By-torian's original music and recordings

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Looks like my band is on the fold, not finding a singer really did a blow to us, haven't practiced in a month, drummer and I are going to talk to get our gear out, guitarist claims he doesn't have time anymore, I kind of started that as I said I was having trouble justifying the trip and such due to lack of singer, overall I think it will be for the better, before it blows up on us. Sucks as it is a lot of fun to play with them but its just dragging out and will end poorly I think otherwise. Will try to get some of our off the floor records if possible to give a listen of what was.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Bummer. :(
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

That is a real bummer, Myg. Will you look for new people to play with now?
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

awip2062 wrote:That is a real bummer, Myg. Will you look for new people to play with now?
indeed, one of my peers might be getting rid of their bassist as he contributes nothing to their music so they can do without him, they may continue without one unless they can find a certain creatively talented bassist I know.
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

What do you guys use to record/track and such..

I have a powerful computer (see 4gb ram, a radeon 4870, intel q6600 (quad 2.4 ghz cores and half a terabyte of hardrive) But I am torn between getting an interface (firewire over USB as I also built it with that in mind) or a nice studio box.

The studio box I was looking at was a BR-900 CD by roland. The advantage is I am familiar with it from my older low memory highly limitted 4 track model. This would costs about 350-600 depending on if it is new or used, shipping, from CA or USA etc.

Then lately I started looking at interfaces again, USB interfaces are alright but firewire ones are loads better. A firewire interface will likely cut about 300 for a small one (don't need a whole lot of ins and outs). Then it comes to recording software, I am a bit familiar with adobe audition (350 US) or sonars cakewalk (100-200 depending what version, or 400 for producer on ebay).

I am looking for an economical solution, but one that will not make me feel limitted. I like my old BR box, and they have the appeal of not being anchored to a computer. You however have more mixing control at your fingertips on a computer, well not really but it is much easier to access.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

BBO uses REAL gear. :)

Though a bit outdated, I still use my Yamaha MD4S digital four-track. I love it because the mixer section actually uses knobs and faders, instead of making me wade around in menus. Super easy!

And I see the last one to sell on eBay went for under $100! :shock:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-MD4S-Digital ... 0373939890
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Forgot to mention the drum thing, software would cost more, the studio box has it, with programmable custom beats. Sonar also has its own midi drums but they are a PITA.

Nice elf, my only concern would be 4 tracks, a bit limitting, might involve some bouncing around and I want to make this as assing around free as possible, as I tend not to like the work part but really want to get back into this.

Money won't be the issue this summer as that is the prime project so I am allocating some income to it. (and probably one of those line 6 spider amps, could be just what I need to have everything on hand)
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

For recording our jams live we use the excellent Boss Micro, records straight to a memory card, easy transfer to the computer etc etc

Our computer set up for our acoustic and electronice recordings is rather elaborate and I must big that up one day. External sound card and a decent computer and as much software as this pirate can find, literally saving thousands. We use Ableton Live, Absynth, Guitar Rig and numerous plug ins, usually anything to do with Native Instruments software.
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Thanks Ogg, I've waded in the pirate boat a bit before, however I have had too much trouble with the software, or required verification, I am going to go legit for once :P.

I am also doing this alone, track by track, so jams aren't really the necessary recording medium. I would like to sit down and work, or record on a whim, and if at all possible, save having to jump between stations. In order for me to not get frustrated this needs to be as simple as possible.

How is Ableton for ease of use and such.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Sir Myghin wrote:
Money won't be the issue this summer as that is the prime project so I am allocating some income to it.
Okay, then. Put your money where your rack is and do it right.

The HD24. 24 tracks of hard disk recording. That is the removable hard disk in the front. Comes with a space for two for practically unlimited space and time.

And there is your mixer. Have fun! :-)
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

wow I decided to cave in for now and buy a memory card for my old studio, what I thought was SD, was smart media, and I am not paying 30$ for a 128 mb card for sure.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Big Blue Owl wrote:
Sir Myghin wrote:
Money won't be the issue this summer as that is the prime project so I am allocating some income to it.
Okay, then. Put your money where your rack is and do it right.

The HD24. 24 tracks of hard disk recording. That is the removable hard disk in the front. Comes with a space for two for practically unlimited space and time.

And there is your mixer. Have fun! :-)
*drools*

Niiiiiiiiiiiice....
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

indeed, and if they can boith be scored used, quite plausible, new however the recorder is gameover.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

I got the HD24 from a recording studio in Florida. $1500 got it shipped to me within 4 days. The board was a great deal from a music store on ebay.

Other than that it's just a matter of mics, cables and effects. Not that those are anything to sneeze at, but once you've secured the HD24 you're pretty much doing the Snoopy dance. :-)
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Big Blue Owl wrote:I got the HD24 from a recording studio in Florida. $1500 got it shipped to me within 4 days. The board was a great deal from a music store on ebay.

Other than that it's just a matter of mics, cables and effects. Not that those are anything to sneeze at, but once you've secured the HD24 you're pretty much doing the Snoopy dance. :-)
saw one used on ebay for 500 american with a 120gb or two or somesuch, just no bones right now. I have an multi- effects box for guitars, and a EH bass microsynth + MXR M-80 for my bass (not the biggest fan of the effects box but it doesnt need the flexibility/ snootiness I put into my bass playing.)

How does that work, you record tracks to the HD, then level them /eq them through the mixer and feed them back into the HD as a single bounce?

The other downside is it lacks drums wheras most DAWs and studio in a box have something. However, it looks like the simplest mix down portion, all the dials and such.