elusive drum solos from ESL and GUP vids

A place to discuss the videos

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

DigitalKid

elusive drum solos from ESL and GUP vids

Post by DigitalKid »

Hey, (that's yer name isn't it?)

We were all disappointed back in the 1980's when we rented the ESL vhs, hoping to see the exact magic we'd only heard for so long, and then discovered not only was it not the same stuff as on the audio tape, but the main attraction of a Rush Concert, the drum solo, was excluded. Then again, Rush has admitted to using illegal drugs in their early years....

I recently got into looking for Rush videos, and somebody told me that there IS a video of ESL which includes the entire yyz + drum solo, as heard on the audio album. He said it was the Japanese laserdisc version. Is that true?

He said the original GUP concert video had a drum solo in the middle of "Red Lenses", yet the commercially produced dvd I just got (Replay x 3) has neither solo nor "red lenses". Correct me if I'm wrong...didnt' the original vhs of GUP tour contain both?

There is a similar question regarding the "A show of hands" dvd, I've heard through the grapevine that his drum solo was longer than the bit which appears on this commercial release, but they chopped some of it out, for whatever reason.

Anybody know where the lost bits from the chopped up official versions can be located? My best friend is also a Rush fan, and I was hoping to splice the lost solos back into their proper place and burn a dvd birthday gift she'd never forget, (having thought since 1985 that RUSH never filmed more of the ESL solo than the tiny unsatisfying bit overdubbed with talking on the original ESL vid.).

I've been to the official Rush website, but they don't seem to have addressed the question of Neils missing solo videos. I've seen his "Anatomy of a Drum Solo", and while it was awesome, I'd trade it away a hundred new copies of it instantly for even a bad quality video of his 1981 ESL solo, wouldn't you?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

"Attention all plants of the molar trepidation...we have consumed petrol, we have consumed petrol..." -skepticdude
"and the meeeeshun, will neeeever be complete..."
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

The encore of the GUP tour began with
Red Lenses, the drum solo, then the end of RL.
It then went right into the Vital Signs intro.
That was not on the original VHS, which I have.
That is why when Tom Sawyer ends, the screen zips out
and zips in with the begining sounds of Vital in progress.
Tricky editing.

ASOH drum solo is cut both on the album and video.
I read an interview with Neil where he stated it was to be thrown in, and he didn't want it on there. So they added another song, and let him edit it down any way he wanted. So Neil controlled what aspects of the solo
ended up on the album and video.
I know not of anything containing the entire solo from that show.

As for ESL, ya got me.
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

With regard to the missing segments from ESL, to the best of my knowledge, all this material was thrown away and, as such, no longer exists.

A brief look at The DRE, does not seem to reveal a video boot for the Moving Pictures tour. Nor does there seem to be one from the ESL tour.

My VHS copy of P/G does not feature Red Lenses or the drum solo. I don't know about the existence of the edited material.

There is a video boot from the P/G tour, entitled The Night is Black, recorded at The Forum, Montreal on July 14, a few days before the video was filmed.. According to the coments I've seen, its not brilliant quality visually, but does have a good sound to it.

The drum solo from A Show of Hands was, indeed, longer (I remember, I was there when it was filmed) and, at the end, featured a brief snippet of Red Lenses.

For HYF shows, there are a couple of DVD boots. Parts in Motion (Springfield 9/11/1987) is described as being pretty good visually but a little dodgy soundwise. However, it does feature the entire show as does Behind Our Fire(Toronto 7/3/1988), albeit with a few cuts in a couple of songs. Like the above release, the picture quality is described as being good for its time, but not perfect, although the sound is pretty good.

Of the audio boots for the Birmingham shows (where the video was filmed), the majority are simply the audio portion of the Video or laser disc. A complete audio show is available on Kingdom of Fire II and IV(possibly with a few minor cuts) and on Rhythms of the Night (although Red Lenses is not listed).

Personally, I haven't got any of these but if you take a look at Rushboots you may find someone who can help you.
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
rallyhaki

Post by rallyhaki »

I was not smart at all. You guys have to have to explain.