WMD Lies

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

Thanks, sorry for the emotion too. It just was starting to get to me about our kids dying over there and the way they did that Berg kid took me over the top. This is a good place to vent your flustrations and say how you feel.
Happy 2015!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

One of the things I appreciate about opposing points of view... they make me do my homework. :)
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

EndlesslyRocking wrote: Show me the sarin. Show me anything.
Tests on an artillery shell that blew up in Iraq on Saturday confirm that it did contain an estimated three or four liters of the deadly nerve agent sarin.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,120268,00.html

The paragraph that really stands out to me is:

New weapons caches are being found every day, experts said, including "hundreds of thousands" of rocket-propelled grenades and portable anti-aircraft weapons.

Once again, the truth prevails.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Say it loud, say it proud. Keep it coming Elfdude.
This space for rent
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

KaelMwithascrubbrush wrote: A number of FBI and CIA emplyees have talked about being pressed to find Hussein/Al Quida links...which won't be found, since Hussein was a secular leader who angered orthodox Muslim's a bit less than American presidents and Israeli prime ministers. So, that line of reasoning is pretty flimsy, as most any political science undergrad could tell ya.
It's a good thing I don't pay attention to political science undergrads.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/artic ... E_ID=38685

Recently translated documents captured by U.S. forces provide new evidence of a direct link between Saddam Hussein's regime and the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the United States.

Rosters of officers in Saddam's Fedayeen list Lt. Col. Ahmed Hikmat Shakir, who was present at the January 2000 al-Qaida "summit" in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, at which the 9-11 attacks were planned, the Wall Street Journal reports.

The Fedayeen was the elite paramilitary group run by Saddam's son Uday, which was deployed to do much of the regime's dirty work.

The U.S. has never been sure Shakir was at the Kuala Lumpur meeting on behalf of Saddam's regime or whether he was an Iraqi Islamist on his own, the Journal notes.

Reported accounts of the al-Qaida planning summit said Shakir had a job at the Kuala Lumpur airport he obtained through an Iraqi intelligence agent at the Iraqi embassy.

Among the al-Qaida operatives in attendance were the two who flew American Airlines Flight 77 into the Pentagon ? Khalid al Midhar and Nawaz al Hamzi ? and Ramzi bin al Shibh, the operational planner of the 9-11 attacks.

Also in attendance was Tawfiz al Atash, a high-ranking Osama bin Laden lieutenant and mastermind of the USS Cole bombing.

Shakir left Malaysia four days after the summit finished, Jan. 13, 2000, then turned up in Qatar, where he was arrested Sept. 17, 2001, four days after the attacks.

A search uncovered phone numbers of the 1993 World Trade Center bombers' safe houses and contacts and information related to a 1995 al-Qaida plot to blow up a dozen commercial airliners over the Pacific.

But Shakir, inexplicably, was released after a brief detention and flew to Amman, Jordan, where he was arrested again. The Jordanians released him, however, with the OK of the CIA, after pressure from the Iraqis and Amensty International.

He was last seen returning to Baghdad.

Noting the volume of evidence, the Journal said, "One of the mysteries of postwar Iraq is why the Bush Administration and our $40-billion-a-year intelligence services haven't devoted more resources to probing the links between Saddam's regime and al-Qaida."
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... n_putin_dc

SEA ISLAND, Ga (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin stepped into the U.S. political campaign on Thursday, saying the Democrats had "no moral right" to criticize President Bush over Iraq.

The Kremlin leader, answering a reporter's question in Sea Island, Georgia, suggested that the Democrats were two-faced in criticizing Bush on Iraq since it had been the Clinton administration that authorized the 1999 bombing of Yugoslavia by U.S. and NATO forces.

The reporter had asked Putin to respond to U.S. press articles questioning Russia's place at the G8 feast of leading industrial countries.

Putin brushed these off, saying such articles were part of an internal U.S. political debate.

He went on: "I am deeply convinced that President Bush's political adversaries have no moral right to attack him over Iraq because they did exactly the same.

"It suffices to recall Yugoslavia. Now look at them. They don't like what President Bush is doing in Iraq."
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

I thought it was over!! :shock:

Hehe, just kidding ;) Carry on!
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Okay, how about this: so many people have screamed that we went to war just for cheap gas, and we all know how the gas prices here and in other places have gone up and not down since the war. BUT, do you all know how much gas is in Iraq? 5 cents a gallon. Now, Iraq does not have enough refineries to produce its own gas from its oil, so where do they ged this cheap gas? The American people buy it for them. We purchase gas for $1.50 a gallon from Iraq's neighbors and then we sell it to the Iraqis for 5 cents a gallon. Doesn't sound like we went to war for cheap gas for us, but for cheap gas for them!
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

There's one other reason for the differences in gas prices around the world... taxes.

In Europe the taxes on gas (petrol) are astronomical, in the US they aren't quite as bad, but they still stink, and at the other end of the scale, in Iraq where there currently is no functioning government, there are NO taxes on the stuff.

I suppose that the real consipracy nut might claim that the Bush administration wanted gas prices really high to line the pockets of their "oil buddies", but that would be too far-fetched for any of the intelligent thinkers on this board.
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Elf, I'm gonna sound ignorant here but from what I heard gas prices in Europe are so high because everything is so close together. One can buzz from Spain to Germany in a day.

When I was in Ireland I couldn't BELIEVE the petrol prices when we gassed up. No gas-guzzling SUVs there. Economy mini cars. My boyfriend assured me it was normal as they just didn't have that far to GO! (He was kidding, of course...as he is from there) but I heard this reference before. Is this a "scale" thing or am I way off? Thanks.

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

That may be why their governments get away with it... because few people over there do the kinds of commutes to work that so many American workers do.

I've also heard that the OPEC netaions demand payment for their oil in dollars, so if the dollar is having a strong year Europeans pay more.

But those are minor things. It really does boil down to excessive taxation.

When Ross Perot was running I remember him suggesting that Americans were under-taxed when it came to paying for gas and suggested raising gas prices to match what they were in Europe and trying to pay off some national debt with the gains. That was when he lost my interest.
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Interesting. I didn't know that about him. I found him fascinating for about two years. That kinda clashes with the rest of his "speak" no?

I HATE over taxation and as I grow older and try to save a tiny bit of moulah in my low-paying not-for-profit job I find I grit my teeth more and more over it. Taxing gas AGAIN? Well, I don't know WHAT that would solve or what hell-hole that money may end up in. Sigh.

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
Me

Post by Me »

For a bit of the lighter side of politics

http://www.andyfoulds.co.uk/amusement/bushv2.htm

Actually, ANY politician will do (Republicrat OR Democan).... which is why I'll probably again vote third party. I get sick of the value compromising and special interest groups buying and owning politicians in both major parties!!! Corruption and the pervasive quest for money money money unfortunately exists in BOTH political parties!! In this regard, NO politician is without sin!
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

All politicians have problems, yes.
Onward and Upward!
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

For an even lighter side of the politics...

www.jibjab.com
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT