Is Global Warming a Sin?

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

zepboy

Post by zepboy »

Hey, glad to know I can help you build your faith in something! LOL
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Right on, buddy.
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

*rereads thread title*

Then the cows that produce methane are going to hell
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

Me wrote:I know some of you don't agree with climate change/global warming but there is a new datum in effect and updated because the reality is the oceans have risen from 1' to 3' yet there is many a drought... it's accelerating.

Nevertheless I am still going on vacation 8)
The problem is, that our datum is "incomplete" as we have only kept records from the mid 1800's onward- we may be in a noraml "warming" part of the "Warming/cooling" cycle.

Just presenting one fact of several hundred thousand in this argument.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Anecdotally... the vikings named Greenland what they did because it was green when they discovered it. At the same time, Scotland was able to grow vinyards. Obviously those things are no longer true. Since that time the planet went through what is called the "little ice age". Now we seem to be coming out of it (maybe... the planet hasn't warmed measurably since 1998).

Why do some wish to convince us that the planet is better off with an average global temperature like we had during the 1940's as opposed to one like we had during the 16th century? Were the warm temperatures of the 16th century wiping out species left and right and destroying humankind? Not that I've heard of. Perhaps with a warmer AGT we will be able to grow food in places where we currently cannot.

There's a lot that could be discussed.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

ElfDude wrote:Anecdotally... the vikings named Greenland what they did because it was green when they discovered it. At the same time, Scotland was able to grow vinyards. Obviously those things are no longer true. Since that time the planet went through what is called the "little ice age". Now we seem to be coming out of it (maybe... the planet hasn't warmed measurably since 1998).

Why do some wish to convince us that the planet is better off with an average global temperature like we had during the 1940's as opposed to one like we had during the 16th century? Were the warm temperatures of the 16th century wiping out species left and right and destroying humankind? Not that I've heard of. Perhaps with a warmer AGT we will be able to grow food in places where we currently cannot.

Good points!
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Agreed, but my difficulty with "warming" is that I love/crave/can't live without winter, snow, cold, ice, fresh, humidity-free air. I hate bugs, heat, mugginess, burning hot surfaces, and having to use AC. So I and others like me are basically facked. Maybe a move to Alaska would be good, but then I'd probably be swept right back on a wave of melting ice mountains.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Big Blue Owl wrote:Agreed, but my difficulty with "warming" is that I love/crave/can't live without winter, snow, cold, ice, fresh, humidity-free air. I hate bugs, heat, mugginess, burning hot surfaces, and having to use AC. So I and others like me are basically facked. Maybe a move to Alaska would be good, but then I'd probably be swept right back on a wave of melting ice mountains.
How about Minnesota? :D
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

That might be good for a few years, eh? I could legally do Canada for 6 months out of the year as well, right? Wow, suddenly I'm an illegal alien seeking an igloo to lounge around naked in.

Global Warming is a SIN!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

ElfDude wrote:Anecdotally... the vikings named Greenland what they did because it was green when they discovered it. At the same time, Scotland was able to grow vinyards. Obviously those things are no longer true. Since that time the planet went through what is called the "little ice age". Now we seem to be coming out of it (maybe... the planet hasn't warmed measurably since 1998).

I was taught that Greenland and Iceland, respectively, were named so
by the discoverers to fool other explorers into thinking the geography
was true to the name!

In other words, Greenland is actually ICY, and Iceland GREEN. :shock: :D
Don't start none...won't be none.
Rocinante

Post by Rocinante »

CygnusX1 wrote: In other words, Greenland is actually ICY, and Iceland GREEN. :shock: :D
....and obviously then, Scotland stuck with what they knew and remains....... Scotty :-D
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Rocinante wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote: In other words, Greenland is actually ICY, and Iceland GREEN. :shock: :D
....and obviously then, Scotland stuck with what they knew and remains....... Scotty :-D
Noooooooo...that means you're from the land of SCOTCH.

I love scotch....scotchscotchscotch :-D

Does that mean that IRELAND is the land of IRE?? :x grrrrr.... :-D
Last edited by CygnusX1 on Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocinante

Post by Rocinante »

CygnusX1 wrote:
Rocinante wrote:
Jeez...they can be.....if you don't buy them a drink :-D Which is always a pleasure for me, however, they always try and leave before you're finished drinkin' yur grog :-D :-D :-D :-D
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Rocinante wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:
Rocinante wrote:
Jeez...they can be.....if you don't buy them a drink :-D Which is always a pleasure for me, however, they always try and leave before you're finished drinkin' yur grog :-D :-D :-D :-D
LEAVE??? BEFORE YOU FINISH YOUR DRINK???

That's just un-American. :roll: :P

Waste a beer or drink here and you'll get a foot-in-the-arse. :-D
Rocinante

Post by Rocinante »

CygnusX1 wrote:
Rocinante wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:
Rocinante wrote:
LEAVE??? BEFORE YOU FINISH YOUR DRINK???

That's just un-American. :roll: :P

Waste a beer or drink here and you'll get a foot-in-the-arse. :-D
That said....some of us don't know when to stop :bootyshake: :argue: :drinkers: :partyman: :smt084 :smt102 :smt097 :smt110 :smt117 :toimonster: :weedman: :happy6: