Today's Headlines

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

schuette wrote:
and I cant believe that's Eddie Van Halen....he was gorgeous!
And I thought I was aging badly...
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Well, cancer and his lifestyle...

Sad, though. He could still be gorgeous. Could.
Onward and Upward!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

SAN DIEGO -- Officials at the Grossmont Union High School District have sent letters home to parents, notifying them that a number of students have been caught on campus with medical marijuana cards.

District official Catherine Martin said they are concerned over the growing trend and the "apparent ease" with which teens are able to obtain the cards.

In the letters, parents, students and faculty are reminded that even if the cards are valid, it is against the law to have marijuana on school property.

Recently two East County teenagers were suspended for showing up at school high, with a medical marijuana card as their excuse, NBC 7/39 reported.

During a series of recent undercover sting operations, district attorney investigators identified four or five local doctors who are issuing cards or prescriptions without proper exams or follow up medical care.

Mission Valley is one location where officials said illegal drug trafficking has taken place.

San Diego District Attorney Narcotic Chief Damon Mosler told NBC 7/39 a bogus symptom and some cash is all a teenager needs to obtain a medical marijuana card.

Steven Luke, KNSD-TV, San Diego, California
This isn't going to help the people who want to broaden medical marijuana laws or get medical marijuana laws in other states or legalize it.
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A federal appeals court overturned the District of Columbia's long- standing handgun ban Friday, rejecting the city's argument that the Second Amendment right to bear arms applied only to militias.
In a 2-1 decision, the judges held that the activities protected by the Second Amendment "are not limited to militia service, nor is an individual's enjoyment of the right contingent upon his or her continued intermittent enrollment in the militia."

If the dispute makes it to the high court, it would be the first case in nearly 70 years to address the Second Amendment's scope.
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

Locked and loaded, baby! All ready to deal with the out of control dopers! LOL
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

You're gonna shoot people? :shock: *Hides weed stash and uses Visine*

Brad Delp Dies

ATKINSON, N.H. (AP) ? Brad Delp, the lead singer for Boston, a huge rock sensation in the 1970s, was found dead Friday in his home, police said. He was 55.

Atkinson police responded to a call for help at 1:20 p.m. and found Delp dead. Police Lt. William Baldwin said in a statement the death was "untimely" and that there was no indication of foul play.

Delp apparently was alone at the time of his death, Baldwin said.

The cause of his death remained under investigation by the Atkinson police and the New Hampshire Medical Examiner's office. Police said an incident report would not be available until Monday.
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

Tis indeed a sad day for true rock efficionatos (sp?). Aside from Aerosmith and Zepplin (yes, I mentioned smith first), I cut my smashy bashy teeth on Boston. Couldn't get enough of their hard driving melodies (mery melodies indeed)!

*has a moment of silence for one of the most underrated frontmen of all time*
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Sadness is more than a feeling.
This space for rent
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Another day, another headline (or two):

Poll: 58 percent want Iraq withdrawal by 2008 or sooner
Nearly six in 10 Americans want to see U.S. troops leave Iraq either immediately or within a year, and more would rather have Congress running U.S. policy in the conflict than President Bush, according to a CNN poll out Tuesday.

Though support for Bush's decision to dispatch additional troops to Iraq grew to 37 percent -- up from 32 percent in a mid-January poll -- a slim majority of 52 percent say Congress should block funding for the new deployment.

The CNN poll was conducted Friday through Sunday by Opinion Research Corp. Pollsters interviewed 1,027 adults for the survey, which had a sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Bush announced in January that he was deploying another 21,500 U.S. troops to Iraq to crack down on the country's sectarian warfare and the Sunni Arab insurgency in the country's west.

The White House approved the deployment of another 4,400 support troops over the weekend, largely to handle an expected increase in the number of Iraqi prisoners.

The decision remains unpopular, according to the latest poll, but opposition has declined since Bush announced it. This week's survey found that 59 percent opposed the president's plan, down from 66 percent in a January 11 poll, and support for it had grown from 32 percent to 37 percent.

Tuesday's poll found most Americans support a withdrawal from Iraq, with 21 percent wanting an immediate pullout and 37 percent saying troops should be home within a year. Another 39 percent said the troops should stay in Iraq as long as needed.

They were more closely divided on the issue of funding the president's so-called "New Way Forward," with 52 percent saying Congress should block funds for additional troops and 43 percent opposing such a move.

The Democratic leadership in Congress has opposed the deployment, with the support of a handful of Bush's fellow Republicans. But efforts to use congressional control over spending to rein in the president have split the Democrats, particularly in the House of Representatives.

