drum track of the day!!!

All about Neil

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

User avatar
Walkinghairball
Posts: 25037
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:02 pm

Yes, I have, dabbled with it. Also with 2112/Temple, and La Villa.

Usually as a warmerupper at rehearsal, while dickkin around.
Never played any of it live.
This space for rent

User avatar
3 travelers
Posts: 2271
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:43 pm
Location: brooklyn, ny

Post by 3 travelers » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:41 am

My band used to do YYZ, Subdivisions, Analog Kid, Working Man, Limelight, & Spirit of Radio..... I miss those times.
LEMME SHOW YA SUMTHIN....!!!!

User avatar
3 travelers
Posts: 2271
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:43 pm
Location: brooklyn, ny

Post by 3 travelers » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:19 am

Neil Track of the Day is........

Between Sun and Moon......

Killer tune!!
LEMME SHOW YA SUMTHIN....!!!!

dsquare
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:48 am

Drum track of the day: Subdivision

Post by dsquare » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:16 am

My favourite drum track: Subdivisions.
I have to admit the first time I heard Subdivisions I thought Neil was
overplaying in the song, but now everytime I listen to it I always shake my head in amazment. If you check all the Rush tribute bands on the web none of them can get the drum track for this song right.

User avatar
3 travelers
Posts: 2271
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:43 pm
Location: brooklyn, ny

Re: Drum track of the day: Subdivision

Post by 3 travelers » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:10 pm

dsquare wrote:My favourite drum track: Subdivisions.
I have to admit the first time I heard Subdivisions I thought Neil was
overplaying in the song, but now everytime I listen to it I always shake my head in amazment. If you check all the Rush tribute bands on the web none of them can get the drum track for this song right.
Welcome to the fray d.... you'll fuckin love it here! :cool:

Can I ask where you thought Neil was overplaying, I'm just curious.
LEMME SHOW YA SUMTHIN....!!!!

dsquare
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:48 am

Hey 3 Travellers.

Post by dsquare » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:41 pm

Hi there "3 Travellers",

Nice of you to repsond to my post, I thought nobody would do that.

As I said, firts time I heard Subdivisions I thought Neil's playing was great but may be he was overplaying abit for the good of the song, those parts where Geddy starts to sing with Neil odd time accents and syncopations, before and after the chorus. Yes I am a drummer and I remember one of my drum mentors said to be creative but also to keep it cohesive and not to ruin the structure of the song. But that was then, now Subdivisions is one of those songs that I never get bore listening to because of the great drum track by Neil.
Another song that really impress me is Xanadu. To me Subdivisions showcases Neil's techniques, but Xanadu shows his musical talents. My guitar friend said that Eddy Van Halen is a technical genius, but he is really impress by Carlos Santana in term of musical melodies.

User avatar
3 travelers
Posts: 2271
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:43 pm
Location: brooklyn, ny

Re: Hey 3 Travellers.

Post by 3 travelers » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:35 pm

dsquare wrote:Hi there "3 Travellers",

Nice of you to repsond to my post, I thought nobody would do that.

As I said, firts time I heard Subdivisions I thought Neil's playing was great but may be he was overplaying abit for the good of the song, those parts where Geddy starts to sing with Neil odd time accents and syncopations, before and after the chorus. Yes I am a drummer and I remember one of my drum mentors said to be creative but also to keep it cohesive and not to ruin the structure of the song. But that was then, now Subdivisions is one of those songs that I never get bore listening to because of the great drum track by Neil.
Another song that really impress me is Xanadu. To me Subdivisions showcases Neil's techniques, but Xanadu shows his musical talents. My guitar friend said that Eddy Van Halen is a technical genius, but he is really impress by Carlos Santana in term of musical melodies.
That's a good assessment, d.... how long have you been playing? I'm a drummer as well (as you can prolly see from my little piccy in the corner). I've been playing for almost 20 years.
LEMME SHOW YA SUMTHIN....!!!!

dsquare
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:48 am

Re: Hey 3 Travellers.

Post by dsquare » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:15 am

3 travelers wrote:
dsquare wrote:Hi there "3 Travellers",

Nice of you to repsond to my post, I thought nobody would do that.

As I said, firts time I heard Subdivisions I thought Neil's playing was great but may be he was overplaying abit for the good of the song, those parts where Geddy starts to sing with Neil odd time accents and syncopations, before and after the chorus. Yes I am a drummer and I remember one of my drum mentors said to be creative but also to keep it cohesive and not to ruin the structure of the song. But that was then, now Subdivisions is one of those songs that I never get bore listening to because of the great drum track by Neil.
Another song that really impress me is Xanadu. To me Subdivisions showcases Neil's techniques, but Xanadu shows his musical talents. My guitar friend said that Eddy Van Halen is a technical genius, but he is really impress by Carlos Santana in term of musical melodies.
That's a good assessment, d.... how long have you been playing? I'm a drummer as well (as you can prolly see from my little piccy in the corner). I've been playing for almost 20 years.

dsquare
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:48 am

Re: Hey 3 Travellers.

