I kinda wondered why these units weren't already available. The science is some of the simplest available, and if people know how to work the device, there is less chance of danger than a hydroelectric plant. Much fewer moving parts.