Shrek and RIR?

Rush questions and hopefully, answers

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

PV
Site Admin

Shrek and RIR?

Post by PV »

I was watching RIR yesterday and then the kids put in the Shrek dvd. I was noticing some similarities between the two dragons, right down to three "horns" on each side of their heads. Does anyone know if the same animators did both dragons?

Funny story here... I was telling my husband about my question and my youngest, who is 7, said, "No Mommy, they are not the same." I asked her how she knew and she replied, "Shrek's dragon is a girl and the Rush one is a boy." I asked her again how she knew and she said, while pointing the the RIR dvd cover, "Well do you see any lipstick on that one?" :lol:
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

Shrek was done by Dreamworks, and the Rush dragon was done by a company called Spin out of Toronto. I don't know if someone who worked for Dreamworks now works for Spin, but I don't think they're similiar enough.

That's about the only dislike I have of the RIR DVD. The more I look at the dragon animation, the more I see it as a hack job. I mean, I guess it's supposed to have a cartoon look, but the 'lighting' is bad, the shadows are off, and the movement is too jumpy. It's better than anything I could ever do, but it's nowhere near a top quality computer 3D animation. But hey, that kind of work (ala Pixar, Dreamworks, etc.) costs mega-bucks, and Rush is about audio, not visual.
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
PV
Site Admin

Post by PV »

Thanks for the info, By-tor. We watched again last night and to us they still resemble eachother but I see what you mean about the quality. And yes, Rush is most definitely about the sound so it's forgivable.
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
KaelMwithascrubbrush
Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

Post by KaelMwithascrubbrush »

awwww, the RIR dragon is funny enough to get the job done, eh?
"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."
-Steven Wright
The Necromancer

Post by The Necromancer »

And, if I remember right, The dragon was done by Hugh Syme, and made a cameo on "Vapor Trails"... So it was kind of a running gag that Hugh and Geddy worked out...
Wheels within whells, a spiral array
A pattern so grand and complex
Time after time, we loose sight of the way
Our causes can't see their effects

-The Necromancer
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Still look's cool to me.
This space for rent
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

The dragon was SO cool.....What they DIDN'T show in RIR was, when I saw them in VA for "Vapor Trails", they show a shorty of the dragon flaming up a blunt....Can't remember what song it was, but it was awesome...Anybody else see that? And NO, I wasn't doing the 4:20 thing! hahaha

Peace out,

Cygnus
Don't start none...won't be none.
Grandpa Grizz

Post by Grandpa Grizz »

CygnusX1 wrote:The dragon was SO cool.....What they DIDN'T show in RIR was, when I saw them in VA for "Vapor Trails", they show a shorty of the dragon flaming up a blunt....Can't remember what song it was, but it was awesome...Anybody else see that? And NO, I wasn't doing the 4:20 thing! hahaha

Peace out,

Cygnus
That's the animation for One Little Victory, right?
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Don't know Grandpa....Possibly, but the beer goggles were kinda thick then...hahaha I was really let down when they did 2112 two octaves lower than it should have been played...Alex's solos almost made no sense, but my hats off to him for keeping it consistent...same notes, just a couple of octaves lower.....It's gotta be Geddy's voice letting go...

Cygnus
Don't start none...won't be none.
3 travelers

Post by 3 travelers »

Grandpa Grizz wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:The dragon was SO cool.....What they DIDN'T show in RIR was, when I saw them in VA for "Vapor Trails", they show a shorty of the dragon flaming up a blunt....Can't remember what song it was, but it was awesome...Anybody else see that? And NO, I wasn't doing the 4:20 thing! hahaha

Peace out,

Cygnus
That's the animation for One Little Victory, right?
You are correct GG.... :cool:
LEMME SHOW YA SUMTHIN....!!!!
3 travelers

Post by 3 travelers »

CygnusX1 wrote:Don't know Grandpa....Possibly, but the beer goggles were kinda thick then...hahaha I was really let down when they did 2112 two octaves lower than it should have been played...Alex's solos almost made no sense, but my hats off to him for keeping it consistent...same notes, just a couple of octaves lower.....It's gotta be Geddy's voice letting go...

Cygnus
4:20 ??? :weedman:

Spark it up, baby!!!!!
LEMME SHOW YA SUMTHIN....!!!!
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

The dragon lit up a cigar before OLV in the video. Are you talking about a special "blunt" thingy they did for certain shows? I know they deviate the videos for certain cities.

That woulda been koo!

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...