3rd October, Glasgow SECC

Here's your seat for the new tour. There may be, wait, there WILL be spoilers so if you don't want to know, don't go! So pull up a lawn chair and discuss...

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Interesting!

I wish they would play "In The End" again....

it's one of my personal faves, and I love to play it myself.
Don't start none...won't be none.
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

I'd like to hear In The End too, but having never heard FBN in person, either would do.

As for what they would take out, who knows.
The report I read was that FBN with vocals was done in last
night's sound check. If it gets in, when it gets in, where it gets in
is anybody's guess.
Mr. Potatoe Head

Post by Mr. Potatoe Head »

Seeing we haven't heard from Shu just yet here is some reviews I swiped off of Rushisaband web site

Wed, Oct 3 @ SECC - Hall 4 in Glasgow, Scotland
Reviews and post-show analysis
The show is over - what did you think? Give your review or just recount your experience.

Yippie, first in!

Hope that all of you had an awesome time and a kick ass show!

It'll take a few days for you guys to plant your feet back down on earth!

#1 - Posted 10/03/2007 4:55 PM by Spindrifter [contact]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm never very good at writing reviews but I'll say a few things about the show. Considering they hadn't played in almost two weeks they were pretty tight. The crowd seemed up for it and the band, especially Geddy seemed to having a good time. The SECC looked just about sold out with just the odd empty seat here and there. It was DEW that was played rather than SB, we'll see if we get SB in Newcastle on Friday. I've been a Rush fan since AFTK and this is definently the best I've seen them play live. Geddy's voice, as others have mentioned, is incredibly strong at the moment and he really hit those high notes on Freewill. I'm just happy that I've got another six shows to see over the next week and a half.

#2 - Posted 10/03/2007 7:49 PM by nephronic [contact]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C'mon Scots, we need some reviews dudes !!! Now wipe that chicken off yer faces and give us the info, er I'll kick ya in the jacksees, aye !! Was curious how the intro went over there with one Harry Satchel. (Sorry, had to re-post these incorrectly posted post). Say that 3x fast !!

#3 - Posted 10/03/2007 8:05 PM by Weezy [contact]
Weezy, the intro was fantastic with Harry Satchel going down a storm. I can also echo that this was the best I have ever seen Rush play or sound (fan since 1980 and have saw them live now 8 times). Right from Limelight the sound was simply immaculate and the playing sensational. I took my nine year old son and even he was amazed how closely they sounded to their studio recordings. The Glasgow crowd loved it too and I would agree with nephronic that Geddy seemed to be having the best time. For me, the playing on Mission and Subdivisions would even convince a non-fan that Rush are possibly the World's best sounding live band.

I noticed some interesting interplay between Geddy and Neil during TMMB. It sounded as if a triggered sampler would not shut off so Neil made a cross sign to Geddy out of his drumsticks as if to say "keep away." Then again it may have been for something else but it was amusing nevertheless and good to see Neil enjoying himself.

#4 - Posted 10/03/2007 8:45 PM by Jasroon [contact]
Hi guys, it was an utterly superb night. I spotted Neil giving Geddy the "stay away" warning with his crossed sticks (and a smile on his face) and wondered what it was about so thanks for that Jasroon. My only down side on the night were the goons two rows in front who were pissing people off by spraying beer around the place. I've posted some pics from last night - not great quality but they tell something of the story. Roll on Manchester!

#5 - Posted 10/04/2007 4:30 AM by Sparky [contact]
Hey guys, this is my first time posting so hope this is ok.
I went to see Rush last night at the SECC in Glasgow and it was amazing. The band were so tight and the drum solo
WOW! all i can say is all my expectations were met. So hurry back please.

#6 - Posted 10/04/2007 4:44 AM by digitalman32 [contact]
Not up to my expectations but still a great show. The boys weren't as tight as they were on the R30 tour.
Alex's Limelight intro was too early for Neil, who wasn't even sat behind his kit!! Nice to see the smiles though as Alex realised.
Did anyone else notice a mistake during Entre Nous? Seemed like they missed a line.
Others may have noticed the sound loss during Circumstances then thru Subdivisions. I was on Geddy's side so don't know if it was obvious to everyone. It was frustrating though.
None of this spoiled the show for me personally. As usual Rush gave their all and went down a storm.
I feel lucky to have had the chance, once again to see this band live. Guys like these are an endangered species.
Looking forward to the next tour!!

#7 - Posted 10/04/2007 6:58 AM by Splidoonk [contact]
Splidoonk!
The Limelight bit is planned!!?!?!! Several folks in the states got the same impression you did, that it was an error, but in fact it was just (perhaps ill-advised) showmanship! They do it at every show on the tour.

#8 - Posted 10/04/2007 7:04 AM by SF in Prague [contact]
The start of Limelight runs in line with the Intro movie where Geddy gets told to get on stage etc etc and then he's late for the start of the show.......

