No Guns for the Military?

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

awip2062

No Guns for the Military?

Post by awip2062 »

Bear got his tax return and went to use it to purchase a shotgun and thereby also support our economy, but even though he is a member of the US Army, and an infantry man who has qualified as expert with the M4 (one I would think we should consider a good choice for gun ownership) he was denied.

Apparently the people in the store did not believe he was using his own driver's license to purchase the gun.

Now I get that the DL photo was pre-military days and he does look a bit different, but he had his military ID with him and he looks in that as he does now.

He was not allowed to use his military ID to purchase the gun because it has no physical address on it and one is required.

Still, one would think the military ID would establish who he is. I know the names match on the DL and military ID, and really wouldn't it be reasonable to think that one might look just a wee bit different when one's long hair has been buzzed off?
Onward and Upward!
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

Perhaps they thought he was an illegal Mexican immigrant. Prolly couldn't get a bank account either.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Like mother like son? LOL

He says he wants to learn Spanish because it will benefit him in the Army as he will really be able to convince someone he is from south of our border then. After all, when we went to L. A. more of the people who didn't know him spoke to him first in Spanish rather than English, I think.
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Solution: Buy it somewhere else.

Preferably, a sporting goods store next to a military base.

Done deal. They take care of their own.
Don't start none...won't be none.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

He plans to go out again soon and do so.
Onward and Upward!
schuette

Post by schuette »

okai im ready to get shot down in flames...but...if the law requires an address then one has to be produced...yes i now Bear has surpassed his loyalty to the country..and he knows how to handle a gun...but..sorry if an address is required then so be it...just cuz he served in the army shouldnt automatically assume he can buy a gun...has he not ID that has got his address...like the law requires...?

so waiting for the backlash lol
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

No backlash. He had ID with his address, his driver's license, but the store people didn't believe it was him in the photo cuz he had long hair in it and a buzz cut now.

His military ID has no address but the picture is of him with a buzz cut so it should prove he is the man he is claiming to be and they should have taken his driver's license for the ID with an address on it cuz of that.

He is going to go to another store.
Onward and Upward!
schuette

Post by schuette »

okai...got it now...and so know what you mean...Jade's ID is years ago...shit there is no way she looks like that now...jings id probably get pulled up at customs as my passport pic looks nothing like me now...
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

schuette wrote:okai im ready to get shot down in flames...but...if the law requires an address then one has to be produced...yes i now Bear has surpassed his loyalty to the country..and he knows how to handle a gun...but..sorry if an address is required then so be it...just cuz he served in the army shouldnt automatically assume he can buy a gun...has he not ID that has got his address...like the law requires...?

Schu, in our country, there is NO law requiring a member of the military to change their driver license regardless of where they are stationed. Their duty station is regarded as a temporary residence, and their State of origin as their permanent residence. If Bear were to pursue this legally (he is way too sensible to do this crap), he has grounds to sue the gun shop for discrimination.

There is NO law that requires his driver license to show his military duty station.

The person at the gun store was just covering his butt without taking into consideration that he was dealing weapons near an army base!

Sayin.
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

zepboy wrote:
schuette wrote:okai im ready to get shot down in flames...but...if the law requires an address then one has to be produced...yes i now Bear has surpassed his loyalty to the country..and he knows how to handle a gun...but..sorry if an address is required then so be it...just cuz he served in the army shouldnt automatically assume he can buy a gun...has he not ID that has got his address...like the law requires...?

Schu, in our country, there is NO law requiring a member of the military to change their driver license regardless of where they are stationed. Their duty station is regarded as a temporary residence, and their State of origin as their permanent residence. If Bear were to pursue this legally (he is way too sensible to do this crap), he has grounds to sue the gun shop for discrimination.

There is NO law that requires his driver license to show his military duty station.

The person at the gun store was just covering his butt without taking into consideration that he was dealing weapons near an army base!

Sayin.
I kind of see both sides and maybe its the law that needs to be rewritten.. There should be some sort of waiver for military because it makes sense that there is no address on your ID because you really dont have a permant address so to speak.. While the owner was probably following the law, he could have given him a little more lattitude because he did have a drivers ID on him and he would be pretty safe to assume since the kid has a buzz cut and military ID that maybe his drivers license was issued prior to him going in to the service. I guess what I am saying is the gun store owner followed the rules so he probably cant get into trouble but he could have cut Bear some slack and sold him the gun anyway.. and not been in trouble because he had a license with an address on it.
Happy 2015!
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

^^^^^^^^^^^
No, the gun store owner did not follow the rules. The rules (laws) clearly state that no member of the military is required to change their driver license address to reflect their duty station.

This appears to me to be a gun dealer just trying to cover his butt without knowing the law. As a business man, however, I wonder what the potential lost business may be as a result of his bias. If he pulled this with Bear, I would wager he did this with others as well.
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

Oh.. I thought he just did not like the picture of Bear because he did not think it was him.. which in itself is BS because how much different could he have really looked..

He should of sold him the gun regardless..
Happy 2015!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

If I may be so bold....

Tell Bear to look for a GUN SHOW. Walk in...show ID...backround check...buy...DONE.

If you don't have gun shows in your state, you never will, and for a
REASON.

You need to move to a state that DOES.
Don't start none...won't be none.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

We have gun shows in Washington. They hold them at the Masonic Lodge here in Port Angeles.
Onward and Upward!
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

I usually go to the gun shows either here or in Sequim, the next town over. My experience is that the gun shows are great for finding out what you want, but they are WAY overpriced! Find what ya like, then go beat up one of our gun shops for a decent price.