Good Omens

Day to day life of the Rush fans

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Slaine mac Roth

Good Omens

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

from SFX

Terry Gilliam talks Good Omens again
The Brothers Grimm director hasn?t given up on one of his planned projects ? bringing Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman?s apocalyptic comedy Good Omens to the screen?

[29 Jun 2006 1:13pm]
Terry Gilliam is a frustrated man. And who can blame him? He?s seen dream projects like The Defective Detective and The Man Who Killed Don Quixote wither on the development vine or stumble into production only to be cursed with bad weather worse luck.

His latest two films ? The Brothers Grimm and Tideland ? were greeted with low box-office and mixed reviews. But it hasn?t stopped him clinging on to the idea that he?ll get one of the movies he?s pushing to make off the storyboard and on to screens.

Good Omens, the comic take on an Omen-style anti-Christ and a war between heaven and hell has long been a passion of Gilliam, who has been trying to film Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett?s book for years.

"I have struggled to find big projects that inspire me, but this book has,? he told Teletext. It's very funny, about the anti-Christ and devils and angels, it's very funny and inspiring. I have tried to find a small project like Tideland that I could do but I haven't found one."

He was also outspoken about the fact that it?s not just making films that?s annoying Gilliam right now ? it?s cinema in general. "I find it so dispiriting these days, maybe because I'm getting older. Films don't seem to surprise me any more, they don't leave pieces of shrapnel in me like they used to. The last one to do that was probably Crash, which kept playing with my prejudices."

Still, maybe if Stardust ? based on Gaiman?s graphic novel is a success, Gilliam might get the break he needs.

[/url]
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
schuette

Post by schuette »

I for one thought that the Brother's Grimm was brilliant...infact I've liked all of Gilliam's stuff that I've seen so far
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

This excellent book by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman is a must read for anyone with the slightest sense of humour, just so funny. I implore anyone to try it. I received the new edition for fathers day and recently reread it.
I do hope the movie is actually completed having read of various Pratchett projects that never see completion. Isnt there supposed to be an adaption of 'Hogfather' being filmed in time for xmas tv? Part action/part cgi. I'd love to see more of the animated side, I thought the adaptions of 'Soul Music' and 'Wyrd Sisters' were good.

ps: sorry to be so pedantic Slaine' but isnt this a contender for the 'pop culture' thread? :-)
schuette wrote:I for one thought that the Brother's Grimm was brilliant...infact I've liked all of Gilliam's stuff that I've seen so far
Yes, I thought 'The Brothers Grimm' was very good Schu'.
rushlight

Post by rushlight »

I thought Brothers Grimm was more Monty Python type. It was silly and what's with the toad licking?
I loved The Sandman books Gaiman created and I saw the disaster that was the Constantine movie. If he gets to direct, please don't screw it up!
I love my Welshman.
schuette

Post by schuette »

I loved Constantine!!
rushlight

Post by rushlight »

Sorry Schu. Constantine the movie was nothing like the graphic novel. The guy is supposed to be more british and blond haired. The demons were scary yeah and he makes a few trips to hell to look for the dead sister. What's with the cat staring? They didn't go into much about what he did that will cause his soul to burn in hell. :? I'd hate to see other Gaiman stories get twisted around until it's not the same. Look at what happened with War of the Worlds.
I love my Welshman.
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

Ogg wrote:ps: sorry to be so pedantic Slaine' but isnt this a contender for the 'pop culture' thread? :-)
But we don't want the great Mr P to get lost among the rabble, do we?
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Slaine mac Roth wrote:
Ogg wrote:ps: sorry to be so pedantic Slaine' but isnt this a contender for the 'pop culture' thread? :-)
But we don't want the great Mr P to get lost among the rabble, do we?
You are correct kind sir, post as you like.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I need to see Brothers Grimm still...
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
schuette

Post by schuette »

light...I've watched too many films based on books now and I dont think I have saw one yet where I've thought that was as good as the book and they didnt miss anything out or add anything......I now watch a film and try not to think of the book too much......that way I enjoy the film a lot lot more