So Does the World Want the US to be Their Savior After All?

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

I wonder if the Mexican telephono company has a "For English, press 2" button????? :P

Or any other country for that matter.
This space for rent
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Big Blue Owl wrote:Geez, I sound like some kinda Archie Bunker bigotidiot.
I guess I'm just worried about the eventual explosion and the present irritations, if not dangers.
At least I hope that's what it is.
You don't sound like Archie. That's my job.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Hey! At least you have a job! :-D
Onward and Upward!
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Yeah! I've always been Meathead! Now I'm Arch. At least I'm not Edith. What do you think, Gloria?
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I think you can't have your cake and Edith too...
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Ooooh Awwcheeeeee!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Anyway, Bear finished off Dovey's birthday cake last night and we won't have any more until we celebrate Bear's birthday on the first Sunday in Novemeber.

Back on topic...

( :shock: ME GETTING BACK ON TOPIC?!?!??!)

Mr. Tater is right, there have always been clashes between different peoples who have come to this continent, all born here are native American; I'm an American Indian/Amerind/First Peoples....whatever it is you want to label me, it is just a label. (I prefer indian or heap ugh injun but won't freak at another term.); Native Mexicans have a real reason for wanting out of their country (sad, but that still doesn't make their economy our job); too many born in this land won't work because of pride.

I find it interesting that of all places, ever-tolerant Holland is tightening their borders and making it harder to immigrate there.

http://www.rferl.org/featuresarticle/20 ... 8a283.html

The meat of the article is:
PRAGUE, April 5, 2006 (RFE/RL) -- Dutch Immigration Minister Rita Verdonk says there are over 600,000 people in her country who don't speak proper Dutch and are mostly unemployed.

Verdonk argues that the Netherlands can no longer afford to welcome immigrants who will not integrate into mainstream society, which is why she has advocated a new restrictive visa system.

Under the new policy, which went into effect last month, would-be immigrants seeking a residency visa will have to pass a "civic-integration examination" before they arrive in the Netherlands. Applicants will have to pass a Dutch-language test administered at the Dutch Embassy in their country of origin. They will also have to take an exam testing their compatibility with Dutch liberal values. The exam includes a movie featuring homosexuals kissing and a scene at a nude beach. The movie emphasizes the point that this is all part of normal life in the Netherlands.
Now think if the US were doing those things! How the world would howl unfair at us! :roll:
Onward and Upward!
Wendy

Post by Wendy »

It is all up to the individual person at a basic level

"_ _ _ _ _ _ can no longer afford to welcome immigrants who will not integrate into mainstream society"

Tolerance and acceptance are lessons not easily learned.
Canada is officially bilingual and that was not an easy task
but it worked and Canadians do communicate and understand one another
better for it. imho if you keep an open mind and a have an
honest character at heart, all prejudice is irrelevant rhetoric.
We all have red blood and breathe oxygen, it is free will that
causes the problems of our society. One World in Peace Please.

Last edited by Wendy on Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sound verbalized tones touch textured feel scent wafted aroma see visualize observe sing dance live
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Wendy wrote:
Tolerance and acceptance are lessons not easily learned.
Agreed. In fact I would go so far as to say that nations never do become more tolerant as a whole. They simply become intolerant of different things.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Wendy wrote:I

"_ _ _ _ _ _ can no longer afford to welcome immigrants who will not integrate into mainstream society"
But do you know why Holland is no longer welcoming immigrants who will not integrate into mainstream society? They don't have trouble with the people being different, but they do have trouble with the people from other nations coming in and demanding that the native Hollanders change to fit the immigrants' desires. The murder of the great-nephew of Vincent Van Gogh and subsequent gunfight in a nearby park, which wounded a policeman and the shooter has something to do with it, too.

As for Canada handling the French and English languages and still communicating, what is going to happen when the Sikhs want you to add their language to the first two? Or the Chinese? Or....?

Personally, I am not troubled by immigration; I am troubled by immigrants who want to (1) come here illegally and/or (2) demand that those of us who were here first change for them. I don't see this as prejuidice on my part, but valuing the law of my land and not wanting to be forced to become something simply because someone wants to move here and have things like they were back home.

"You'll never make me like you/ I'm master of the moon!" Dio
Onward and Upward!
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Personally, I am not troubled by immigration; I am troubled by immigrants who want to (1) come here illegally and/or (2) demand that those of us who were here first change for them. I don't see this as prejuidice on my part, but valuing the law of my land and not wanting to be forced to become something simply because someone wants to move here and have things like they were back home.

I couldn't agree more.
This space for rent
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Pardon the interruption, but....

exactly WHAT part of ILLEGAL do illegal immigrant supporters not understand?

It begs the question, because the arguments are futile.

It's against the LAW. End of story.

okay... You can have your thread back. :-D
Don't start none...won't be none.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Thanks, T for putting this thought down succinctly and eloquently. That's what all my ranting meant. :-)
We all have red blood and breathe oxygen, it is free will that
causes the problems of our society. One World in Peace Please.
Wendy, that's a beautiful sentiment, and you're a lovely person, but over the thought of living in a soup where everything blends together, I choose free will where you can see (even from a distance) the differences and celebrate them. It's like, to them I say, "Do your own thing, I'll do mine. I can't afford to support you doing my thing because it takes all I have for me to do my thing. And unless I give it willingly, leave my thing alone."

Life is a complex texture of conflicting moralities.
Walkinghairball

"Do your own thing, I'll do mine. I can't afford to support you doing my thing because it takes all I have for me to do my thing. And unless I give it willingly, leave my thing alone."

And exactamundo on this one too. Thanks BBO!!!
This space for rent
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Anybody see the French President bail out of the "60 Minutes"
interview mid-show?

That took a spine. :roll:
Don't start none...won't be none.