Oh for the love of football

Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, it's all here

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Soup4Rush
Posts: 17557
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:17 am

Post by Soup4Rush » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:29 am

fact is Sigs, LT and Rivers were on the sideline, Gates was hurt and the refs did everything but change the scoreboard in our favor. The fact we got beat was embarrasing, to say the least. I am almost ashamed to even call myself a Colt's fan.
Happy 2015!

User avatar
Middle Kingdom
Posts: 3361
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:44 am
Location: Bacchus Plateau

Post by Middle Kingdom » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:18 am

I wouldn't go that far.
It was a bad beat, but you did win it all last year.
Can't toss that out.
Lots of teams don't get over the hump.
Image
Image

Soup4Rush
Posts: 17557
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:17 am

Post by Soup4Rush » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:24 am

yeah but to go out the way we did this year was ugly
Happy 2015!

User avatar
Walkinghairball
Posts: 25037
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:33 am

Soup4Rush wrote:yeah but to go out the way we did this year was ugly
Bullshit bro.

Be on top of yer league, then lay down and watch from the cheap seats.

Colts did do well this season period.
This space for rent

CygnusX1
Posts: 17310
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: We don't call 911 here.

Post by CygnusX1 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:51 am

Soup4Rush wrote:fact is Sigs, LT and Rivers were on the sideline, Gates was hurt and the refs did everything but change the scoreboard in our favor. The fact we got beat was embarrasing, to say the least. I am almost ashamed to even call myself a Colt's fan.
Dude, I know - I WATCHED the game. WTF was Marvin's problem?

He was somewhere else other than the RCA Dome after the fumble. . .

The dropsies hurt 'em too. Many big pass plays went to shit.

Reggie Wayne took a NASTY hit. Addai too, but Indy's D served some up to SD too....SD's STILL licking their wounds.

Any given day Brudda....

They'll be back - in the new stadium - and I'll be watching them THERE too.

Might even get a wild hair and make the 11-hour drive to see 'em.

I'm goin' to Daytona to see the 500 on my 50th, so why-the-hell not?
Don't start none...won't be none.

User avatar
by-tor
Posts: 1395
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:21 am
Location: Misplaced Southerner
Contact:

Post by by-tor » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:32 am

Soup4Rush wrote:
by-tor wrote:Oh, you poor little guys. Do I need to mention whom I cheer for, year after miserable year?

LSU? :twisted:
Man, you must be really depressed then, cause even they have more championships than Indy. :evil:
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!

Soup4Rush
Posts: 17557
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:17 am

Post by Soup4Rush » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:48 am

true, although some of LSU's championships could be up for debate. :twisted: :-D
Happy 2015!

CygnusX1
Posts: 17310
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: We don't call 911 here.

Post by CygnusX1 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:49 am

Hey Soups.....any more o' that humble pie left?

I'll take seconds... :roll:
Don't start none...won't be none.

Soup4Rush
Posts: 17557
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:17 am

Post by Soup4Rush » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:56 am

sorry, I ate what was left after cleaning up my TV. :-D
Happy 2015!

CygnusX1
Posts: 17310
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: We don't call 911 here.

Post by CygnusX1 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:06 am

Soup4Rush wrote:sorry, I ate what was left after cleaning up my TV. :-D
I had to have my foot SURGICALLY REMOVED from mine. :x

****hopes Dan Snyder goes after Belichick****

oh Hell yeah...'cuz the last defensive coach that got the 'skins head coaching job (Richie Pettibon)....well....'nuff said there.

can you say 4-12? LOL
Don't start none...won't be none.

User avatar
YYZ30
Posts: 6196
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:05 am

Post by YYZ30 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:59 am

Soup4Rush wrote:sorry, I ate what was left after cleaning up my TV. :-D
Did you pull an Elvis and shoot it?


I would give mad props for that.

CygnusX1
Posts: 17310
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: We don't call 911 here.

Post by CygnusX1 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:12 pm

Walkinghairball wrote:
Soup4Rush wrote:yeah but to go out the way we did this year was ugly
Bullshit bro.

Be on top of yer league, then lay down and watch from the cheap seats.

Colts did do well this season period.
HOLLA HOLLA.
Don't start none...won't be none.

CygnusX1
Posts: 17310
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: We don't call 911 here.

Darrell Green and Art Monk Inducted

Post by CygnusX1 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:31 am

Monk, Green Reflect On Hall of Fame Honor
By Gary Fitzgerald
Redskins.com
February 5, 2008




For Art Monk and Darrell Green, it was an evening of reflection, friendship, laughter and great memories.

Monk and Green, both elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame last Saturday,
were honored at Redskins Park on Tuesday afternoon in a special
press conference and reception.

