The RUSH mp3 album

All Rush, all the time

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

The RUSH mp3 album

Post by 1001001 »

You know those car rides, where you just can't decide which CD to take with you? Well, why not take all of them, together on one CD?

Yes, all Rush's studio albums will fit on one CD. No live albums or compilations, though. Every studio song will take up 703MB. Since a CD can only hold 700MB, you need burning software that is capable of over-burnig. I recommend K3b for Linux, and Nero for Windows. (Sorry Mac people, I've never used one, so I don't know).

What I personally do is keep every album in it's own folder. Then on my CD player, use the "shuffle" feature. It gives me a nice mix.

Just wanted to past that on to everyone.
Memory banks unloading
Bytes break into bits
Immortal for a Ltd Time

Post by Immortal for a Ltd Time »

Welcome, 1! Have a great time here!

Great minds think alike....I've done something kinda similar....I have a Rio Riot mp3 player (holds LOTS of music) and I have the entire Rush catalog on there. I created a playlist called, uninterestingly, "Rush Catalog" :roll: and I set it to random play. I have My Favorite Headache and Victor in the playlist as well.
It's all Rush, all the time!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I was lined up for glory, but the tickets sold out in advance
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

All Rush, all the time? *thud*
Onward and Upward!

Post by 1001001 »

Immortal for a Ltd Time wrote:I have My Favorite Headache and Victor in the playlist as well.
I have those on another CD that I made. I'm really into these "MP3 CDs". I have one with all KISS studio albums. Another with all Mr. Big albums, plus Talas, and Paul Gilbert and some Racer X. One that's all of Steve Vai's songs, plus Joe Satriani. I love making these.
Memory banks unloading
Bytes break into bits
PV
Site Admin

Post by PV »

Thanks, 1001!!! That's great news! I shall assume this is software you have to buy?

I'm saving for a new mp3 player and I'd like to get one of the Dell DJs. They have a 20 gig unit that looks great! I have a friend who just ordered one so I'm anxious to hear how he likes it. I figure if I get that I can put all my cds on it and then just take it in the car as it comes with a car adapter set. 8)
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

dells are low quality peices of garbage, i'd go with that mac made one over the dell, and i don't like macs either .. But dells, PBLEH trash.

How to rip and burn

Post by 1001001 »

PV wrote:Thanks, 1001!!! That's great news! I shall assume this is software you have to buy?

Well, the only software you'll need is either K3b (if you run Linux) or Nero (for Windows). Actually, K3b is open-source, so you don't buy it; just download it. I've never had a Mac, so I'm not sure what the equilivent is.

If you have MusicMatch (which comes with most pre-built Windows computers), or Grip (for Linux - comes with Red Hat, SuSe, and Mandrake), you can use that to rip your cds. I set my up so it goes into this folder: mp3/<artist>/<album>/track # - song title.mp3

Encode them all at 128kbs. Every studio album (minus "greatest hits"), with equal 703 MBs. Since the CD can only hold 700MB, you need to set K3b, or Nero, to overburn. Once the CD is done - you'll have an directory tree that looks like this:

- track 2
- etc
A Fairwell To Kings
- track 1
- etc
..and so on

The CD player I have is a Sony MP3/CD player walkman, with a car kit. I pop the cd in, and just hit shuffle. That way, I'll hear the keyboard driven "Subdivisions", next to the guitar heavy "Working Man", next to the ambience of "Tai Shan". It makes for an interesting mix.
Memory banks unloading
Bytes break into bits
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

You can actually fit every single song onto one cd? :shock: Whenever I burn a cd, I can never get over a certain amount of songs, how the hell do you do this? :o

Post by 1001001 »

Kevin wrote:You can actually fit every single song onto one cd? :shock: Whenever I burn a cd, I can never get over a certain amount of songs, how the hell do you do this? :o

Encode all the studio albums (minus the "greatest hits"), as 128kbs mp3 files.

Next, pop in a 700MB/80min CD in your burner

Now, set your software to make a DATA CD, and turn on the OVERBURN option. You will be buring 703 MBs. If you can't turn that on, then you will have to find one 4 minute song that you don't care for, to get it down to 700MB even.

Now, take your CD and put it in your MP3 CD player, and enjoy!
Memory banks unloading
Bytes break into bits
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

Kevin wrote:You can actually fit every single song onto one cd? :shock: Whenever I burn a cd, I can never get over a certain amount of songs, how the hell do you do this? :o
All the studio albums will fit on one CD. At 128kbs, encoding with MusicMatch, they're 700mb on my machine (I didn't have to overburn). Encode over 128, and they won't fit (1.03gb at 192kbs)
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
PV
Site Admin

Post by PV »

Bytor, I have MusicMatch v8.1 and that is where all my music is stored. How do I convert my mp3 files to 128 so I can burn them all on to one cd?
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

PV wrote:Bytor, I have MusicMatch v8.1 and that is where all my music is stored. How do I convert my mp3 files to 128 so I can burn them all on to one cd?
Figure it out your damn self. :twisted:
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
PV
Site Admin

Post by PV »

by-tor wrote:Figure it out your damn self.
Well I never! :shock:

First he wants to charge me $60/hour for help, then he says this... And he helped me out splendidly anyway. 8) Sorry to blow your cover, By-tor. :wink:

Post by 1001001 »

by-tor wrote:
All the studio albums will fit on one CD. At 128kbs, encoding with MusicMatch, they're 700mb on my machine (I didn't have to overburn). Encode over 128, and they won't fit (1.03gb at 192kbs)

Hmm?! Is there a toggle to get the extra space at the end of the song cropped off?

That has to be what's doing it, because every songs is encoded at 128.
Memory banks unloading
Bytes break into bits

Post by 1001001 »

PV wrote:Bytor, I have MusicMatch v8.1 and that is where all my music is stored. How do I convert my mp3 files to 128 so I can burn them all on to one cd?

Music Match can re-encode MP3 files. Also, there are plug-ins for WinAmp that will do it as well.
Memory banks unloading
Bytes break into bits