GUN CONTROL

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Post Reply
User avatar
Walkinghairball
Posts: 25037
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:07 am

I don't need a gun to go for a walk in the woods, I would just take it.

Not for just mindless plinking or slaughtering Bambi, but for the "oh shit, a Bear" or "OMG a Cougar!!!!!"...........heh heh, (I'd take mah other gun for that..*wink wink*)


Plus, alot of hippies grow weed outside overhere, and they got guns too.
This space for rent

User avatar
Big Blue Owl
Posts: 7457
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Somewhere between the darkness and the light

Post by Big Blue Owl » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:15 am

I guess it's a regional thing. Here the parks are sprawling miles of woods with bike and/or walking paths. No bears or cougars. A gun would be totally out of place, not to mention would get in the way of a brisk 3 mile power walk (a nightly occurrence for me when weather permits) I don't want 2 pounds of steel pounding against me wedding tackle. :-D
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))

User avatar
Walkinghairball
Posts: 25037
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:55 am

Big Blue Owl wrote:I guess it's a regional thing. Here the parks are sprawling miles of woods with bike and/or walking paths. No bears or cougars. A gun would be totally out of place, not to mention would get in the way of a brisk 3 mile power walk (a nightly occurrence for me when weather permits) I don't want 2 pounds of steel pounding against me wedding tackle. :-D

No I hear you there. It would really depend on the region. Trust me here folks, I'm not a gun toting freak hell bent to shoot, but like the Scout motto says...."Be Prepaired."
This space for rent

User avatar
schuette
Posts: 17945
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:45 am
Location: Grangemouth, Scotland

Post by schuette » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:31 am

this is where im so glad i live in scotland...no poisonous beasties and nothing that will maul me...apart from humans that is :lol:
Image
Image
Image

CygnusX1
Posts: 17310
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: We don't call 911 here.

Post by CygnusX1 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:51 am

Big Blue Owl wrote: Do we all really want to create/maintain or re-animate the culture that needs to be armed to go for a walk in the woods?
Yes, yes we do. It's called tradition. It's passed down from generation to
generation, and sorry to burst anyones' bubble, but it's not going away
anytime soon, no matter how hard the anti's try.

My grandpaw and dad took us boys out and taught us to shoot and hunt,
bought us our first firearms, passed our elders' firearms down to us, etc.

We turned out fine, and to the best of my knowledge, we haven't killed
anyone yet.

We took our rifles to school when we were in the rifle club.

Take a rifle to school today, and you'll break news alerts on TV...not to
mention be suspended from school for life.

What happened? Did we secretly merge with Russia or something?

WTF....?
Don't start none...won't be none.

User avatar
Walkinghairball
Posts: 25037
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:58 am

What happened? Did we secretly merge with Russia or something?
Only because wack job kids with lazy parents let their kids have guns or did nothing to keep them away from them and then Columbine...ect.


It all falls on responsibility. And too much GVT.

I need to have my MIL resend me a vid for you all to see on this topic. Well, mostly assault style weapons, but still it fits.


No gore, just a greiving daughters story.
This space for rent

User avatar
Big Blue Owl
Posts: 7457
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Somewhere between the darkness and the light

Post by Big Blue Owl » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:16 am

CygnusX1 wrote:
Big Blue Owl wrote: Do we all really want to create/maintain or re-animate the culture that needs to be armed to go for a walk in the woods?
Yes, yes we do. It's called tradition. It's passed down from generation to
generation, and sorry to burst anyones' bubble, but it's not going away
anytime soon, no matter how hard the anti's try.

My grandpaw and dad took us boys out and taught us to shoot and hunt,
bought us our first firearms, passed our elders' firearms down to us, etc.

We turned out fine, and to the best of my knowledge, we haven't killed
anyone yet.

We took our rifles to school when we were in the rifle club.

Take a rifle to school today, and you'll break news alerts on TV...not to
mention be suspended from school for life.

What happened? Did we secretly merge with Russia or something?

