GUN CONTROL

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

:shock:
This space for rent
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

A child alone in daddy's room
The gun was hidden here
No one home to catch me when I fall
A young man now in a private chair
I've seen the world through a bitter stare
But my dream is still alive
I'm going to be the best I can

Happy 2015!
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

Siggy, the political battle over firearms cannot be won with logic or reason. When there are those who operate primarily according to emotion, the battle will rage on.

There are those who truly believe that guns are bad for a society, and as long as guns are owned by private citizens in their communities, they will be afraid. Even if there is no behavior to reasonably make a person afraid, they will be afraid. They will argue against guns until they are no longer afraid. The only way for many of them to lose their fear is to have the guns removed. The only problem with that is then a real reason to be afraid will replace the guns. But then it will be too late. Nobody will be able to deter it.
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

We're all mad here!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

schuette wrote:
Walkinghairball wrote:
schuette wrote:bet you were glad they repealed/changed this one :razz:

After one year from the ratification of this article the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for beverage purposes is hereby prohibited.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
they did repeal it you numpty :lol: .....that was the 18th amendment passed by congress in 1917

although in 1933 they must have had a president who enjoyed a tipple and 21st amendment is...
The eighteenth article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed.

so cyggy if they can prohibit things then change their minds..they can change their minds about letting the general crazies...sorry public ;) carry guns :razz:
The process, as documented at www.usconstitution.net is as follows:
The first method is for a bill to pass both houses of the legislature, by a two-thirds majority in each. Once the bill has passed both houses, it goes on to the states. This is the route taken by all current amendments.

The second method prescribed is for a Constitutional Convention to be called by two-thirds of the legislatures of the States, and for that Convention to propose one or more amendments. These amendments are then sent to the states to be approved by three-fourths of the legislatures or conventions. This route has never been taken, and there is discussion in political science circles about just how such a convention would be convened, and what kind of changes it would bring about.

Regardless of which of the two proposal routes is taken, the amendment must be ratified, or approved, by three-fourths of states. There are two ways to do this, too. The text of the amendment may specify whether the bill must be passed by the state legislatures or by a state convention. See the Ratification Convention Page for a discussion of the make up of a convention. Amendments are sent to the legislatures of the states by default. Only one amendment, the 21st, specified a convention. In any case, passage by the legislature or convention is by simple majority.
With the fervor felt over the 2nd amendment it is highly unlikely we will see this repealed any time soon. The people would not stand for it and there would be rebellion. The legislators know this.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

What part of "shall not be infringed" don't the anti's understand? :?
Don't start none...won't be none.
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

For the record I am not against anybodies rights to own a gun. My only point is that in the 41 years I have been on this planet, I have never had the need for one. The reason I have never owned one is that I dont know if I could kill another human being, its just that simple. The movies make it look so easy, however real life is not. I know most of you could say Hell yeah, I could shoot somebody, but when the time comes, in a millisecond, could you make that decsion? If you pull it out, you better be able to, because you have no clue what the other guy is thinking and chances are he would have no problem shooting you.

The other thing and no offense to anybody, but if you have kids, you have no business having a gun in your house. and thats my opinion soley. I know people say, well I keep it locked up. Well, My question is how you going to get to it in the middle of the night if its locked up.

If you are a gun collector or hunter you should be allowed to have guns. But to use the excuse that you use it for protection is lame, because unless you carry it around in your hand 24 hours a day, chances are if you are accosted by somebody with a gun, they are going to shoot you long before you get yours out and ready to fire, that is if you can actually shoot somebody in cold blood.
Happy 2015!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

In my 18th year on this Earth, I was jacked at gunpoint.

They took my van, my guitar, my amp, my music and my money.

All I got was a blow to the head and laid out.

I was lucky. They let me live. That rattled me so bad that I swore
I would never be on the downrange side of a muzzle again.

Three years later, I became a Navy .45 Colt ACP Match Ball
Sharpshooter and earned my ribbon. I took my training and discipline
home when I got my Honorable Discharge to 1stCivDiv.

Since then, I hunt and I shoot legally, by the rules, and so far I haven't
managed to kill a single person yet.

We lost two different pregnancies to stillbirths, so we have no kids. No
reason for me to lock anything up - except my doors at night.

I have a S&W .38 Police Special loaded with hollow-point wadcutters
within reach of where I lay my head.

Sigette has a .357 purse derringer, and she can hit a 25yd. target with it.

Nice. I think I'll keep her. :P

I took a home tactical defense course, and if some dumb bastard breaks
in my home, you can bet the farm that I'll see him before he sees me.

If he lifts on me - game over. I know the rules of engagement in my
state.

Unfortunately, in my state, they allow the perp a "free spin" to attempt
to kill you before you can open fire.

If you live in a state with "Castle" laws or "Make My Day" laws - good for
you. The process just got silly-easier for you, you lucky bastid.

It's pretty much shoot first and ask questions later.

We all have our reasons to own and carry.

Bottom line: Law-abiding citizens have a God-given right to protect
themselves.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Good points Soup, and no offence taken, but I have a question regarding this.............
The reason I have never owned one is that I dont know if I could kill another human being, its just that simple.
You don't think the only reason people own them for is to kill another person do you?

There isn't a gun owner I personally know that hasn't taught personal responsibility and weapon handling to their kids. Locked or otherwise.

And yeah, if it's locked up and the robber has one yer shot. I get that point too.

Hey, it's friday. Lets party.
This space for rent
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Walkinghairball wrote: Hey, it's friday. Lets party.
YEEEEEEEE HAW!

****shoots out the lights****

:roll: Sorry. :oops:

Somebody flick a bic lighter or something...
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

Walkinghairball wrote:Good points Soup, and no offence taken, but I have a question regarding this.............
The reason I have never owned one is that I dont know if I could kill another human being, its just that simple.
You don't think the only reason people own them for is to kill another person do you?

There isn't a gun owner I personally know that hasn't taught personal responsibility and weapon handling to their kids. Locked or otherwise.

And yeah, if it's locked up and the robber has one yer shot. I get that point too.

Hey, it's friday. Lets party.

I hope I did not come off aurgumentive, if I did I apologize. I did say that I know people like to hunt and collect firearms. I also forgot to add that people probably like to target shoot as well. I dont have any problems with people who own guns as long as they use them safely and legally. The only point I was trying to make was that if your justification for owning a gun is self defense, I seriously doubt you would ever get the chance to use your gun, you more than likely will probably get shot first, unless of course the other guy does not have a gun.
Happy 2015!
Walkinghairball

Nope, no argue here. Just clarification of point bro. :-D

Also, Being taught the rules of deadly force, I know I don't shoot an un armed man..........................draw down on him hell yeah, but unless he poses a clear threat.................... no shootie.

Now if he has a knife or a grenade, he's eating hot hollow point hydro shocks. :twisted:
This space for rent
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

No worries on my end Bro. You make a good argument.

There are different views, and they all have to be respected.

The key in firearm self-defense is realizing that perps HAVE a plan before
they strike. We are pretty much left wondering what the hell just
happened...if we survive.

If WE have a defense mechanism, then all bets are off. The perp loses his
advantage, the struggle just got even/or in your favor, and your chances
for survival just went way up. Straight up.
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

I know of 2 occasions where I personally suffered no violence against my person because someone who wanted to harm me knew that I owned a gun and was willing to use it.

In that sense, yes, ownership of a gun has stopped violence against me. I did not even need to brandish it against these people. The knowledge alone did the work.

My point? Bad guys aren't too often stupid, they are opportunistic. By owning a gun, I removed their opportunity, and they KNEW IT!