New Discworld Book (Slaine' and Ogg's Literary Coloumn)

Day to day life of the Rush fans

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Slaine mac Roth

New Discworld Book (Slaine' and Ogg's Literary Coloumn)

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

Here's the cover to Going Postal, Terry Pratchett's new novel which is out next month.

'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
EndlesslyRocking

Post by EndlesslyRocking »

Is that Ogg?

:shock:

:-D
Life in two dimensions is a mass-production scheme...
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

You cant post Discworld stuff here! That's my job!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Wow... I haven't thought about Discworld in a very long time. I remember reading Mort ages ago, and I never followed up after that. It was a pretty fun read. :)
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

The Great Ogg wrote:You cant post Discworld stuff here! That's my job!
Now, I quickly typed this at 4 10am this very morning (before work) and suprised even myself with my quick wit and play on words :-) .
One look at my profile and past topics relating to Discworld should tell you who exactly is the Discworld Afficianado here, Thankyou very much Slaine' :x :-) . Damn, even my 'Ogg' pseudonym is derived from the books. Can I add a little icing? I met the man last year and informed him that my online name is 'Ridcully Ogg', not only did he sign the book 'To Darren aka Ridcully Ogg...' but he granted permission to use it :-D . I may even scan the page as proof :-) .
Back to the wit "You cant post Discworld stuff here! That's my job!" I earlier declared. Did you spot the deliberate pun (pun= play on words)? The title is 'Going Postal' and yes I am a postman. Laugh? I nearly started.

Last edited by Ogg on Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

EndlesslyRocking wrote:Is that Ogg?

:shock:

:-D
Yes, the winged helmeted messanger on the cover certainly bares a resemblance :-) .
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Apologies for the triple post but I simply had to add this update.
My beautiful wife has just arrived home from College with a present for me :-) , Image :-) :-) :-) . Ged bless you Ottakers Book Chain.
Slaine mac Roth

I've also met the great man himself on two occasions. Hopefully num,ber three will be a week on Saturday when he does a signing at WH Smith's in Nottingham.

For a full list of his current itinery, got to The Shades
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Damn, no visit to Truro this time :( . Slaine' I use http://www.discworldmonthly.co.uk/index.php .

ps: page 102 already :-) .
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Why 'pm' each other Slaine' when we have our own literary thread :-) .
I managed to make 'Going Postal' last for three nights, reading in bursts so as not to spoil the effect of the annual Discworld novel. I'm rereading it as is the norm and must say that it's thoroughly enjoyable mate. Not as dark as the previous 'Night Watch' and 'Monstrous Regiment' but better for it. The added attraction of the 'Postal' theme and my understanding of the in-jokes didnt contribute to my enjoyment though. I heartily recommend the purchase.
Slaine mac Roth

I haven't got it yet. Money permitting, I'll be getting it on Saturday when I go to the Nottingham signing :-D :-D :twisted: (sorry to rub it in). Its strange to think that, about three years ago, I read an interview where TP said he was going to take a break from the Discworld for a few years.
Slaine mac Roth

Finally finished Going Postal last night (took me two days which is about average for a Discworld - can't put the buggers down) and really enjoyed it.

It follows the usual trend for me in which its not 'laugh out loud' funny but raises more chuckles and smiles. The main thing is that, in my opinion, Terry has become a better writer and his books read more like novels that a connected series of comedy sketches.

Now, if only he's write a book about how Lord Vetinari became the Patrician - I think that would be pretty good.