Prop 8 Repurcussions

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Xanadu wrote: It was a religious institution now its both (you know how you go to court to ged a marriage license)...and the thing is, if gays want to get married, the government shouldn't intrude into their lives and say that they can't. They have just as much right to live their lives as do the rest of us. Your church can still not recognize their marriage...or marry them there.
They do have the right to live their lives. I don't think anyone here who disagrees with the lifestyle wants them dead. Not at all. But, well, there are things that we want to do that we should not do, for all of us. This is one of those areas that many see as a should not do.

Something that has been brought up in other discussions I've seen on this issue comes to mind. How much do we allow? When do we say, "no more"? We say that male can marry male and female can marry female, but we don't allow a man to marry two women? Or a woman to have three husbands? We don't allow an adult to marry a 12 year old. These are all things that have been allowed in other cultures, and, many would argue do not harm anyone.

As for the church being able to not recognize the marriage....ummmm....the law was such everyone was going to be required to recognize it. That would include the church, or the church would be classified as discriminating.

Something many churches are concerned about is being forced to allow homosexuals in leadership positions. There is a problem here. If the law says that everyone must recognize this as okay, the church's beliefs that it is not okay are going to be illegal and they will be forced to allow people to do things the church believes is wrong and not be able to say anything.
Onward and Upward!
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

Churches shouldn't be forced into any of that, again that's government intrusion. My question is, how far are we willing to let the government intrude into our lives? I think marriage should be defined as between 2 consenting adults. As for polygamy, I can't see how its harmless, its oppressive to women...besides how could you have a happy satisfying relationship when you share your partner with other people. :roll:
We're all mad here!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Okay, you don't see polygamy as harmful. But there are many who tell you it is wonderful and they love it and it harms no one.

I, as a child who was raised in a gay home, do see homosexuality as harmful. I know it sure hurt me.

So, what do we do?
Onward and Upward!
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

Xanadu wrote:besides how could you have a happy satisfying relationship when you share your partner with other people. :roll:
"Not tonight, I have a headache..."

And out of the bullpen in relief of wife #1...is wife #3

(I kid people, relax!)
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

YYZ30 wrote:
Xanadu wrote:besides how could you have a happy satisfying relationship when you share your partner with other people. :roll:

(I kid people, relax!)
LOLOL

Ya know, I've often seriously wondered, do the men get tired of it, of having to please multiple women, or are they just happy that if one wife isn't willing to put out there is another who will? And what if all the sister-wives get together and plot to not give him any!??! MAN! That must be frustrating! lol
Onward and Upward!
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

I agree with Xanny here... and she was saying everything I am thinking.. she just says it better than me.. consenting adults is the key here.. I disagree with the lifestyle, but its really not my place to judge. or the goverment.. 50 years ago blacks were not allowed to drink out of the same water fountain as whites.. and than that thinking was OK with the majority of people.. I think 50 years from now, I think homosexuality will be seen in the same light.. you should not judge a person from their skin tone or their sexual orientation.. we are all just people trying to make our way and trying to find a little happiness along that journey.
Happy 2015!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I see where you are coming from. Funny, though, isn't it, that a majority of blacks voted against gay-marriage in California?

Once again, though, I wonder about the other forms of marriage which we do not allow and think, should we those as well? You say your criterium is consenting adults, so I guess that would rule out the adult marrying a 12 year-old, but, polygamy would be acceptable.
Onward and Upward!
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

awip2062 wrote:
YYZ30 wrote:

(I kid people, relax!)
LOLOL

Ya know, I've often seriously wondered, do the men get tired of it, of having to please multiple women, or are they just happy that if one wife isn't willing to put out there is another who will? And what if all the sister-wives get together and plot to not give him any!??! MAN! That must be frustrating! lol
Do we get tired of having to please multiple partners? Or of "it" in general?

I am confused.
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

I guess if the women were OK with it as consenting adults, sure.. but there again, not my cup of tea.. I am no good at being married to one woman at a time.. I can't even begin to imagine trying to keep multiple woman happy. :-D

and not to lessen your situation t, but when you were a kid, homosexuality was very taboo and kept in a closet, so it would have been harder for you to deal with it in yesterday's society, than in the society we live in today.. still with that said, the sex part of homosexuality should be kept behind closed doors much like I would not have sex with a woman in public view or in front of my kids..
Happy 2015!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

YYZ30 wrote:
Do we get tired of having to please multiple partners? Or of "it" in general?

I am confused.
If the man in a polygamous relationship would get tired of having to please so many women, thus becoming tired of "it" in general.

I am confusing! :-D
Onward and Upward!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Soup4Rush wrote: I can't even begin to imagine trying to keep multiple woman happy. :-D

Hey! I am a woman and I can't even keep myself happy! ;-)
Onward and Upward!
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

yeah, but you make everybody around you very happy!!! :-)
Happy 2015!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Soup4Rush wrote:

and not to lessen your situation t, but when you were a kid, homosexuality was very taboo and kept in a closet, so it would have been harder for you to deal with it in yesterday's society, than in the society we live in today.
There is that possibility, yes. What I remember, though, was wanting a dad, not another woman, but a man who loved us and cherished us and took care of us. There is an innate difference between men and women and I felt that as a kid and wanted a man around.

Also, as a kid, I grew up thinking homosexuality itself was normal, until I learnt later, mid-elementary school age) that society was against it. heh It wasn't until then that I really noticed my home life was different! I was pretty insulated in the small community made up of hippies and scientists (and weird LAPD officers....) who all were most accepting of my mom and godmother's relationship.
Onward and Upward!
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

I can see where you are coming from t, and that is the touchy part with gay marriage for me, because of the children involved and the possibility they could get hurt... and I see both sides of that argument too. some kids would be OK with it, while others are hurt from it. I am not sure how I would have felt about it, not having to deal with that, but I can imagine it would have been hard to deal with and accept and I am sorry that it caused you a lot of pain.. :(
Happy 2015!
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Ok, I wanna shot at this.

I work for a gay man, you all know this, I have never asked him about the Prop 8 stuff. I have no problem with gay people as long as I don't feel pressured by them, same goes with God fearing folks.

This being said, here I go.

I agree with the consenting adult part of it. I agree with equal rights for all, but I detest special rights. I am not saying that the P8 stuff is a special right. But before women got their equal rights and before blacks got their equal rights there was a long time of (shall we say) hiding in the closet for all. This will most likely take time to become wide spread acceptable as the other issues did. I think the anger from the gay community to get this pushed thru so fast is unrealistic. Others had to wait, I guess the planet just needs to move ahead, but still, in time I think it will.

My sisters friend that lives 2 blocks from me has a girl friend living there with her and her son, he is fully aware of what is going on there, and seems well adjusted to his life. I don't know if he catches flak for it, I have never asked. Now they aren't the "Man hatin" kind, infact they are really neat and I would take a bullet for either, but sometimes they get colossal bitchy like they gotta have it now. UGH. So that is what I base my above statement on is from knowing them.

Ok, I'm out of waffles.
This space for rent