Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Have you read:

Masked Rider
6%
Ghost Rider
22%
Travelling Music
17%
Two of the three (tell us which two, please)
28%
All three (tell us which three, please *wink*)
22%
None of the above, cuz you don't believe drummers can write books
6%

Total votes: 18

ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Soup... I shared some of your feelings while reading too.

A friend of mine recently read it, and his comment to me was something like, "Did you get the impression that he would have gotten better a lot quicker if he'd just gotten back to work instead of dropping out of life for so long?"

Umm... yes, I did. :)

But I still love the book.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

yeah.. he is a very intelligent man and very well spoken..
Happy 2015!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

And just as messed up, if not more, than we here at BT! LOL
Onward and Upward!
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

you know, I thought of the Rush chicks while reading about the part where the girl walking her dog smiled at him and how he never thought he was an attractive guy.. boy, if he read some of the posts around here, can you imagine what he would say?? made me laugh thinking about it..
Happy 2015!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

*blushes thinking of some of her old posts*

Man, we can get a bit crazy, can't we? LOL
Onward and Upward!
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

NO SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have this one yet.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Please.
:-)
This space for rent
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

sorry, I thought I was the only one around here who had not read Ghost Rider yet.. Nice to know I am not the only slacker.. :razz:
Happy 2015!
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Soup4Rush wrote:
don't you think it was kind of selfish of him in regards to his family and friends to go off on such a dangerous excursion? without anybody else? in his state of mind.. I wondered how many of his friends or family wondered if they would ever see him alive again. From what I have read he seems kind of selfish and does not like to be bothered by people.. Maybe I am missing something... some of what he wrote was kind of mean too, like he was blaming the kid for him putting diesel fuel in his gas tank, or the wallowing middle age hippos around the buffet table..
I have to admit, Neil has become one of my favorite writers because of his vivid scene painting and honesty.

The little jerk did fill his tank with diesel, the hippos around the buffet are dangerously, disgustingly self-indulgent. I can see why he would wonder why other people should be allowed to live on when his love's lives are snuffed. I believe that if he didn't go on this search, he would be dead.

I'm very glad he wrote these stories down for us. :-)
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Big Blue Owl wrote:
Soup4Rush wrote:
don't you think it was kind of selfish of him in regards to his family and friends to go off on such a dangerous excursion? without anybody else? in his state of mind.. I wondered how many of his friends or family wondered if they would ever see him alive again. From what I have read he seems kind of selfish and does not like to be bothered by people.. Maybe I am missing something... some of what he wrote was kind of mean too, like he was blaming the kid for him putting diesel fuel in his gas tank, or the wallowing middle age hippos around the buffet table..
I have to admit, Neil has become one of my favorite writers because of his vivid scene painting and honesty.

The little jerk did fill his tank with diesel, the hippos around the buffet are dangerously, disgustingly self-indulgent. I can see why he would wonder why other people should be allowed to live on when his love's lives are snuffed. I believe that if he didn't go on this search, he would be dead.

I'm very glad he wrote these stories down for us. :-)
Ditto that as well. I used to read Ghost Rider at least once a year for a few years after I lost my wife.

Leon, stop reading now. SPOILER ALERT!

I did notice that almost every time he griped about someone around him, it was usually followed by some sort of self-disparaging (sp?) remark. He was upset with almost everyone, himself included.

And as to the diesel incident, didn't he make sure to point out that he wasn't mad at the kid himself, just the fact that it had happened?
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

I just reread the diesel in the gastank part.. BBO was right.. it was the kid's fault as he handed the wrong nozzle to Neil.. and he did actually feel sorry for the kid.. my bad.. :oops: sorry, I need to read slower. :-)
Happy 2015!
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

*Peering thru one eye* I'm not reading nuthin'.

Not that eye Soup.
This space for rent
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Soup4Rush wrote:I just reread the diesel in the gastank part.. BBO was right.. it was the kid's fault as he handed the wrong nozzle to Neil.. and he did actually feel sorry for the kid.. my bad.. :oops: sorry, I need to read slower. :-)
Nothing to be sorry about, Soup! :-)

I finished Roadshow yesterday and I was sad to see it end. So that's all of them for me. I think I'll do a hard science fiction (like having some sherbet between courses to clean the palate) then start over with Masked Rider. I didn't give that one enough attention when I read it first time.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Still need to read Masked Rider and Traveling Music.

I recently read My Grandfather's Son by Clarence Thomas. I thought it was so good that I'm reading it out loud to my daughters. He's a remarkable man.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

ElfDude wrote:
I recently read My Grandfather's Son by Clarence Thomas. I thought it was so good that I'm reading it out loud to my daughters. He's a remarkable man.
But...but...
I won't say it.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Big Blue Owl wrote:
ElfDude wrote:
But...but...
I won't say it.
A remarkable man who had some serious lies told about him. In the book he doesn't go into detail about what they were. I think it's fairly kid-safe.