Geddys reaction is different each show, sometimes he runs on, sometimes he hides, so on and so on.

Show was fantastic, not as good as the ones I saw in the US in August but that'll be put right once they get a couple more under their belts.

C'mon Newcastle....

#9 - Posted 10/04/2007 7:32 AM by lavilla [contact]
Last night was the 3rd time i've seen them live ( way back in 1981 in Edinburgh and also the 30th anniversary tour in 2004 in the same hall as last night ). Once again there aren't enough superlatives to describe how good RUSH are live. Onstage at 7.45pm and played till 11pm ( with a break midway ). Just a fantastice night, great show, brilliant sound. The new songs went down well and some old classics as well. Played a couple of my favs in ' Circumstances ' and ' A Passage...'. The crowd seemd louder and more up for it than 2004. I've seen a few bands live over the years, but RUSH are still one of the best lives acts you're likely to see anywhere.

#10 - Posted 10/04/2007 7:41 AM by dee4life [contact]
This gig was superb. Better than R30, that's not just my opinion but also some fans I spoke to afterwards. Geddys voice had no trouble with Freewill and was strong throughout. The playing was excellent (what a drum solo) and they seemed to be enjoying themselves immensely. The crowd were well up for it too.
I echo Nephronic in that I've seen them a few times, this was my eighth time the first being in 1979, and this was one of the best I've seen them. Second only to the first time.
My take on TMMB was as it ended Geddy was hitting the strings with flat of his hand and advancing toward Neil with his bass held in machine gun mode, Neil leaned forward in mock horror and, holding his sticks in a cross shape, tried to fend Ged off. He then had a chuckle to himself and sat down with a SMILE!
All in all a brilliant night. When other bands of their era are doing cash in cabaret and greatest hits nostalgia tours, they're still vital and give so many band on the circuit a masterclass on never being to old to rock.
By the way, my daughter got some photos on her phone, I'll post them as soon as.

#11 - Posted 10/04/2007 8:39 AM by whywhyzed [contact]
Sorry forgot to mention it was the DEW setlist.

#12 - Posted 10/04/2007 8:42 AM by whywhyzed [contact]

Login to post your comment
You must login to post comments. If you do not have an account you can create one for free at this link.
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

Thanks,
nice read.

Glad to see the fun has resumed.
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

ElfDude wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:
Middle Kingdom wrote:Schu did you hear the sound check?

The played FLY BY NIGHT with full vocals!!!!!!!!!

Did not get into the set, but maybe on the 2008 leg......
I wonder if that was one of the songs Ged said (on ther RIR DVD interview) they would never ever play again? :shock: :?

Sound check and set are two different things...could it be?

Does anyone know what the song(s) in question are? :?
I don't know, but I have an assumption. For a couple of tours there was that poll where we could vote for a song we wanted to hear. The Camera Eye kept doing very well in those polls. But Rush doesn't seem to want to touch it. I think with the other winners, they at least worked a little piece of them into a medley or something.
Yes, Elfie, it's Camera Eye for sure. :( Andrew MacNaughtan himself said so, much to his own dismay.

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Sad. That's one of my top three favorite songs from that album.
I guess a lot of us like it more than the band does. :)
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

From what I understand it is a real drag for them to play night after night and it brings down an entire tour, Elf. Obviously they've got to be fired up about what they're going to play. :-D

Thanks for posting the reviews, Spudly!!! Loved them and I re-lived (again) as well. WHAT A TOUR!!!!!!! :-D :-D

Now Where's SCHUUUUU?????? :shock: :shock: :shock:

ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Kares4Rush wrote: Obviously they've got to be fired up about what they're going to play. :-D
Obviously
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

ElfDude wrote:
Kares4Rush wrote: Obviously they've got to be fired up about what they're going to play. :-D
Obviously
:oops:

ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Kares4Rush wrote:
ElfDude wrote:
Obviously
:oops:
No need for the "oops" emoticon. :) You're fine.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

What the hell???!?!?!?!?

Yer all's show was 2 day's ago and nothing!!!!

Come on give us the scoop NOW!!! :-D :razz:
This space for rent
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

*pouts*
Onward and Upward!
schuette

Post by schuette »

sorry guys but frankly I thought the show was shit

did any of you believe me?? :-D
it was absofuckinlutely brilliant and I'm so glad I never read any of the set lists cuz it would have spoiled it for me...loved the fact Alex played Hope (fav song off the album) and A Passage!!!...sheer class :-D
got pics but they're not the greatest

sorry by the way but my comp wasnt working and then I've been busy getting stuff ready for going to Wales :-D
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

WAHOOO SCHUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D :-D :-D

Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Sweet!!!

Hey, good to see you made it back. :-D

What cha gonna do in Wales?
This space for rent