Severe disappointment (spoiler!)

Here's your seat for the new tour. There may be, wait, there WILL be spoilers so if you don't want to know, don't go! So pull up a lawn chair and discuss...

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

actually, I was thinking about taking my 8 year old as well.. I may not now because she likes Rush and I would rather not have her associating Rush with drug use even though I know better, she is 8 and is able to form her own opinions.. plus I could hear the conversation with her Mom,

"guess what I saw at the Rush concert Mommy?"

"BILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"yes dear?"
Happy 2015!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Soup4Rush wrote:actually, I was thinking about taking my 8 year old as well.. I may not now because she likes Rush and I would rather not have her associating Rush with drug use even though I know better, she is 8 and is able to form her own opinions.. plus I could hear the conversation with her Mom,

"guess what I saw at the Rush concert Mommy?"

"BILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"yes dear?"
been down that road before...

*pleads with wife*

but...but...but.....cheddarmuffin! :shock: :-D
Don't start none...won't be none.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Scoot is 8 and she is going. By that time I doubt she will still be awake. But if so WE will fill her in on whatever she asks us about.
This space for rent
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I just shared Pan's original post with my 16 year-old. Her response:

"Hey, if I'm not smoking pot (or doing various other drugs) after listening to System of a Down (and many other bands), I'm certainly not going to because of Rush ;P"

I like my kids. :)
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

ElfDude wrote:I just shared Pan's original post with my 16 year-old. Her response:

"Hey, if I'm not smoking pot (or doing various other drugs) after listening to System of a Down (and many other bands), I'm certainly not going to because of Rush ;P"

I like my kids. :)
Ya got a awesome young lady there Elf. :headbang:
Good for her. :cool:
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

My concern isn't for strong young women like Elf's 16 year old but for the ones who are thinking about starting but not sure if they should as well as for the people who are using but thinking about whether they should quit or not.

Of course, my concern isn't just about those on the bubble with weed, but any and all behaviors that can cause harm, and especially with myself, how I am acting, what I am saying or doing that might encourage them in the wrong direction.
Onward and Upward!
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

I never told my parents anything that I was thinking about trying, they would have disapproved. :twisted:

*cringing in anticipation of Pan and awip slapping me*
We're all mad here!
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

*Slaps Xanny for t and Pan.*

Then...............*Horks Xanny's stash* :razz:
This space for rent
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

*hides hash oil from him* :razz:
We're all mad here!
Walkinghairball

Xanadu wrote:*hides hash oil from him* :razz:

Oh bull***T you best be sharing that!!!!

*Un-horks Xanny's stash*
This space for rent
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Xanadu wrote:I never told my parents anything that I was thinking about trying, they would have disapproved. :twisted:

*cringing in anticipation of Pan and awip slapping me*
LOL! I can't hit you! I didn't tell my parents what I was thinking about trying or had tried either because they would have more than disapproved.

Looking back...I made some bad choices, but onward and upward!
Onward and Upward!
LisaBug2112

Post by LisaBug2112 »

All 3 of mine think all that stuff is nasty anyway, 1 of them is 18 so i am confident. I took them to see Transformers, i was ready for questions about a certain part in that movie. I went & seen it first, so i knew what was comming, i did hold my daughters ears during that part however lol. So i only have my 11 yr old to deal with on that one. One thing i have learned, hiding things from kids is a bad thing, i am not saying let them see/hear/do anything they want. Just if you deny them something they love just because of 1 song, thats when they begin to question things more. My kids have never once asked me about that song, their favorites are Driven, & a couple others i cant think of atm. Bangkok has never even entered their minds yet, if & when it does i will be ready.
"Like a flower in the desert that only blooms at night i will quietly resist I dont have faith in faith i dont believe in beliefs you can call me faithless i still kling to hope & i believe in love and thats faith enough for me."
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

I had to go to Catholic school, and we were the first ones to
break rules because they were so friggin' strict.

Cause and effect. :wink:

"Treat someone like a dog, and they'll pee on the carpet."
Rocinante

Post by Rocinante »

CygnusX1 wrote:I had to go to Catholic school, and we were the first ones to
break rules because they were so friggin' strict.

Cause and effect. :wink:

"Treat someone like a dog, and they'll pee on the carpet."
:-D :-D :-D :-D
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

ElfDude wrote:Thanks for making this post, Pan. I'm taking a 16 year-old in August. I'm grateful for the heads up. Now we can have a little talk BEFORE she sees the video.
You're welcome, Elfie! I was initially afraid that I might be overreacting, but from the responses on the board I'm confident that it's a topic of concern for many of us with children.
Soup4Rush wrote:actually, I was thinking about taking my 8 year old as well.. I may not now because she likes Rush and I would rather not have her associating Rush with drug use even though I know better, she is 8 and is able to form her own opinions.
While at first I was really upset, and said to PV that if I'd known about the video I wouldn't have gone to the concert, I agree that not attending just because of one song would be terrible. It's just one song, and can be used as a springboard for a good discussion. That, or it's a perfect time for a bathroom break before the long lines begin! ;-)
LisaBug2112 wrote:One thing i have learned, hiding things from kids is a bad thing, i am not saying let them see/hear/do anything they want. Just if you deny them something they love just because of 1 song, thats when they begin to question things more.
I couldn't deny my kids this opportunity to see Rush--I think they'd be crushed. :-( I can't shelter them from the world, but at least now we've talked about it again and I feel that I can trust them to make the right choice if it ever comes up. :-D
Enchantment falls around me and I know I cannot leave...