Vapor Trails

A place to discuss the studio albums

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Mr. Bill

Post by Mr. Bill »

Good man Fridge!

From one giant to another - glad your aboard.

Take care.

Bill.
Living One Long Sunrise
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

Good, and I don't mean to come off as jerk either, Fridge, welcome to the boards! You've got a few inches with a few dozen more pounds than I do, so I'll just steer clear :lol:
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT
Mr. Bill

Post by Mr. Bill »

-- /\ --

Definitely not a jerk!

:D :D :D :D :D
Living One Long Sunrise
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

8)

Meester Bill! :shock:

Oh yeah, VT rocks, by the way. The production is a bit a muddy but I still like the songs. It doesn't really ruin them, for me.
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT
Immortal for a Ltd Time

Post by Immortal for a Ltd Time »

I absolutely LOVE VT!
Yes, I'll have to agree that the sound could be better, but the quality of the songwriting just blows me away. This disk is still in heavy rotation, and it's been like, what, 2 years since it's release? I can't think of many other pieces of work that I haven't tired of after 2 years!

VT rocks steady from start to finish, without a single note out of place. Pure genius. 8)

(IMHO of course! :D )
I was lined up for glory, but the tickets sold out in advance
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

I think the production is muddy because they avoided the studio doll up of the sound. I actually prefer it, sounds more real, much closer to what they play live
EndlesslyRocking

Post by EndlesslyRocking »

Immortal for a Ltd Time wrote:I absolutely LOVE VT!
Yes, I'll have to agree that the sound could be better, but the quality of the songwriting just blows me away. This disk is still in heavy rotation, and it's been like, what, 2 years since it's release? I can't think of many other pieces of work that I haven't tired of after 2 years!

VT rocks steady from start to finish, without a single note out of place. Pure genius.
I wholeheartedly agree. One of my favorite albums of all time. Absolutely brilliant. I never get tired of it.

(Also IMHO)

:)
Life in two dimensions is a mass-production scheme...
Mr. Bill

Post by Mr. Bill »

I remember the first time I played it and somewhere about 30 seconds into OLV I looked at my buddy and said "holy shit, Neil made a mistake!".

I then caught on to the fact that either something was wrong with the recording OR they were trying to achieve a live-on-the-floor sound. I still don't know what the intention or failure was.

For a long time my opinion was that if anyone didn't think something was wrong I thought they were a little naive. I think I still believe that but somehow the sound of the recording has taken on a new feel with me because of the number of times I have heard it no doubt. As if it was intentional. I'll likely never come to terms with it.

But I completely agree - the songwriting is brilliant. In fact, I would say on the whole this might be their best group of songs in one session. One thing about VT...there is something there for everyone and the writing has a strong magnetic charm all it's own.

I know at one time there were a group of technically savy fans who were actually looking into remastering the recording themselves. I'm not sure how you do that without a master but in today's digital world it may be possible. In fact - I'm sure it is and I have no idea what I think about that.

Interesting but altered. :?
Living One Long Sunrise
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

I know at one time there were a group of technically savy fans who were actually looking into remastering the recording themselves. I'm not sure how you do that without a master but in today's digital world it may be possible. In fact - I'm sure it is and I have no idea what I think about that.

Interesting but altered. :?[/quote]

To be honest, I WOULD welcome this, as I feel that it could only improve the album. I'm not sure what they were trying to achieve with the mix, but other bands have tried this as well (Metallica with St Anger - What a load of bollocks THAT was).

What is noticeable is that certain tracks sound much better live as they are not overlayered and multitracked to excess as they are in the studio.
I still think that even remastering it would leave us with the problem that most of the album is far too "busy".- There are simply too many overdubs
Ach, if Dougie was here he'd tell you himself....
You Bet Your Life

Re: Vapor Trails Fear Factor...

Post by You Bet Your Life »

Geddysbro wrote:Hey Everyone! I was listening to the last part of the Fear series yesterday wodering if it's not the best part of the Fear series. Does anyone 'not' think it's the most forboding,challenging,gripping piece of music they've heard? Not that the other 'Fear' songs aren't great, but just like Freeze captures the essence of what the word 'fear' means. It's one of those songs that deserves to be set on 'continue' on the ol' CD player and listened to a few times in a row. Oh ok, just hit 'continue' for the whole CD. Great work A,G,N!!!
It's intense stuff. It makes my blood run ten times faster.
Scottish Lad

Post by Scottish Lad »

Ah, Vapor Trails is one of my favourite Rush albums. Third only to Moving Pictures and 2112.

My favourite track being the title track "Vapor Trail". I also love Ghost Rider and Sweet Miracle loads.
I can learn to resist,
Anything but temptation,
I can learn to co-exist,
With anything but pain.
H3WMW

Post by H3WMW »

Did you know that there's a freaky chilling voice at the end of NOCTURNE???

If you listen very closely to the very end of the song, there is like a flanger sound and a robotic voice goes HELP ME.......HELP ME!!!!!!

Check it out and you'll hear what I mean.

Sleep tight!!!!!
Bassist of Joe's Band

3 travelers

Post by 3 travelers »

H3WMW wrote:Did you know that there's a freaky chilling voice at the end of NOCTURNE???

If you listen very closely to the very end of the song, there is like a flanger sound and a robotic voice goes HELP ME.......HELP ME!!!!!!

Sleep tight!!!!!
I'm definitely gonna check that out...
LEMME SHOW YA SUMTHIN....!!!!
H3WMW

Post by H3WMW »

3 travelers wrote:
H3WMW wrote:Did you know that there's a freaky chilling voice at the end of NOCTURNE???

Sleep tight!!!!!
I'm definitely gonna check that out...
Did you hear it??

SPOOKY!!
Bassist of Joe's Band

Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

i'm going to look into this heh