Today's Headlines

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

ElfDude wrote:
Big Blue Owl wrote:Lying under oath, if you boil it down to the bare elements.

I'm with the jurors in that, although they believe he was guilty of lying to FBI, Grand Jury, and so on, he was lying to cover for others. They mentioned, "Where is Rove", etc.

He is definitely being used as a fall guy.
See, there's a big problem. "Where is Rove?" He had nothing to do with it. We have someone else who has confessed to the whole thing. There was nothing to cover up.

Let's say there's a car stolen in BBO's neighborhood. An investigation is launched. BBO is considered a suspect among others. He is questioned, along with others. Some of his answers seem contradictory, so they bring him back for more questioning. But then, during all this, the real car theif is caught. Actually, he comes in and confesses. But in spite of that, they charge BBO with lying to investigators and put him on trial. And THEN find him guilty! Even though he had nothing whatsoever to do with the car theft. Do you not see a problem with this picture?
Actually, I do. That's kind-of what I meant before, but didn't say it completely. That is our criminal justice system at work, and malfunctioning.

Nice analogy, Elf :-D
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Big Blue Owl wrote:
ElfDude wrote:
Big Blue Owl wrote:Lying under oath, if you boil it down to the bare elements.

I'm with the jurors in that, although they believe he was guilty of lying to FBI, Grand Jury, and so on, he was lying to cover for others. They mentioned, "Where is Rove", etc.

He is definitely being used as a fall guy.
See, there's a big problem. "Where is Rove?" He had nothing to do with it. We have someone else who has confessed to the whole thing. There was nothing to cover up.

Let's say there's a car stolen in BBO's neighborhood. An investigation is launched. BBO is considered a suspect among others. He is questioned, along with others. Some of his answers seem contradictory, so they bring him back for more questioning. But then, during all this, the real car theif is caught. Actually, he comes in and confesses. But in spite of that, they charge BBO with lying to investigators and put him on trial. And THEN find him guilty! Even though he had nothing whatsoever to do with the car theft. Do you not see a problem with this picture?
Actually, I do. That's kind-of what I meant before, but didn't say it completely. That is our criminal justice system at work, and malfunctioning.

Nice analogy, Elf :-D
Ah, sorry I misunderstood.

Does this remind anybody else of the Martha Stewart case? Not that she wasn't guilty of attempting a cover-up... I seem to remember something about shredding her financial records after they'd been subpeonad (sp?). I'm just remembering the juror afterwards who said something like, "This was a victory for the little people!" He went in with some class envy and a pre-concieved idea of "sticking it to the man" (or in this case, the woman). Not good.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

Martha Stewart's big mistake was trusting the prosecutor and over cooperating with them. Because she was honest to a fault, they decided to hang her out to dry. Why? Weren't those trying to hang her the same ones who think it's a crime in this world to make a profit? Weren't they the same ones who hate big oil and big tobacco because they are rich? Me think dear ole Martha was the original "Libby", being he fall guy for a bunch of pick-a-ninnies who can't stand it when some besides themselves is successful.
Big Blue Owl

Wednesday 3/7/07

Post by Big Blue Owl »

2 million have fled Iraq

Nearly 2 million Iraqis have fled their homeland -- what one U.N. official calls a "simmering crisis." In Jordan, Iraq refugees make up more than one-tenth of the population. In the last year, Dr. Nafie Abtan has gone from prominent doctor to refugee. "I feel disaster," he says.
ElfDude

Re: Wednesday 3/7/07

Post by ElfDude »

Big Blue Owl wrote:2 million have fled Iraq

Nearly 2 million Iraqis have fled their homeland -- what one U.N. official calls a "simmering crisis." In Jordan, Iraq refugees make up more than one-tenth of the population. In the last year, Dr. Nafie Abtan has gone from prominent doctor to refugee. "I feel disaster," he says.
Maybe they could help rebuild the depleted population of Mexico? :)
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Once again, a couple of headlines today that make me grin:

DC 'Snow Advisory' Issued on Day of Congressional Global Warming Hearing...

One inch of snow forces Senate to delay votes...

PETA TO AL GORE: YOU CAN'T BE A MEAT-EATING ENVIRONMENTALIST...
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Haha! Yeah, poor mexico. If only we could do SOMETHING to help those desperate people and their horrible population problems. My solution starts with the letter G and ends in the letter E, with a whole bunch of pretty letters in between.

...PETA. Whadda buncha dicks.

