RUSH

A place to discuss the studio albums

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Soup4Rush

RUSH

Post by Soup4Rush »

I wonder why nobody has brought this one up. This is a great album. I have been listening to this one regular for a couple of weeks now. I was talking to a guy a few weeks back and he told me he saw Rush right after they released this album in some college auditorium. He thought it was around 1974. He said it was a great show. He only owns this one CD and has never heard another Rush song. I turned him onto Vapor Trails and Feedback. Have not heard back yet how he liked those two. Talk about only liking old school Rush.......... sheesh. I was also wondering if anybody knew if John Rutsey toured with Rush or not? or did he just do the first Rush album and leave and Neil toured in support of that album? just curious is all....
Happy 2015!
3 travelers

Post by 3 travelers »

Who's this Rutsey character :lol: :lol:
LEMME SHOW YA SUMTHIN....!!!!
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

Funny you should bring this up as I was listening to it today.

I think that is the album is treated unfairly by some people. Yes, its not in the league of something like Moving Pictures but that doesn't stop it being a cracking album. There's a rawness and energy about it that I absolutely love as well as some pretty good songs.

Everyone tends to throw the names Working Man, In the Mood or Finding My Way about, but what about the unsung gems there. Here Again features some amazing guitar work from Alex along with a wonderfully passionate vocal from Ged. Both What You're Doing and Need Some Love are thoutoughly enjoyable due to their direct simplicity. For me, the highlight of the album has got to be Befor and After which, despite the heavy Led Zep overtones, really gives an indication of the goodies that were to come.

The only disapointment for me is Take a Friend. Despite an interesting guitar opening, its thoroughly ordinary with painfully banal lyrics.
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
3 travelers

Post by 3 travelers »

Slaine mac Roth wrote:Funny you should bring this up as I was listening to it today.

I think that is the album is treated unfairly by some people. Yes, its not in the league of something like Moving Pictures but that doesn't stop it being a cracking album. There's a rawness and energy about it that I absolutely love as well as some pretty good songs.

Everyone tends to throw the names Working Man, In the Mood or Finding My Way about, but what about the unsung gems there. Here Again features some amazing guitar work from Alex along with a wonderfully passionate vocal from Ged. Both What You're Doing and Need Some Love are thoutoughly enjoyable due to their direct simplicity. For me, the highlight of the album has got to be Befor and After which, despite the heavy Led Zep overtones, really gives an indication of the goodies that were to come.

The only disapointment for me is Take a Friend. Despite an interesting guitar opening, its thoroughly ordinary with painfully banal lyrics.
I've always considered the first album underrated myself
LEMME SHOW YA SUMTHIN....!!!!
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

i really like here again that song rocks, i like the bluesy feel to it
Rushgirl

Post by Rushgirl »

This is one of my faves!!! Totally underated and funny enough, my most fave tracks on this album are NOT Working Man or Finding My Way. Here Again is awesome!!!!!!
Plus, being a beginning drummer, these beats are easier to lay down than what the Drum God does :-D
"This man is a drunk male prostitute" - Ricky about Alex, Trailer Park Boys
D'Anconia

Post by D'Anconia »

Here Again is a good song indeed. You know, Rutsey's drumming isn't that bad, either. Tough when your compare is Neil Peart, tho'.
Regards,
Bri

"...from here in Oregon, where we are far too stupid to dispense our own gasoline." Neil Peart
The Necromancer

Post by The Necromancer »

Agreed. Interestingly enough, Rutsey doesn't play drums anymore, he's a bodybuilder now... In fact, I recall hearing he works out with Alex from time to time.

I think the reason that RUSH is underappreciated is because it lacks the panache that Neil's lyrics seem to throw into the mix. It's a great instrumental album, love jamming to "Working Man"
Wheels within whells, a spiral array
A pattern so grand and complex
Time after time, we loose sight of the way
Our causes can't see their effects

-The Necromancer
schuette

Post by schuette »

seriously a bodybuilder???? ...jings I would have never ever thought of him coming a bodybuilder!
D'Anconia

Post by D'Anconia »

schuette wrote:seriously a bodybuilder???? ...jings I would have never ever thought of him coming a bodybuilder!
I remember reading that back in the '80s. I think Alex mentioned it in the "Success Under Pressure" book that came out after P/G.
Regards,
Bri

"...from here in Oregon, where we are far too stupid to dispense our own gasoline." Neil Peart
schuette

Post by schuette »

jings ma boab...its obvious I never followed his career when he left Rush but a bodybuilder!!!!
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

As far as I am concerned there are several albums it pisses all over eg

Vapour Trails.Counterparts, RollThe Bones etc.
Ach, if Dougie was here he'd tell you himself....
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

This used to be my least favorite album. Feedback took that spot.
This space for rent