GLOBAL WARMING PROPOSAL

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Me

GLOBAL WARMING PROPOSAL

Post by Me »

I believe every little bit helps...My proposal is: To shut down all commerce for 4 days each year. Winter and Summer solstice as well as the Fall and Spring equinox. No driving, no industry a day of global health.

Please forward this to everyone you know, plaster it on every blog you come across. start with this Spring equinox, I am!

Every Little Bit Helps!

Kevin B. Kelly
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

Gotta be honest, I'm not alarmed by the global warming scare. Gonna keep on livin my life.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

My question is: Have they determined if it's natural, or our fault?
Don't start none...won't be none.
Me

Post by Me »

When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
Me

Post by Me »

You have to incorperate a little bit of "common sense" here.
Of course "emergency services" would still be available.
I think it is absolutly ridiculously that people are more concern about loosing a dollar, than the health of our planet. Maybe we can put an umbrella out to show our support.
Nevertheless every little bit helps....
schuette

Post by schuette »

I help every day as I dont drive :-D
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

I think we should kill the cows. The rate at which they put carbon monoxide into the environment with their farts . . .

Also, clearcut the Amazon rain forest. It is a well known fact that, with the aged trees, they are now contributing over 12 times for methane gas into the environment through decomposition than oxygen!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

The official report won't be out today. It won't be finished until May or so. What the UN is releasing today they're calling the "Summary for Policy Makers.? The detailed report on the science won?t be issued until May or so because it?s not finished.
If you?re wondering how the UN can issue a summary of a report that?s not even finished, fear not. The UN has announced that changes to the full report shall be made ?to ensure consistency with the Summary for Policy Makers." The UN process ? akin to shooting first and asking questions later ?is the exact opposite of the traditional scientific method.
Anyway, I saw an interesting column today...
The apocalyptic vision of global warming serves a deep need of the environmentalist credo, the dominant pseudo-religious tendency of our age in the prosperous West.

For good or ill, human beings are constructed to believe, and faith has its demands.. Along with the concrete elements that demand belief (that fire burns and that it's not wise to walk off cliffs, for example) there exists an apparent necessity for a belief in "the rock higher than I" - a belief in a superior entity that can inspire awe and gratitude, that can be turned to in hard times, that can act as witness to injustice and dispenser of mercy.

Despite the claims of our current crop of militant atheists such as Dawkins and Harris, this is not simply brain-dead foolishness. Religious belief is hard-wired into human beings, by what means and for what purposes we don't yet understand. (A much wiser atheist, the biologist Edward O. Wilson wrote in On Human Nature that he intended to demonstrate that religious belief played an evolutionary role and could thus be explained by Darwinism. That was thirty years ago - if he ever succeeded, I haven't heard about it.)

When religious belief is subverted, it does not, as Chesterton implied, simply vanish. It is almost immediately replaced by another set of beliefs on a similar level of abstraction and serving the same purpose. Sometimes it's an import, such as Buddhism or TM. Sometimes it's a creed deliberately created to serve a political agenda, as we see in Nazism and Communism. Sometimes it's the goofy SoCal syncretism currently expressed in Wicca and Neopaganism. ("If people seriously want to be pagans," the late Joe Myers, a Christian brother of my acquaintance once said. "They'd become Roman Catholics.") And sometimes they're a combination, a weird melange of ideas picked up from various sources that (and usually not coincidentally) also serve a political purpose. Which brings us to environmentalism.

That environmentalism is in fact a pseudo-religion goes without saying. Like all such, it possesses every element of contemporary legitimate belief. It has a deity, in this case the goddess Gaia, the personification of the living Earth, (first envisioned by James Lovelock, whom we can slot in as high priest). It has its holy books, most changing with the seasons, and most, as is true of the Bible with many convinced Christians, utterly unread. It has its saints, its prophets, its commandments, religious rituals (be sure to recycle that bottle), a large gallery of sins, mortal and otherwise, and an even larger horde of devils. (Let me pause here to sharpen a horn.)

Another item that a pseudo-religion must have is an apocalypse - and that's what global warming is all about.
For the rest of the piece, it's here.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Me

Post by Me »

Leave your religious heros out of this.