Al Gore. What a great singer :smt034
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Big Blue Owl wrote: ...PETA. Whadda buncha dicks.
They're an embarrassment to the rest of us non-meat eaters, that's for sure. :)
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Local headline news that hits close to home:

"PORT ANGELES - A man who threatened to stab police officers during a 2?-hour standoff Tuesday will face charges of either attempted murder of a police officer or first-degree assault.

"He is an extreme danger to the community, to the county and to police officers," Stormy Howell, a deputy prosecutor, told Clallam Clallam County Superior Court Judge George Wood on Wednesday.

Howell said that if she does not charge Nathan Alden Inman, 23, with attempted murder, she plans to charge him with first degree felony assault.

Meanwhile, the Port Angeles man has been charged with lesser offenses.

He was charged Wednesday in Clallam County Superior Court with second degree malicious mischief, domestic violence and possession of methamphetamine.

The lesser charges were filed by the Clallam County Prosecuting Attorney's Office to hold Inman in jail as prosecutors and the Port Angeles Police Department finish their investigation of Tuesday morning's standoff.

Wood approved a $250,000 bail and signed a protection order keeping Inman away from his mother, should he be released.

Inman is scheduled to be arraigned March 16. He remained in Clallam County jail on Wednesday.

Standoff
The charges stemmed from a standoff with police on Tuesday, after Inman's mother called police at 7:50 a.m., saying he had threatened her.

Inman was in a motor home in the back yard of his mother's house at 932 W. Sixth St., when police officers arrived.

He told the officers he planned to stab them, said Port Angeles Police Detective Jason Viada.

More police officers were called and Inman continued to make threats, Viada said.

At one point, Inman told a negotiator that he was willing to be killed by the police, Viada said.

Multiple canisters of tear gas and pepper spray did not affect Inman, who was prepared with a gas mask.

As gas and pepper spray were lobbed into the small motor home, Inman waited inside with a large knife and a four-foot spear.

Viada broke one of the motor home's windows, saw Inman and used a Taser, an electric stun gun, to subdue him so officers could arrest him.

Police found a small amount of methamphetamine in Inman's shirt pocket, according to court documents.

Protection orders
The protection order approved Wednesday is the third one that has been created to keep Inman from contacting his mother.

In 2001, the Clallam County District Court ordered Inman not to contact his mother after she filed civil charges against her son, accusing him of domestic violence.

The court also approved a protection order in 2006, although Inman's mother asked to have it dropped a few months later.

As a juvenile, Inman was arrested and charged four times.

According to court documents, he faced three separate charges in 1998 - bringing a weapon to school, drug possession and third degree assault.

In 2000, he faced an alcohol possession charge."

We know this guy. He used to come to church as a kid and we worked with him on Wednesday nights. Then he got into drugs.

Zep and I saw him recently and he offered to sell us the motorhome mentioned in the story for $1500, never mentioning to us that it was his mother's. We declined. It was where he was living, but he was willing to sell it to get money.
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

awip2062 wrote: We know this guy. He used to come to church as a kid and we worked with him on Wednesday nights. Then he got into drugs.

Zep and I saw him recently and he offered to sell us the motorhome mentioned in the story for $1500, never mentioning to us that it was his mother's. We declined. It was where he was living, but he was willing to sell it to get money.
Yowch.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Drugs are so AWESOME! :shock:

Wow. Good thing you guys weren't looking for an excellent investment opportunity at the time. He could have bought the most GIANT rock of crack for $1500.00.

Strange his name is Inman. I came to this thread to announce the death of one of my favorite British actors:

John Inman, best known for his role in the 1970s sitcom Are You Being Served?, has died in hospital aged 71.

John Inman: Are You Being Served? star dies aged 71.

The actor, famous for his catchphrase "I'm free!", died in St Mary's Hospital, Paddington, this morning after being ill for some time.

This dude was absolutely brilliant.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Big Blue Owl wrote:
John Inman, best known for his role in the 1970s sitcom Are You Being Served?, has died in hospital aged 71.

John Inman: Are You Being Served? star dies aged 71.

The actor, famous for his catchphrase "I'm free!", died in St Mary's Hospital, Paddington, this morning after being ill for some time.

This dude was absolutely brilliant.
Yes he was! I loved that show!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I saw that too and made the connection with the names.

Seems that actor was well-liked.
Onward and Upward!
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Eddie Van Halen enters rehab

WTF happened to our hero? Oh yeah...
schuette

Post by schuette »

awip2062 wrote:I saw that too and made the connection with the names.

Seems that actor was well-liked.
he was a British institute...

and I cant believe that's Eddie Van Halen....he was gorgeous!