Film Reviews

Day to day life of the Rush fans

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

I know, but Python used that joke earlier than Mel Brookes and, I think, a lot funnier. :lol:
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Slaine mac Roth wrote:I know, but Python used that joke earlier than Mel Brookes and, I think, a lot funnier. :lol:
I dunno... I loved that tiny cain (cane? sp?) Igor was using... and then he hands it up to Fredrick and gestures how to hold it and wobble it.

The best part about the Python gag was when somebody would start to say the punchline and everyone else in the sketch would turn and give him a silencing/warning look and he wouldn't even finish the sentence.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Slaine mac Roth

Don't get me wrong, I do like Mel Brookes a hell of a lot. However, I do run into a stumbling block with him, as with a lot of American humourists (I hate the term comedian, it sounds like someone with with an inflated idea of his own humouressness telling uinfunny jokes - yes Bobby Davro, you can put your hand down) and that is the cultural divide.

Quite simply, a pun, wether oral or visual, will be made that references something in contemporary American culture and it will go over my head because I have no idea what they are referencing. Robin Hood- Men in Tights seems to be a particular culprit.

Its like me referncing Waggledance or Alan Meale - the names probably mean nothing to you. For example, I could say that Puka have got the wedding cake concession in Shirebrook. Obviously, I am making a sarcastic comment about something but, someone not living in the area surrounding Mansfield will have no frame of reference (Puka make meat pies and Shirebrook in a very dodgy town just outside mansfield)

Therefore, to me, Monty Python make the best humourous films and are onlu surpassed by the Goons. But that's mainly because I'm British.

Does that make sense? :?:
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Overall, I definitely prefer Python to Brooks. No Brooks movie can stand up to Holy Grail. The only place I deviate is that "Walk this way" gag.

Having said that, both have made movies that I see as losers. I hardly laughed at all at Meaning of Life or Spaceballs and would never reccomend them to friends.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Life of Brian is pretty good also.
This space for rent
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

ElfDude wrote:Walk this way...
No, no, this way....
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

Slaine mac Roth wrote:Therefore, to me, Monty Python make the best humourous films and are onlu surpassed by the Goons. But that's mainly because I'm British.

Does that make sense? :?:
I know where you're coming from. Most Americans don't really find the British humor all that funny when compared to comedy's from this side of the pond. Chalk that up to cutural and language (slang) differences. I won't debate Brooks vs. Python...I love them both for different reasons.
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
EndlesslyRocking

Post by EndlesslyRocking »

ElfDude wrote:I'm a little bit weird, so take this for what it's worth. Most of the films I end up seeing are family films because I go with my daughters.

One of my favorite family movies in the last couple of years was Holes.
Holes was Brilliant! Excellent movie, whether you're a kid or adult.

Monty Python is always classic. Better Get a Bucket!

My daughter and I saw Van Helsing yesterday. What a trip! Bizarre and wonderful. We really liked it.
Life in two dimensions is a mass-production scheme...
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

"Heee vas my.....BOYFRIEND!!!!!"

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
Slaine mac Roth

I must admit, though, I don't think Monty Python's films came up to the standard of their TV work. Nothing in the film's was ever as funny the Parrot Sketch, Spam or The Spanish Inquisition.

Saying that, I am a big fan of the Knoghts Who Say Ni and the Crimson Permanent Assurance.
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

I want to apply to the Minister of Funny Walks for a grant.
Slaine mac Roth

As long as you don't enter Upper Class Twit of the Year
EndlesslyRocking

Post by EndlesslyRocking »

by-tor wrote:I want to apply to the Minister of Funny Walks for a grant.
My name's Loretta. I want to have babies....
Life in two dimensions is a mass-production scheme...
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Tonight on It's The Arts we're talking to composer, Arthur "Two Sheds" Jackson...
funky cm

Post by funky cm »

And now...

News for Wombats