"High" School

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

You were still able to do THAT?!?!?! :shock:

Wow, Soups!
Onward and Upward!
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

back in the day, and I could wear pink and make it look good too.. :-D
Happy 2015!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

*has to agree there*
Onward and Upward!
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

soups--- making pink look good since 1986..
Happy 2015!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

1986, a good year. That's when H was born!
Onward and Upward!
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

then it was a good year indeed..
Happy 2015!
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

awip2062 wrote:1986, a good year. That's when H was born!
A great year even, I was ushered into this world kicking and screaming thens
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

damn, now I am feeling a little old.. 86 was when I graduated high school.,.
Happy 2015!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Double trouble!
Onward and Upward!
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

Soup4Rush wrote:back in the day, and I could wear a dress and make it look good too.. :-D

Fixed that for you.

*runs like hell*
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

YYZ30 wrote:
Soup4Rush wrote:back in the day, and I could wear a dress and make it look good too.. :-D

Fixed that for you.

*runs like hell*
I thought that was today! ;-)

*joins Zed in that run!*
Onward and Upward!
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

Hello Everyone!

It's been a while since I posted here, and it seems strange that this is the thread I do it in......

When I was younger, I was an unmitigated mess. I would drink, smoke, snort, absorb and yes, even inject anything that was in front of me. I "remember" (though that's probably a strange word for it) whole weeks going past in a blur of alchohol and narcotics.

My only saving grace is that I don't seem to have an "addictive" personality and I have been blessed with the constitution of an ox.

Consequently I was able to process all the garbage I put into my system far better than most. Pity the three very good friends I buried weren't able to deal with it quite as well.....There's nothing like seeing your best mate in a pine box to give you a short sharp reality check I can tell you!

Unfortunately, even that wasn't enough to halt the destructive spiral until one day...BAM!...wake up call. Coming to whilst being resucitated in Casualty (ER to those across the pond) and experiencing a defib shock whilst conscious! Not funny, let me tell you.

The rest is history. I wasn't as tough as I thought, and the legacy is a liver that is somewhat more scarred than it should be, though the rest of me came through it remarkably well. No psychological cravings, no withdrawal...nothing despite years of Heroin, Cocaine and other nastys abuse.

The real battle after that was trying to come to terms with real life without the chemical crutch. Filling the black void of despair was the hardest thing to do.

I solved this by working my arse off and saving all I could then buggering off round the world for a couple of years, roughing it in all sorts of places (thats a story for another day). I came back a changed man, and was able to start dealing with all the important stuff like career, job , marriage etc....and i was still only 23 years old.

Nowadays, I am very content with a high paying job, a nice house and a loving family. So you see, if I can bounce back after all that, then I don't really think a little bit of what is essentially high jinks is really going to damage people in later life.....
Ach, if Dougie was here he'd tell you himself....
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I am glad you were able to bounce back. I am sorry your friends were not able to survive. :-(

Recently I heard about a 14 year old girl here in town who fits what we've talked about here. Her parents don't mind her drinking or having sex. In fact, they've let her drink at home. With her 14 year old boyfriend, even, without asking his parents if it was okay with them that the boy drink. And it wasn't/isn't because both of the boy's parents have trouble with addictions and they don't want him touching the stuff so young. See, this is a BIG problem as far as I am concerned. The girl's parents should have asked the boy's parents before giving alcohol to a minor. The boy's parents have considered going to the police about this, but say they likely won't. Unless it happens again, which is doubtful as the boy is no longer allowed to be with the girl for yet another reason. The girl's parents, as I said above, also didn't mind her having sex, and, although, as the boy said to his mom, "We only had it three times," she got pregnant but miscarried and had to have a D n C. The mother of the boy is fuming! She trusted her boy in these people's care and now they've given him alcohol against her wishes and he's fathered a child (who will never come to term, but was still conceived). He is not emotionally ready to be a father. He's not mature enough mentally to be a father. Neither is the girl. There may be 14 year olds ready for parenthood, but, definitely not these.

I think that this would be far more common if all were legal; that parents who thought it was okay for their kids would defy the rights of the parents who wanted their kids to wait.
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

awip2062 wrote:I think that this would be far more common if all were
legal; that parents who thought it was okay for their kids would defy the
rights of the parents who wanted their kids to wait.
That is disturbing t.

My father put a boot in my ass when I got in trouble. My mom
MADE SURE that my father put a boot in my ass when I got in trouble.

POOF! no more trouble!

'Nuff said about that. People are not disciplining their kids. Plain and
simple.

And what about these young girls getting pregnant on a DARE!

What is the IQ of today's teenage society??

If a boy got a girl pregnant in my youth, he looked down the business end
of a shotgun and got the message to do the right thing.

Now it's like sport to them. I'm so disappointed.
Don't start none...won't be none.
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

here is the whole thing, I find myself as a parent with teenage kids so I am now on the flip side of this... my life has come full circle I guess, I used to go to the mall and pick up girls, now I go there to drop them off, that sorta thing.. anyway, what I mean is that I am not stupid, my kids are going to try sex, drugs, booze... most of us did.. I do not encourage it like t posted about, but if it happens, what can you really do about it. For me, it seems that all you can really do is talk to your kids and encourage them to make good choices, but you cannot go crazy and get all Adolf Hitler on them when they make a mistake due to a bad choice.
Happy 2015!