INDIGESTION 2008...t & Zed approved

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Well well well, voter fraud in New York! And it had nothing to do with Bush either...

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02162008/ne ... _97932.htm
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Me

Post by Me »

Happy presidents day.

I don't think Obama would make a bad president. I actually think he might be able to change things and bring people together, only time will tell. I still won't vote and doubt I will ever either. If we can go after Sadam but still deal with Abdullah, Jintao, Musharraf to name a few. It's what you have, not who you are that detirmins our policys, for the most part. If there was on person running that would get us off the dependency of others and trade only with peaceful country's with good human rights maybe I would then vote, till then no and I doubt things are going to change any time soon.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

ElfDude wrote:Well well well, voter fraud in New York! And it had nothing to do with Bush either...

what - no vast right wing conspiracy? :P
Don't start none...won't be none.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

CygnusX1 wrote:
ElfDude wrote:Well well well, voter fraud in New York! And it had nothing to do with Bush either...

what - no vast right wing conspiracy? :P
Nope, sorry Cyg. It's time for a Democrat to dick us over for a few years. Makes a change. :D
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

And everyone wants change, so this must be a good thing!
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Big Blue Owl wrote:Nope, sorry Cyg. It's time for a Democrat to dick us over for a few years. Makes a change. :D
As long as they don't take my legally-owned-and-safely-used guns or
make me learn Spanish just to buy a soda out of a vending machine...
... it's all good.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

CygnusX1 wrote: or
make me learn Spanish just to buy a soda
*sees the billboards of LA in her mind "Coke lo es!"*
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

awip2062 wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote: or
make me learn Spanish just to buy a soda
*sees the billboards of LA in her mind "Coke lo es!"*
LA would be a opportune location to start "AlienSweep 2008" :twisted:
Me

Post by Me »

I copied and pasted this and will follow up later as to what why etc

HERE on Earth, some of the most complex arrangements of matter in the known universe have come into existence. Life with its incredible diversity and richness developed.

By virtue of our mind, the human species must surely be the culmination of this grand experiment of nature that we call life. As far as we can detect, we are the first organism to have developed the ability to think and reflect upon itself. In this world, ravaged as it is by strife, it is easy to lose sight of the utter magnificence of what we are. The human mind must be nature?s most astonishing creation.

One of the greatest demonstrations of our intellectual brilliance was sending three of our kind, in a machine of our own invention, to the Moon and back.

How far we have come!

But what a state our world is in!

Despite the tremendous successes science has brought us, our plight in terms of human happiness and the Earth?s well-being seems only to be worsening. Better forms of management?such as better laws, better politics and better economics?and better self-management?such as new ways of disciplining, organising, or even transcending our troubled natures?have all failed to end our destructiveness and bring us peace and happiness. The wars in the Middle East, Rwanda, Algeria, the Balkan, Chechnya, East Timor and Afghanistan with their scenes of torture, massacre and environmental destruction, have convinced many that there has been no fundamental change for the better.

As we enter the twenty-first century we are being increasingly confronted with the realisation that our species? underlying problem is psychological. War, overpopulation, environmental degradation, resource depletion, species extinction, drugs, starving millions, crime, family breakdown, epidemic loneliness and depression and even sickness are merely symptoms of a deeper problem: our often destructive, insensitive, egotistical, selfish and aggressive human nature.

Environmental issues dominate our concerns but surely we are focusing on the symptoms not the cause of the problem. The real issue is ourselves, our troubled, upset nature or condition. As an article in Time magazine put it, ?We need to do something about the environmental damage in our heads.? (Time mag. 24 May 1993) The real frontier, challenge and adventure before us now is not outer space, as we tend to believe, but inner space?the human condition no less. As one of the greatest philosophers of our time, Sir Laurens van der Post, has said, ?we need a new kind of explorer, a new kind of pathfinder, human beings who, now that the physical world is spread out before us like an open book?are ready to turn and explore in a new dimension.?
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Michelle Obama yesterday:
What we've learned over this year is that hope is making a comeback. It is making a comeback, and let me tell you something, for the first time in my adult lifetime, I'm really proud of my country, and not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change.
In her whole adult life, this year is the first time she has been proud of her country? Nothing before this year was worth being proud about? Not winning the Cold War? Not the fact that we feed and defend the world, not that we lead in science and technology research? Not the fact that she and her husband were able to go to Ivy League schools before embarking on extremely lucrative careers? Not the fact that we help out in disasters wherever they strike in the world? She wasn't proud when the Berlin wall came down or when watching the video of the Iraqi's beating the statue of Saddam with their shoes as it toppled? Not even the way we came together after 9/11?

This is definitely not the woman I want for first lady.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

ElfDude wrote:This is definitely not the woman I want for first lady.
I'm tellin' ya.....McCain's the man, whether you like him
or not.

I DO like the fact that he's a military man with leadership
qualities that SLAM DUNK the competition, but I'm not
impressed with his flip-flops on important issues.

But hey, the others didn't spend seven years in a POW camp either.

He's an American hero, and he's getting scads of the
military/civil service vote. Bank on it.

I'm still voting for Paul. :-D (and you thought I was stumping for McCain...) :P
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Spin alert! Spin alert!
BROOKFIELD, Wis. (AP) - Democratic Sen. Barack Obama sought Tuesday to clarify his wife's statement that she is proud of the U.S. "for the first time in my adult life." He said her newfound pride is about the political system and was not meant to disparage her country.

He commented after Cindy McCain, wife of Republican presidential candidate John McCain, made a veiled reference to Michelle Obama's recent remarks.

Cindy McCain told a Wisconsin rally on Tuesday: "I'm proud of my country, I don't know about you, if you heard those words earlier."

Barack Obama, interviewed on WOAI radio in San Antonio, Texas, expressed frustration that his wife's comments became political fodder.

"Statements like this are made and people try to take it out of context and make a great big deal out of it, and that isn't at all what she meant," Obama said.

"What she meant was, this is the first time that she's been proud of the politics of America," he said. "Because she's pretty cynical about the political process, and with good reason, and she's not alone. But she has seen large numbers of people get involved in the process, and she's encouraged."

In Milwaukee on Monday, Michelle Obama said: "Let me tell you, for the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country. Not just because Barack is doing well, but I think people are hungry for change."

Cindy McCain asserted, "I have, and always will be, proud of my country," and repeated the sentiment later in Columbus, Ohio.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Now the New York Times is alleging that McCain had an affair with this lobbyist. If it's true, it sure goes to show that he has better taste in women than Bill Clinton...

Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

^^^
TRUE DAT!!!

But let's be fair. How many millions (or billions?) do we spend to dig in and find the truth?

(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Many? :-D