my letter to the NAACP

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

I whole-heartedly agree that this is a necessary step. It's quite delicate, though. Unfortunately, the terms Black Rights and White Rights have very different connotations to the general public, and especially to the "minority" public (and white rights rarely refer to human rights.)

I find it sad that we have come so far and yet our brains aren't ready to accept this Oneness that we hope for. Well, by the sound of it, OUR brains are ready for it. It'll take, as Soupy says, minds like all of ours to go through being misunderstood, called racists and intolerants, coupled with constant vigilance. I'll have to clear some stuff off of my plate to make room for the important things.

It aint easy being cheesy :-D
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I'm currently reading My Grandfather's Son by Judge Clarence Thomas. In it he talks about how, while at Yale law school, a number of blacks there petitioned for their own dormitory. He couldn't understand why they wanted to be segregated after fighting segregation for so long.

When we try to fix problems, we usually create a swinging pendulum effect.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

so you are in? In my mind all men are created equal, no matter your skin color. There should be no black or white rights. Nobody should be able to hang a sign in public inviting just blacks to a party. That is akin to a sign hanging over a drinking fountain saying for whites only. Neither one has a place in today's society. If Sharpton and the NAACP is going to go after Imus or the Golf Channel, than he sure as hell better be going after the record companies that promote rap music. Freedom of speech applies to everyone, and if one offends you, but you don't do anything about the other because they are black, that is ole fashioned hypocrisy in my book. There should be nothing delicate about this. I know there is, but IMHO that should not be case.
Happy 2015!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

*tries to fins a good strong Soup box for Billy to stand on while he tells it like it is!*

You go, Soups, you go! Reverse discrimination is still discrimination!
Onward and Upward!
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

I agree with you yet again. This should not be the case. :(
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Soup4Rush wrote:so you are in? In my mind all men are created equal, no matter your skin color.
I'm in philosophically, sure. But there are a lot of special interest groups out there with a lot of money behind them who are pushing for these "group rights" that are rubbing you and me the wrong way. They exist not only for blacks but for gays, latinos, women, "injuns", etc. These groups are deeply entrenched in our political system. How to try to go about eliminating them and putting ourselves in a simple state of "all men are created equal" is beyond me. Far greater minds than mine have been working on this for years.

You may find allies in the Herritage Foundation or the KATO Institute. There are probably others whose names I don't know.

A few years ago there were conservative groups on colleges that were trying to demonstrate the errors of preferrential treatement by having "affirmative action bake sales". They'd set up a booth or table with a sign that read something like:

Cookies for sale
White Men $1
White Women $0.75
Latinos $0.50
Black Men $0.25
Black Women $0.25

They would model their prices based on the admissions policies of their schools. To me it looks very obvious what the message was... that we should all be treated equally. Something like MLK's color-blind society of which he dreamed. But people would come and find them and scream at them, calling them things like racists, bigots, facists, etc.

We still have a long ways to go in our society.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Me

Re: my letter to the NAACP

Post by Me »

awip2062 wrote:
Soup4Rush wrote:Maybe changing your name to the National Association for the Advancement of ALL People would be a good start.
AMEN!

You go my white Bro!

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Soupie))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

*offers frybread tacos and Matzoh Ball Soup to Soupie*
I like that quote above Soup, very well done indeed and you can count me in!

That actually pisses me off the more I think about it ya it's all about them even this election is looking that way more and more and I am for ALL people that sign just isn't right. Take a picture of that sign and lets get out in cyber space
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

day 2 and no response from the NAACP
Happy 2015!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Soup4Rush wrote:day 2 and no response from the NAACP
Put on a ski mask outside of a KFC, let the cops beat you down
on video and they'll be camping outside your front door.
Don't start none...won't be none.
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

I think giving an unfair advantage to a person just because they are black or some other minority is just wrong. This is America there are plenty of opportunities for scholarships if you make good grades and the such like that. So why should they have to make good grades just like everyone else? Most of the reason black people are unsuccessful has nothing to do with discrimination but their own attitude about education and all that. Its time we ged out of the dark ages and stop discriminating against the majority. I think it should be fair and equal, no advantage to any other. If people would just stop hating people for being different than them... Where I live the majority is black like 70% and many of them are very racist towards white people...WHAT FOR? I never did anything to them? Its like I go somewhere and am paying for my groceries and the cashier just smiled and said have a nice day to a black person and I walk up and say hello and smile at them but they frown at me and don't even respond just because I am white WTF?
We're all mad here!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

*grumbles*
Onward and Upward!
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

Xanadu wrote:I think giving an unfair advantage to a person just because they are black or some other minority is just wrong. This is America there are plenty of opportunities for scholarships if you make good grades and the such like that. So why should they have to make good grades just like everyone else? Most of the reason black people are unsuccessful has nothing to do with discrimination but their own attitude about education and all that. Its time we ged out of the dark ages and stop discriminating against the majority. I think it should be fair and equal, no advantage to any other. If people would just stop hating people for being different than them... Where I live the majority is black like 70% and many of them are very racist towards white people...WHAT FOR? I never did anything to them? Its like I go somewhere and am paying for my groceries and the cashier just smiled and said have a nice day to a black person and I walk up and say hello and smile at them but they frown at me and don't even respond just because I am white WTF?

right on Xanny.. racial discrimination sure does go both ways, eh.. I still think most people, regardless of their race are not racist, its the bad few from all races that keep racism alive and well in this country. It sure makes me feel good we at least don't have to worry about racism on this board anyway..
Happy 2015!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I am, too!
Onward and Upward!
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

I recently lived with a Chinese immigrant, he had been here about 5 years, terrible english alas as he always hung around with almost exclusively other chinese people and spoke the language more than english.

Big kicker is we tried to help him, job interviews, correcting his speach the whole bit, then he decided to rebel be more 'chinese' de-integrate, start telling people i am a racist as I correct his speech, even friends parents and really pissed me off. Then he decided to backtrack and now apparently has the attitude he will go out of his way to help other chinese people but otherwise if it is a white guy, it is a 'white problem' and should be solved by their own. You are in a nation which you immigrated buddy wake up.

The white population, I strongly feel is a scapegoat, we may not be racist like they claim, but as they are an 'opressed minority' people believe them and coddle them. Of course all in the name of equality. Sure there are racist and folks who should be put away but they are on all sides just because there are less of you in this particular area should not entail you anything I could not achieve on my own. Hard work and honourable action are all that should matter.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Sir Myghin wrote: Hard work and honourable action are all that should matter.
But that means work, more work than many are willing to put out.
Onward and Upward!