Alex at number 16

All Rush, all the time

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

by-tor

Alex at number 16

Post by by-tor »

...on some list of the 50 worst guitar solo's....
16. "Marathon" by Rush
Soloist: Alex Lifeson
Album: Power Windows
Year: 1985

Yuck! Did living beings make this album? Dig the John Tesh- lite synthesizer overlay and Geddy Lee- as- Oprah self- help lyrics. Alex Lifeson's playing on "Marathon" is rotten with lazy Gilmour-ish sustains, whammy-bar fizzles and other ho-hum prog- metal techniques that give the illusion of impeccable musicianship.
See the whole list, and scratch your head like I did....

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/top/solos/
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
PV
Site Admin

Post by PV »

:shock: :shock: :shock: This guy is nuts...
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

never heard marathon to be honest, but lifesons solos rule

17. "More Than a Feeling" by Boston
Soloist: Tom Scholz
Album: Boston
Year: 1976

Are they men or machines? Musicians or mathematicians? Girlish MIT grads do not good rockers make. These second rate lab- coats squeezed the lifeblood out of rock while making millions in the process. They loved that dated guitar harmonizing thing, which is about as interesting, if you think about it, as watching synchronized swimming. Somehow this solo always makes me think of of getting a cavity filled. It causes that bitter metallic taste to resurface in my mouth. Then my mind fills with the high- pitched buzz of a dentist's drill. That's the beauty of Boston, baby
This guy does suck, this is a good solo, sure its not complex, or fast, but its a mellow solo, those are just as good, the solo has to match the song not just blast off hardocre rock in the middle of some slow trash.

socrpions also appearing on this list.. this guy need to buy some brains, probly likes "solos" by that sorry excuse for a player from red hot chili peppers.
PV
Site Admin

Post by PV »

I agree, Sir... When I saw "More Than A Feeling" on the list I was shocked! Boston solos are just incredible (to this non-musician ear) and so melodic. As Neil said in AWIP, "serve the song." I think that is true for guitar as well. Tom Sholz sure knows how to serve the song!
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
FerrariF1

Post by FerrariF1 »

Last edited by FerrariF1 on Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

H and I read these and we agree with F1.
Onward and Upward!
AnalogK

Post by AnalogK »

This is Someone who just wants some Cheap Publicity for his Shitty webPage.
Rush on! AnalogK....aka "The Count"

Ogg

Post by Ogg »

never heard marathon to be honest, but lifesons solos rule
Sir M, have you no shame!!!
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

i recently bought power windows and that song rules, solo is cool too
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

It's not one of his best solos, but calling it one of the worst solos ever is just bullshit.

2. "Free Bird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd

wtf? That solo is outstanding. It may not be the most technical solo ever, but cmon.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Some people think technical is important, but how many good blues songs are very non techinical? Other styles as well? I mean, isn't Pink Floyd a bunch of simple things stacked on top of each other often? And it still moves people.
Onward and Upward!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

awip2062 wrote:Some people think technical is important, but how many good blues songs are very non techinical? Other styles as well? I mean, isn't Pink Floyd a bunch of simple things stacked on top of each other often? And it still moves people.
Very true, and he actually put Comfortably Numb's solo on the list. I myself know it isnt all that technical of a solo, but i find it to be extremly moving, and it fits perfectly with the song. I think those things matter more than how hard a solo is to play.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I think most musicians know that it isn't the technicality of a piece, or even getting the notes "right" but more timing and feeling and emotion. But some people are so stuck on technique that they let insignificant things get in the way.
Onward and Upward!
Amarok

Post by Amarok »

I can remember that a magazine (I think it was "Metal Hammer") wrote: Rush is just the come together of the three best musicians in their own genre.
It wasn't these words but the mentioning.
Alex is GREAT AS GREAT CAN BE!!!
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

43. "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd
Soloist: David Gilmour
Album: The Wall
Year: 1979

I once thought this was a pretty impressive guitar solo. Then I read somewhere that Gilmour painstakingly sliced up a few different versions of the solo, and meticulously pieced them together in the studio. Okay, maybe you need a few takes to get it right, but this is preposterous. After all, what are we dealing with here? Rock 'n' roll or gene- splicing?

Is this guy stupid? This is probably my all time favorite guitar solo.
Happy 2015!