Post by dsquare » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:15 am

3 travelers wrote:
dsquare wrote:Hi there "3 Travellers",
That's a good assessment, d.... how long have you been playing? I'm a drummer as well (as you can prolly see from my little piccy in the corner). I've been playing for almost 20 years.
Hey 3 Travellers,

Forget my previous message, I make a mistake trying to quote you.
I have been playing drums since my teenage years in high school in the early 80's. We played cover songs from all types of musics from The Eagle, Santana, Deep Purple to Pet Shop Boys and Duran Duran, and later Guns and Roses and of course Rush. My first kit was a 5-piece Pearl Export plus Simon electronic pads and head. My keyboard-playing friend use to joke that my snare drum sounded like a two-stroke motor backfired. The first time I saw the video Distant Early Warning I thought these guys are technical geniouses, especially Peart with his gigantic red Tama kit plus electronic pads, and Geddy constantly switching from bass to keyboard while singing. After listenning to all their popular songs I also thought Alex was one of the most under rated guitarists in rock, Geddy also said so. And of course now l listen exclusively to Rush, and abit of Pink Floyd. I stop listening to radio, instead each day I put on different Rush album and listen from beginning to end, I never skip a track on a Rush disc because of Pearl's drumming, well may be Dog Year. It's nice for them to celebrate their 30th year together last year.

By the way have you and your band try to play Driven, in the chorus where Neil playing accents on the ride cymbal I am having a real difficult time duplicating his chops. I think he played eighth notes but with accents alternating between the up beats and down beats on the ride, with no similar pattern, I still shake my head in amazement every time I listen to this section. So now I just play straight eights when I play this song.

User avatar
3 travelers
Posts: 2271
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:43 pm
Location: brooklyn, ny

Re: Hey 3 Travellers.

Post by 3 travelers » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:18 am

dsquare wrote:
3 travelers wrote:
dsquare wrote:Hi there "3 Travellers",
That's a good assessment, d.... how long have you been playing? I'm a drummer as well (as you can prolly see from my little piccy in the corner). I've been playing for almost 20 years.
Hey 3 Travellers,

Forget my previous message, I make a mistake trying to quote you.
I have been playing drums since my teenage years in high school in the early 80's. We played cover songs from all types of musics from The Eagle, Santana, Deep Purple to Pet Shop Boys and Duran Duran, and later Guns and Roses and of course Rush. My first kit was a 5-piece Pearl Export plus Simon electronic pads and head. My keyboard-playing friend use to joke that my snare drum sounded like a two-stroke motor backfired. The first time I saw the video Distant Early Warning I thought these guys are technical geniouses, especially Peart with his gigantic red Tama kit plus electronic pads, and Geddy constantly switching from bass to keyboard while singing. After listenning to all their popular songs I also thought Alex was one of the most under rated guitarists in rock, Geddy also said so. And of course now l listen exclusively to Rush, and abit of Pink Floyd. I stop listening to radio, instead each day I put on different Rush album and listen from beginning to end, I never skip a track on a Rush disc because of Pearl's drumming, well may be Dog Year. It's nice for them to celebrate their 30th year together last year.

By the way have you and your band try to play Driven, in the chorus where Neil playing accents on the ride cymbal I am having a real difficult time duplicating his chops. I think he played eighth notes but with accents alternating between the up beats and down beats on the ride, with no similar pattern, I still shake my head in amazement every time I listen to this section. So now I just play straight eights when I play this song.
Unfortunately, my band doesn't do any Rush tunes at this point. We would incorporate a few during our set-list just to fuck w/ people because we are a Black Sabbath tribute. We'd usually do YYZ. As far as the chorus in Driven.... he's definitely playing eighths on the ride. But I'm wondering if you are actually talking about what Neil's doing during Ged's bass break.
LEMME SHOW YA SUMTHIN....!!!!

User avatar
Walkinghairball
Posts: 25037
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:11 pm

Hey dsquare................ Welcome.

Like 3T, I also am a drummer (70- now classic rock cover band), 38 in September. My only advise is to check out A Work in Progress. Man that will square you away on all the chops for the Test for Echo disc. Give it a rip bub, lemme know if it helps.
This space for rent

User avatar
Walkinghairball
Posts: 25037
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:59 pm

Drum track of the day........................... Freewill.
This space for rent

User avatar
3 travelers
Posts: 2271
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:43 pm
Location: brooklyn, ny

Post by 3 travelers » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:32 pm

Walkinghairball wrote:Hey dsquare................ Welcome.

Like 3T, I also am a drummer (70- now classic rock cover band), 38 in September. My only advise is to check out A Work in Progress. Man that will square you away on all the chops for the Test for Echo disc. Give it a rip bub, lemme know if it helps.
Definitely go w/ Hairy's advice... dat brudda knows what he speaks!!
LEMME SHOW YA SUMTHIN....!!!!

User avatar
3 travelers
Posts: 2271
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:43 pm
Location: brooklyn, ny

Post by 3 travelers » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:34 pm

Walkinghairball wrote:Drum track of the day........................... Freewill.
See there... and you pick classics!!!

Good stuff, my brudda!
LEMME SHOW YA SUMTHIN....!!!!

User avatar
Walkinghairball
Posts: 25037
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:16 pm

Natural Science............................ Today's drum track. :cool:
This space for rent

Post Reply