Democratic leaders plan to add a demand for withdrawal by fall 2008 -- or by the end of this year, if Bush is unable to show that the Iraqi government is meeting benchmarks for political progress -- to the president's emergency request for an additional $100 billion in war spending.

In a speech Monday to the American Israeli Public Affairs Committee, Vice President Dick Cheney said even discussing withdrawal tells "the enemy to watch the clock and wait us out." (Full story)

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-California, shot back that Cheney and Bush are advocating an "open-ended commitment" of U.S. troops against the advice of military leaders.

The White House and congressional Republicans have warned Democratic leaders against plans that would "micromanage" U.S. commanders in Iraq.

But the latest survey finds Americans more receptive to having Congress take the lead, with 47 percent saying the lawmakers should be "primarily responsible" for setting war policy. Thirty-three percent said the president should be primarily responsible for setting the country's course.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Then it's a good thing that the "surge" appears to be working. :)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01839.html
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Frighteningly, when they do get home, 1/3 of them will be mentally ill in some way.

Study: Thousands of veterans return with mental illness

Nearly a third of veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan who received care from Veterans Affairs between 2001 and 2005 were diagnosed with mental health or psychosocial ills, a new study concludes.

The study was published in the March 12 issue of Archives of Internal Medicine and carried out by researchers at the University of California, San Francisco and the San Francisco VA Medical Center.

They looked at data from 103,788 veterans; about 13 percent of them women, 54 percent under age 30, nearly a third minorities and nearly half veterans of the National Guard or Reserves.

Of the total, 32,010 (31 percent) were diagnosed with mental health and/or psychosocial problems, including 25,658 who received mental health diagnoses. More than half (56 percent) were diagnosed with two or more disorders. (Watch how the wars are blamed for an "epidemic" of mental disorders Video)

Post-traumatic stress disorder was the most common disorder, with the 13,205 veterans who got the diagnosis accounting for more than half (52 percent) of mental health diagnoses.

Post-traumatic stress disorder, an anxiety disorder that can occur after the experience or witnessing of a traumatic event, can lead to depression, substance abuse, problems of memory and cognition, and other problems of physical and mental health.

Others included anxiety disorder (24 percent), adjustment disorder (24 percent), depression (20 percent) and substance abuse disorder (20 percent).

Of all veterans of Iraq or Afghanistan who sought VA services, post-traumatic stress disorder affected 13 percent, the study said.

That's slightly less than the 15.2 percent tallied for veterans of the Vietnam War, but far above the 3.5 percent reported in the general population.

Differences between genders and races were "minimal," the study said.

But the youngest group studied -- veterans 18-24 years of age -- appeared to be at greatest risk.

"Our results signal a need for improvements in the primary prevention of military service-related mental health disorders, particularly among our youngest service members," the authors wrote.

Still, youth may have had nothing to do with it, the authors acknowledged, noting that active-duty military are typically among the youngest military.

And, "because they are young, they are more likely to be of lower rank and more likely to have greater combat exposure than their older active-duty counterparts," the authors wrote.

In addition, the study's conclusions may not apply generally to all veterans of the wars, since the study included only those veterans who got VA care.

The authors warned, "Our results may overestimate the burden of mental health disorders because veterans with mental health disorders may be more likely to seek treatment at a VA facility than those without."

The findings did not surprise former Sen. Max Cleland, a veteran who was grievously wounded during the Vietnam War and suffered depression.

"This is the price of war," the Democrat from Georgia said. "You can't send young Americans to Iraq and Afghanistan ... and expect them to come home and just fit right in. They bring that trauma with them."

He added, "If you don't intervene with the emotional aftermath of the war up-front and early, it can slide down a precipitous path to hell."
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Big Blue Owl wrote:Frighteningly, when they do get home, 1/3 of them will be mentally ill in some way.
Yeah, I heard about that. :(

Of course, there was that story a couple of years ago that claimed 1/4 of all Americans are mentally ill, so I take it all with a grain of salt.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

POLL: 100 out of 400 grains of salt confirmed to be cocaine

I had a piece of pastrami and I haven't been able to shut up or stop moving since :)
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Big Blue Owl wrote:POLL: 100 out of 400 grains of salt confirmed to be cocaine

I had a piece of pastrami and I haven't been able to shut up or stop moving since :)
LOL!!!

How you doing, my big blue buddy?
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Can't complain...almost time for lunch here and I can go out and crank the new Rush tune for a bit. Takes the edge off.

How're things your end, oh Elven Emissary of Eclecticism?