Green, still in a joyous mood from a whirlwind weekend after the
Hall of Fame announcement in Phoenix, talked freely. He took to
the podium and joked with Redskins owner Daniel M. Snyder and
former teammates from the stage.

On the other side, Monk was pointed in his comments. The
soft-spoken Redskins great does not speak publicly very often, so
his words were eagerly anticipated.

Monk, overlooked for eight years by Hall of Fame voters, was
humble and said that he was not expecting to be elected this year.

"It really took me by surprise," Monk said. "I really was not
expecting it, although I knew there was a lot of anticipation from
the community. I had just written it off, like I had done the last
few years. It completely caught me off guard."

Monk said he has spent quiet moments reflecting on what it means
to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

"When you get past the media attention, you think about statistics,
you think about putting 'HOF' after your name and taking advantage
the marketing opportunities that come with all of this. But that's not
what I imagine it to really be."

"Really, when I think of the Hall of Fame, I think of Charley Taylor
and Sam Huff, guys who have gone before us. They made sacrifices
and overcome adversities. They made a commitment to the game
and the sport. They represented their teams and the NFL respectfully.

"So when you think of it that way, it's an awesome responsibility. It's
not just a title. It's a responsibility--the same responsibility I tried to
take on as a Redskin. Being a Redskin meant something to me. It
wasn't just a team to play for. And I tried to represent myself with decency,
with character and serve as an example to this community."

Monk, who played for the Redskins from 1980-93 and is the franchise's
all-time leader in receptions, thanked fans for their encouragement
over the years.

One moment remains etched in his memory:

The Redskins were playing the St. Louis Cardinals at RFK Stadium,
and Monk was running a deep pattern down the right sideline.

"I had my defender beat by five yards, as usual," he said, as the
crowd laughed at his rare display of boasting. "Joe [Theismann]
threw
me a great pass--a beautiful, high-arching pass--right down into
my hands. And I dropped it. It would have been a 60-yard
touchdown."

"Upon dropping it, I just collapsed to the ground. And laying
there for probably just two seconds--it seemed like forever--
there was dead silence in the stadium. Absolute silence. And when
I stood up to head back to the huddle, my head down, everybody
just began to applaud me.

"That just did something to me with this community. I'm so committed
to this community."

Monk worked with another Redskins great Charles Mann to establish
the Good Samaritan Foundation, which helps youths to become leaders
in the community and the workplace.

Green also has been active in the community with the Darrell Green
Youth Life Foundation, a group that helps disadvantaged youth.

Green played 20 years with the Redskins and earned seven
Pro Bowl appearances while establishing himself as a top cover cornerback.

"This Redskins organization has been a blessing for me," Green
said. "I would have never moved to the Washington, D.C. area in
a million years--I'm from Texas. I tell you what, I thank God that
he put me in the right place. God told me to stay here and
somehow I continued to play for all of those years."

"It has been a great ride. We are blessed. What have we really
done, that people would love us the way they do? We have been
overpaid with love and kindness and respect and all that God has
given to us."

Redskins greats were out in force to help honor Monk and Green.

Charley Taylor, Dexter Manley, Sam Huff, Joe Jacoby, Roy Jefferson, Gary Clark
and Brian Mitchell were among the Redskins legends on hand.

Taylor and Huff are Hall of Famers themselves, and they
will help welcome Monk and Green into the Hall of Fame next
August.

"When they put on the yellow jacket (signifying Hall of Fame
induction), that means they made it," Taylor said, jokingly. "They
haven't made it yet."

At the end of the press conference, Clark approached the stage
and spoke directly to his former teammates as the crowd looked
on.

"I have never seen two people who have been loved so much,
and it comes from how you played the game and what you did do
in the community for people to love you and respect you," Clark
said. "There were a lot of guys who played extremely hard, by
your side, but never achieved the kind of respect you guys
deserve, because of the way you live your life and the way that
you played the game."

"I take my hat off to both of you guys because you are all a
tribute to the Redskins legacy. You played the game the way it
should have been played: all heart, all 100 percent, giving it all
you have and respecting people outside of the game as well."


Cyg's take: This was WAAAAAY overdue. I'm happy for them.
Don't start none...won't be none.

User avatar
YYZ30
Posts: 6196
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:05 am

Re: Darrell Green and Art Monk Inducted

Post by YYZ30 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:37 am

CygnusX1 wrote:Monk, Green Reflect On Hall of Fame Honor
By Gary Fitzgerald
Redskins.com
February 5, 2008




For Art Monk and Darrell Green, it was an evening of reflection, friendship, laughter and great memories.

Monk and Green, both elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame last Saturday,
were honored at Redskins Park on Tuesday afternoon in a special
press conference and reception.