WTF....?
That is a sweet, all-American story Cyg, but it's not for everyone. That 11 year-old kid who shot his step mother to death 1 week before delivering her baby, for example. So yeah, have all of the guns you want. Hell, make sculptures of them in the yard if it makes ya happy, but there are so many mental cases and idiots out there these days that something has to be done to ensure that the nutbags find it difficult to shoot me in the face because I'm walking too quickly on a wooded trail.
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))

CygnusX1
Posts: 17310
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: We don't call 911 here.

Post by CygnusX1 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:00 am

Big Blue Owl wrote:there are so many mental cases and idiots out there these days that something has to be done to ensure that the nutbags find it difficult to shoot me in the face because I'm walking too quickly on a wooded trail.
Agreed. However, you could meet just as similar a demise by flipping
someone off on the Interstate during rush hour.

Bottom Line: I'm on the side of responsible, law-abiding ownership in the
firearms debate.

They can pry my weapon from my stiff, dead fingers.
Don't start none...won't be none.

User avatar
Big Blue Owl
Posts: 7457
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Somewhere between the darkness and the light

Post by Big Blue Owl » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:07 am

To be honest, I already knew what your response would be. I should clam up at times like that. I know nothing I could say would change a gun lover's mind. Nothing short of a personal tragedy could move that mountain. :-)
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))

CygnusX1
Posts: 17310
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: We don't call 911 here.

Post by CygnusX1 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:17 am

I understand and respect your position Owlie.

We're just from two different upbringings.

People ask me all the time: Dude, how can you hunt down and kill
animals, then eat them?

I tell them: "Because one day, we might HAVE TO."

A country boy can survive.
Don't start none...won't be none.

User avatar
schuette
Posts: 17945
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:45 am
Location: Grangemouth, Scotland

Post by schuette » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:24 am

CygnusX1 wrote:
People ask me all the time: Dude, how can you hunt down and kill
animals, then eat them?
thats the only reason to hunt...as long as you eat what you kill
Image
Image
Image

CygnusX1
Posts: 17310
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: We don't call 911 here.

Post by CygnusX1 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:28 am

schuette wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:
People ask me all the time: Dude, how can you hunt down and kill
animals, then eat them?
thats the only reason to hunt...as long as you eat what you kill
Yup. Take what you need and leave the rest.

Remember: Deer Hearts? :shock: :oops: :lol:
Last edited by CygnusX1 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't start none...won't be none.

User avatar
Big Blue Owl
Posts: 7457
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Somewhere between the darkness and the light

Post by Big Blue Owl » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:30 am

CygnusX1 wrote:
Remember: Deer Hearts
Aw, that's sweet, sweety. :lol:
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))

CygnusX1
Posts: 17310
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: We don't call 911 here.

Post by CygnusX1 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:20 am

For those who conveniently choose to ignore it....Here it is again:

The U.S. Second Amendment Refresher Course


1. An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

2. A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

3. Colt: The original point and click interface.

4. Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.

5. If guns are outlawed, can we use swords and IEDs?

6. If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.

7. Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

8. If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.

9. Those who trade liberty for security - have neither.

10. The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved.

11. What part of "shall not be infringed" do you NOT understand?

12. The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others.

13. 64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

14. Guns have only two enemies; rust and politicians.

15. Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

16. You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

17. 911: Government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer.

18. Assault is a behavior, not a device.

19. Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.

20. If guns cause crime, then Bic lighters cause arson.

21. Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them.

22. You have only the rights you are willing to fight for.

23. Enforce the gun control laws we ALREADY have; don't make more.

24. When you remove the people's right to bear arms, you create slaves.

25. The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.

And, lastly:

26. It is better to be judged by twelve - than carried by six.
Don't start none...won't be none.

User avatar
Xanadu
Posts: 7878
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:26 pm
Location: My vortex.

Post by Xanadu » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:02 am

AMEN! :-D
We're all mad here!

Post Reply