Just from own observations by having the opputinity to move around the country after growing up in the northeast I have gained an unique perspective. I knew more than 20 years ago that something wasn't the way it was. For example I used to be able to skate from mid December till mid March in Massachusetts. Out of the last 10 years the ice only froze
enough 2 times to get out on it. I notice things unlike most I surmise mostly from experience traveling getting out in nature etc. My granfather was a fisherman and bait shop owner for 70 years so I have first hand experience of fishing and catching bait. Another big problem the fish stocks not only related to over fishing but alot of the fry use the salt marshes to survive. Tommy Cod or sometimes called Chubs depending on where you live and locals probably have other names that I am not aware of being one we use to catch for fresh water bait. At any rate Cod stcks are way down and it is a key species (if you don't know what a key species is look it up) The earth don't give a shit about us we will and have messed it up. We may be reduced to a few thousand but the earth will keep spinning. The rich will have to defend from all the hillbillys stealing their food. I laugh at most of the idots in Washington and our fearless leader wanting billions more for war when he should be implimenting hydrogen fuels starting with public transportation trains and buses then go from there he should man date solor and wind power but someone will say what about the owls LOL (again look it up wind power and owls)
Maybe in the long run it won't be so bad nuking 3/4 of the population off the planet then where would your evil vicious God be then? In actuality the earth can't sustain the population now only because we don't and have not nutured her correctly hmmmm 60 million people in Iran 240
million and America do a little math who needs to be thinned out. :twisted:
nevertheless hold onto your ass build a storm shelter because there will eventually be a disaster near you.
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

I don't think the earth is a her. I haven't seen the vagina, and trust me, I know how to find them. I don't think it's a guy either. It's a rock with living beings on it. It is a rock suspended in the heavens amidst rocks of other qualities, each just hanging there as they were designed to do.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
Me

Post by Me »

Big Blue Owl wrote:Image
:-D
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

Gee, if believing the earth is just an inhabited rock is equated to living with one's head buried in the sand, I can only believe, then, that your opinion of me is not a favorable one. Perhaps I don't have an enlightened mind. Perhaps the things I believe are considered as foolishness.

Then again, perhaps the shortcoming is on those who have yet to provide me enough conclusive evidence to satisfy my mind. I need more than a lot of emotional response to spotty scientific evidence.

First, fulfill the third requirement of the scientific process by advancing beyond the hypothetical synopsis. Test and replicate the hypothesis. THEN present the results.

In the mean time, acknowledge that at this point, public opinion hasn't changed a single law of nature, and most probably, never will. Nature hasn't really changed, only our response to it.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Hey Zep. What'cha talkin about? The head in the sand analogy is one for all of us at one time or another. I'm sorry you took it personally. And it's not for me to change anyone's mind about anything. If scientists who devote their entire lives to unlock the mysteries of the universe can't convince, it's useless to think that a lowly songwriter can.

I'll stick to my quick quips and silly pics and try to give as many people a laugh as possible. I hope that doesn't offend anyone.

As to Earth; the experts can't even predict the next day's weather correctly. If she's gonna blow, she's gonna blow. The Earth will be just fine. It'll wipe us off like facial herpes.

P.S. That's me with my ass in the air and my head under ground. I tried figuring it out...doesn't compute.
Last edited by Big Blue Owl on Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Me:

I too remember the much colder winters of days gone by. That's because from the late 40's to the mid 70's we were experiencing global cooling. Global cooling was the topic at the first Earth Day celebration. They were convinced that pollution in the atmosphere was reflecting the sun's radiation away.

Then from the mid 70's to 1998 the globe warmed 0.6?C. We're being told it's becuase our pollutants in the atmosphere are holding the suns radiation in.

From 1998 until now it has remained constant.

What's next? Who knows? The author of that article was pointing out that to believe some big drastic change is on the way, and particularly to know what it will be and what will cause it requires faith.

Now, I need to go somewhere that I can bury my head in the sand. The ground here is still frozen from the coldest winter I can remember in the last 6 years. :-D A tropical resort on the beach does sound nice right about now...
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?