'Snakes and Arrows' Leaked!...(and Reviews)

Something to do with Rush coming up? Post it here.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Ogg

'Snakes and Arrows' Leaked!...(and Reviews)

Post by Ogg »

...and I have it. I'm going to buy it of course.
Last edited by Ogg on Wed May 14, 2008 11:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

I'll be on MSN all weekend. :-D :-D :-D
This space for rent
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Walkinghairball wrote:I'll be on MSN all weekend. :-D :-D :-D
:-D

Good quality copy waiting for you bro :-) Playing it the now, second track 'Armor and Sword'.

Determined not to ruin this by hearing bits and bobs before hand. I knew I'd download a pristine copy if available. For some reason I dont feel morally corrupt as I'm forking out the readies for this. Just like I have done for EVERY official Rush release...ever! :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

!!! 'The Main Monkey Business' six minute (practically a) instrumental !!! featuring a familiar refrain...fuck me that's awesome :-D .
ElderberryRyan

Post by ElderberryRyan »

It AWESOME!

That said, I found it quite hard to get into. The first 2 listens I was kinda "blah" about it, but now I adore it! Definately some "feedback" influence there!
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

I must be doing something right. Good weather, drumming til it hurts, new Porcupine Tree and of course the new Rush.

Fate has been kind enough to cause a breakdown in my works van and they've only gone and given me a hire-van for two weeks...not important?
It is when it has a cd player(!!!) as our usual vans have cassettes only.
I've lived with the album all weekend and I have to freely admit that........................................................the new album is friggin excellent!
Imho it's the best they've done for a long time AND the mastering this time around is perfect.
Far too much to hear and not enough time to listen before I can offer a proper review. Stand out cuts so far are 'the main monkey business' 'the way the wind blows' and 'faithless' the now but of course this will change.
The accent appears to be more focused on the actual 'songs' and things of beauty they are. Interesting to hear more of the vocals replicating melodies that would otherwise have been provided by keyboards and being a drummer I have to say that...Alex is smokin' throughout! He's on fire! Personally I wish they hadn't opened the album with 'Far Cry' though.
Of course Mr Peart never fails to disappoint. Back to listening... :-)
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

I really like the album so far, but I haven't had time to listen to it fully.

Ok now it's loaded into my media player and I'm spinning it while I surf. :-D
This space for rent
Me

Post by Me »

A week from tomorrow, I'll wait.
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
Me

Post by Me »

Here are 30 sec snippets of all the songs from Wally-World
I listened to them all and they sound good. That tease will get me rushing to the store next Tuesday. :-D

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=5745584
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
Me

Post by Me »

Ogg I didn't mean to step on your toes or anything mate. It really doesn't matter to me if you got the "whole" thing, actually I think that's pretty cool.
At any rate my opinion towards down loading has changed when I realized the profits involved, nevertheless I still won't do it.
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Me wrote:Ogg I didn't mean to step on your toes or anything mate. It really doesn't matter to me if you got the "whole" thing, actually I think that's pretty cool.
At any rate my opinion towards down loading has changed when I realized the profits involved, nevertheless I still won't do it.
No probs my friend, to each their own and all that. besides, for some daft reason, only t and zep make me feel guilty about downloading anyway :-) .

I've been lurking at other Rush boards and the leak certainly has caused a fuss, divided opinions of course. Personally I really could not resist, I did for about three seconds though :-) . As I've said I'm buying the thing and always will buy any Rush release.
It's disappointing that I can't share opinions as yet. I sent it to Hairy and that's about it. I'm awaiting feedback (yay!) from him. I've read mixed reviews with several comparing the album to TFE or MFH even...ridiculous.
Even after three days I feel I'm still scratching the surface of this fine recording. I will offer a review when and if possible. Current fav' is 'faithless' although 'the main monkey business' is simply amazing...but I knew that after the very first listen :-) .
One last thing, the production really is exceptional.
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

I have the links but I haven't downloaded them.

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

I've held off....mostly cus I'm inept at those things unless
it was a direct link thingy.
I do have Mal Nar from when that was linked,
before it went down. (Not the youtube thing, the actual song)
Walkinghairball

Personally I like the songs, but I think it would be too much of a spoiler to post a review of it till others get to listen to it. I will say that IMO, S&A is not like any other Rush album to me. Yes it has flavors of old Rush, but not all the same. It is not as hard and crunchy to me as the posted reviews have said, but those critics suck buttermilk ya know.

So with that I also am giddy to buy this CD when the day comes, I hope the guts have better art than the cover. :-D

Just my nickle, so far.
This space for rent
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Walkinghairball wrote:Personally I like the songs, but I think it would be too much of a spoiler to post a review of it till others get to listen to it. I will say that IMO, S&A is not like any other Rush album to me. Yes it has flavors of old Rush, but not all the same. It is not as hard and crunchy to me as the posted reviews have said, but those critics suck buttermilk ya know.

So with that I also am giddy to buy this CD when the day comes, I hope the guts have better art than the cover. :-D

Just my nickle, so far.
Can I speak? CAN-I-SPEAK?

WHO was it that was PRAYING for something NEW from them?

Yep....yours truly.

I'm SO disappointed. I'm not throwin' down 100 hard-earned bones for reruns either.

As we would holler when heckling at the wrestling matches:

"SAME-OLD-SHIT....SAME-OLD-SHIT" :twisted:

Just my humble opinion, but it is-what-it-is.

I'd have rather see them do a RUSH (first album) reissue with Neil.

Wow. This is sad.
Don't start none...won't be none.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Wow. I feel genuinely bad for you, Cyg. Hopefully after a few more listens the beauty will reveal itself and become embedded (as so many of their albums have for me) and vital.

I absolutely love it and it has inspired me to remain alive at LEAST until the next one comes out. They are like, 55 years old now. I don't expect (from Rush) razor-sharp metal flying off of a speeding Bentley anymore. But what they have done oozes personal, introspective and inspirational combinations of lyric and music, and a surprising amount of balls from the 'Elders'.
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))