Prop 8 Repurcussions

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

Walkinghairball wrote:Ok, I wanna shot at this.

I work for a gay man, you all know this, I have never asked him about the Prop 8 stuff. I have no problem with gay people as long as I don't feel pressured by them, same goes with God fearing folks.

This being said, here I go.

I agree with the consenting adult part of it. I agree with equal rights for all, but I detest special rights. I am not saying that the P8 stuff is a special right. But before women got their equal rights and before blacks got their equal rights there was a long time of (shall we say) hiding in the closet for all. This will most likely take time to become wide spread acceptable as the other issues did. I think the anger from the gay community to get this pushed thru so fast is unrealistic. Others had to wait, I guess the planet just needs to move ahead, but still, in time I think it will.

My sisters friend that lives 2 blocks from me has a girl friend living there with her and her son, he is fully aware of what is going on there, and seems well adjusted to his life. I don't know if he catches flak for it, I have never asked. Now they aren't the "Man hatin" kind, infact they are really neat and I would take a bullet for either, but sometimes they get colossal bitchy like they gotta have it now. UGH. So that is what I base my above statement on is from knowing them.

Ok, I'm out of waffles.
I'm out of syrup.
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

YYZ30 wrote:
Walkinghairball wrote:Ok, I wanna shot at this.

I work for a gay man, you all know this, I have never asked him about the Prop 8 stuff. I have no problem with gay people as long as I don't feel pressured by them, same goes with God fearing folks.

This being said, here I go.

I agree with the consenting adult part of it. I agree with equal rights for all, but I detest special rights. I am not saying that the P8 stuff is a special right. But before women got their equal rights and before blacks got their equal rights there was a long time of (shall we say) hiding in the closet for all. This will most likely take time to become wide spread acceptable as the other issues did. I think the anger from the gay community to get this pushed thru so fast is unrealistic. Others had to wait, I guess the planet just needs to move ahead, but still, in time I think it will.

My sisters friend that lives 2 blocks from me has a girl friend living there with her and her son, he is fully aware of what is going on there, and seems well adjusted to his life. I don't know if he catches flak for it, I have never asked. Now they aren't the "Man hatin" kind, infact they are really neat and I would take a bullet for either, but sometimes they get colossal bitchy like they gotta have it now. UGH. So that is what I base my above statement on is from knowing them.

Ok, I'm out of waffles.
I'm out of syrup.

BIATCH!!!! ***kicks Zed in the marbles Hairball style***
Happy 2015!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Once again, you boys get me to laugh! LOL Thanks.

And thanks to all who've participated in this thread-- no flaming, no hatin' of each other, just discussing (and a bit of playin' around to keep it light).

*hugs the lot of you*
Onward and Upward!
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

By-torians rule :headbang:
Happy 2015!
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

Soup4Rush wrote:

BIATCH!!!! ***kicks Zed in the marbles Hairball style***
*pours 5 gallon pail of donut glaze over Soupie's head, and throws him on a red ant hill*
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Hey not cool! :x

You wasted that glaze!
Onward and Upward!
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

uh, no he did not, although I could have done with out the ants.. :-D
Happy 2015!
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Just another thing I have read before in some psych publications, case studies on traditional family units and adolescent behaviour and such. More outwardly effected were males. In areas without strong father figures and single mothers have caused many males to lack discipline without a stern or even adequate male presence around to teach them how they should behave, responsibility and such. Communities with more 'adequate' male figures, who were out and about, active in their community and seen often, would impress more proper behaviour upon younger males.

This of course is a male oriented study, but there have been many studies in how a gender bias while developing can have significant effect on ones mentality. As men and women are nowhere near alike, I believe the you pretty much require a strong presence in your life of both sexes. When homosexual couples start being able to adopt children, I believe this will offset it further, and cause more both confused and untemperred (so to speak) mentalities.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Not wanting things to be too serious about the board....

Onward and Upward!
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

awip2062 wrote:Ya know, I've often seriously wondered, do the men get tired of it, of having to please multiple women
Seriously how can they? That can't be fair to the women, unless they're all bisexual. :lol:
We're all mad here!
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

awip2062 wrote:Okay, you don't see polygamy as harmful. But there are many who tell you it is wonderful and they love it and it harms no one.

I, as a child who was raised in a gay home, do see homosexuality as harmful. I know it sure hurt me.
No, I DO see polygamy as harmful...maybe that was a typo on your part. The ones that thinks its wonderful are brainwashed.

How did being raised in a gay home hurt you? Although I do get it, about having a male role model and a female role model. Don't kids that are raised by gays have role models in the community? I'd rather see gays raise a kid than 2 white trash parents, wife beater alcoholic husband and stupid insecure wife that stays with him and the kids suffer.
We're all mad here!
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Xan, as you believe that polygamy is harmful, why would you stop polygamy from those willingly entering it? What if say 2 people want the same mate so badly they are willing to share / compromise in that matter. Human greed would often expunge such situations but if it is fathomable it has likely occured.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

I can go along with unions (for insurance and death benefit
purposes), but that's it.

Marriage is defined over and over as between a man and woman.

Did you know that 70% of California's Americans-of-African-Descent
doomed the passage of prop 8, yet the angry gay masses only protested
Saddleback Church?

I'd like to see 'em protest in South Central, or in Watts.

That's not gonna happen though.
Don't start none...won't be none.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Xanadu wrote:
No, I DO see polygamy as harmful...maybe that was a typo on your part. The ones that thinks its wonderful are brainwashed.

How did being raised in a gay home hurt you? Although I do get it, about having a male role model and a female role model. Don't kids that are raised by gays have role models in the community? I'd rather see gays raise a kid than 2 white trash parents, wife beater alcoholic husband and stupid insecure wife that stays with him and the kids suffer.
It was Soup who I was responding to as the one who did not see polygamy as harmful, not you, Xan.

How did being raised in a gay home hurt me? I felt emotional pain, wanting a father but not having one. I wanted a man in my family, not another woman. I wanted this from a young age, before I got out into society. My mom used to tell me about how I as a toddler would have fits about wanting a dad in the house.

It hurt, too, when my mom would have a boyfriend and he'd leave. Or she'd get engaged and then break it off. It hurt like hell.

In addition, I have to remind you that the gay relationships have just as much trouble as straight ones. I've seen physical abuse of partners in a gay relationship. I've seen alcoholic and insecure partners staying together and the harm done to the children from that in their relationship in a gay family. See, that white trash family you describe was one of the gay relationships I lived in as a child. I've seen gay relationships that appeared safe as well, but you can't say that the heterosexuals have a corner on sick relationships.
Onward and Upward!
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

Sir Myghin wrote:Xan, as you believe that polygamy is harmful, why would you stop polygamy from those willingly entering it? What if say 2 people want the same mate so badly they are willing to share / compromise in that matter. Human greed would often expunge such situations but if it is fathomable it has likely occured.
Well, you have to consider the damage done to the kids...honestly though I have mixed feelings about polygamy. I mean if that's what they want, I say let them but then what if they are oppressed into it? I dunno about that one.

And its not about they want the same partner...seriously who wants to share a partner? How is that a fulfilling relationship? Basically polygamy is where a man dominates a bunch of women (or vice versa?). I don't see any thing good out treating others that way and I don't know that we should allow it.
We're all mad here!