Green, still in a joyous mood from a whirlwind weekend after the
Hall of Fame announcement in Phoenix, talked freely. He took to
the podium and joked with Redskins owner Daniel M. Snyder and
former teammates from the stage.

On the other side, Monk was pointed in his comments. The
soft-spoken Redskins great does not speak publicly very often, so
his words were eagerly anticipated.

Monk, overlooked for eight years by Hall of Fame voters, was
humble and said that he was not expecting to be elected this year.

"It really took me by surprise," Monk said. "I really was not
expecting it, although I knew there was a lot of anticipation from
the community. I had just written it off, like I had done the last
few years. It completely caught me off guard."

Monk said he has spent quiet moments reflecting on what it means
to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

"When you get past the media attention, you think about statistics,
you think about putting 'HOF' after your name and taking advantage
the marketing opportunities that come with all of this. But that's not
what I imagine it to really be."

"Really, when I think of the Hall of Fame, I think of Charley Taylor
and Sam Huff, guys who have gone before us. They made sacrifices
and overcome adversities. They made a commitment to the game
and the sport. They represented their teams and the NFL respectfully.

"So when you think of it that way, it's an awesome responsibility. It's
not just a title. It's a responsibility--the same responsibility I tried to
take on as a Redskin. Being a Redskin meant something to me. It
wasn't just a team to play for. And I tried to represent myself with decency,
with character and serve as an example to this community."

Monk, who played for the Redskins from 1980-93 and is the franchise's
all-time leader in receptions, thanked fans for their encouragement
over the years.

One moment remains etched in his memory:

The Redskins were playing the St. Louis Cardinals at RFK Stadium,
and Monk was running a deep pattern down the right sideline.

"I had my defender beat by five yards, as usual," he said, as the
crowd laughed at his rare display of boasting. "Joe [Theismann]
threw
me a great pass--a beautiful, high-arching pass--right down into
my hands. And I dropped it. It would have been a 60-yard
touchdown."

"Upon dropping it, I just collapsed to the ground. And laying
there for probably just two seconds--it seemed like forever--
there was dead silence in the stadium. Absolute silence. And when
I stood up to head back to the huddle, my head down, everybody
just began to applaud me.

"That just did something to me with this community. I'm so committed
to this community."

Monk worked with another Redskins great Charles Mann to establish
the Good Samaritan Foundation, which helps youths to become leaders
in the community and the workplace.

Green also has been active in the community with the Darrell Green
Youth Life Foundation, a group that helps disadvantaged youth.

Green played 20 years with the Redskins and earned seven
Pro Bowl appearances while establishing himself as a top cover cornerback.

"This Redskins organization has been a blessing for me," Green
said. "I would have never moved to the Washington, D.C. area in
a million years--I'm from Texas. I tell you what, I thank God that
he put me in the right place. God told me to stay here and
somehow I continued to play for all of those years."

"It has been a great ride. We are blessed. What have we really
done, that people would love us the way they do? We have been
overpaid with love and kindness and respect and all that God has
given to us."

Redskins greats were out in force to help honor Monk and Green.

Charley Taylor, Dexter Manley, Sam Huff, Joe Jacoby, Roy Jefferson, Gary Clark
and Brian Mitchell were among the Redskins legends on hand.

Taylor and Huff are Hall of Famers themselves, and they
will help welcome Monk and Green into the Hall of Fame next
August.

"When they put on the yellow jacket (signifying Hall of Fame
induction), that means they made it," Taylor said, jokingly. "They
haven't made it yet."

At the end of the press conference, Clark approached the stage
and spoke directly to his former teammates as the crowd looked
on.

"I have never seen two people who have been loved so much,
and it comes from how you played the game and what you did do
in the community for people to love you and respect you," Clark
said. "There were a lot of guys who played extremely hard, by
your side, but never achieved the kind of respect you guys
deserve, because of the way you live your life and the way that
you played the game."

"I take my hat off to both of you guys because you are all a
tribute to the Redskins legacy. You played the game the way it
should have been played: all heart, all 100 percent, giving it all
you have and respecting people outside of the game as well."


Cyg's take: This was WAAAAAY overdue. I'm happy for them.
Still no love for Ray Guy though....thats an oversight the hall needs to correct sooner rather than later....

CygnusX1
Posts: 17310
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: We don't call 911 here.

Re: Darrell Green and Art Monk Inducted

Post by CygnusX1 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:53 am

YYZ30 wrote:Still no love for Ray Guy though....thats an oversight the hall needs to correct sooner rather than later....
Agreed....as well as Venetieri(sic?) and Mark Moseley (The last straight-on kicker in the NFL).
Don't start none...won't be none.

Post Reply