New Rush Fan... Need Advice!

A place to discuss the studio albums

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

EvilCheeseWedge

New Rush Fan... Need Advice!

Post by EvilCheeseWedge »

I just purchased The Spirit of Radio a few days ago, and quite like Rush. So where do you recommend I go from here? 2112 I'm definitely gettin'... the six minutes of it on Spirit are enough to pull me in. What else do you recommend to a Rush n00b? 8)
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

I would recommend hold you fire or power windows, my personal favourite, hemispehres sports some of their best basslines though, very fun to play if your a bassist of great calibre. Vapour trails was simply amazing, some of their heavier stuff on their.
EvilCheeseWedge

Sir Myghin wrote:I would recommend hold you fire or power windows, my personal favourite, hemispehres sports some of their best basslines though, very fun to play if your a bassist of great calibre. Vapour trails was simply amazing, some of their heavier stuff on their.
I will check out both as soon as I can. I like to play bass, but I don't have a bass guitar, so I only get to play when I can steal someone else's :x
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

eek, thats not the best way to become a geddy like bassist, takes constant time and devotion , fortunately teenagers have little life so i've not had a problem
EvilCheeseWedge

Sir Myghin wrote:eek, thats not the best way to become a geddy like bassist, takes constant time and devotion , fortunately teenagers have little life so i've not had a problem
I guess the other alternative is to learn the bass lines on the guitar, which isn't really a big problem 8) (or... learn the guitar parts! Hehe.)
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

but the tension, tone and string spacing is too different, when you go to transfer over, you'll be a fish out of water, and besides, half the fun of playing bass, is feeling the vibe , i've gotten my ear blasting for rattling the hosues siding but it was worth it!
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

Just make sure the stuff is off the walls first! Playing basslines on the guitar isn't worth the effort if you're trying to be a bassist, the technique is quite different, in my opinion!
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT
EvilCheeseWedge

*Lifesonite wrote:Just make sure the stuff is off the walls first! Playing basslines on the guitar isn't worth the effort if you're trying to be a bassist, the technique is quite different, in my opinion!
It's true, but given the options... well the guitar is the only one! As soon as I have enough money I will buy a bass (it won't be very good, but it will be a bass! :P ) so that I can play bass... on bass... and not guitar! Right now my beloved SG is broken, so my top priority is getting it to a service center... the closest one being... far...
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

broken, my goodness what happened to it!
EvilCheeseWedge

Sir Myghin wrote:broken, my goodness what happened to it!
Good question. It produces no sound whatsoever. There's probably a wiring probably in relation to the jack... since it's still under warranty (yay!) I don't want to open it and tinker with it myself... so for now I've got my crappy old Squier, and I'm borrowing a friend's Fender Strat (so life is better than with the Squier 8) )
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

faulty wiring sheesh, only with new instruments glad most my gear is vintage
EvilCheeseWedge

Sir Myghin wrote:faulty wiring sheesh, only with new instruments glad most my gear is vintage
It's an Epiphone G400... what do you expect? :P

(I can't afford anything else... so... um... weeee!)
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

its all good, we all have our budgets, unfortunately, i inheritted my bass and acoustic guitar from father ( bass) and uncle ( guitar) my electric is a squire strat, its a crappy guitar, i picked it up used just to shred
EndlesslyRocking

Post by EndlesslyRocking »

Welcome!

Since no one's said it yet, let's start with the obvious: go out and buy/borrow/steal Moving Pictures. It'll blow you away.

Power Windows, Vapor Trails, and Counterparts are also at the top of my personal RUSH list.

Enjoy!
Life in two dimensions is a mass-production scheme...
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

I would also highly recommend A Farewell to Kings for Rush at their most grandiose and majestic and Roll the Bones which, alongside Hold Your Fire, is very accessible for a casual listener.
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'