I, Robot (Minor Spoilers)

Day to day life of the Rush fans

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

EndlesslyRocking

I, Robot (Minor Spoilers)

Post by EndlesslyRocking »

My daughter and I went to see I, Robot today. Have any of you seen this movie?

I must say I was quite surprised. I was not expecting to like it as much as I did. I enjoy "Popcorn" movies to a certain extent, but I thought this was a cut above the usual.

It's quite an intelligent, thoughtful story (of course, considering the source material). The special effects were incredible, especially the chase scene in the tunnel. The robots themselves were very unique, lifelike.

Will Smith is, I think, a bit underrated as an actor (anyone see Six Degrees of Separation?). He does a great job in this film: angry, suspicious, stuck in the past. He's a smart ass, like always, but with a darker, edgier thing going on. When he tells his secret and tears well up as he speaks...nicely done. It's more like Dark City or Minority Report than Independence Day or Armageddon, in terms of tone and heft.

Anyway, we both really enjoyed it. Anyone else see it?
Life in two dimensions is a mass-production scheme...
happysmilies007

Post by happysmilies007 »

haven't seen it, but heard it was really good! i'd like to go see it, but we don't ever go to the movies..i'll let ya know if i do get to!

carolynn :evil:
"What do I do when we're not taping? Sit in a dark room and refine my plans for someday ruling Earth from a blimp. And chess." --Ryan Stiles .. brought to you by the letter 3!
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

I've had the movie for several weeks, seen it twice and enjoyed it. I tend to avoid the 'action' genre but this is an exception to the rule. The movie premise provokes thought...which must be a good thing.
I downloaded 'CatWoman' over the weekend. Apart from a leather clad Halle Berry I find little to reccomend it. I have an hour remaining of the 'Thunderbirds' movie (requested by a colleague), not getting my hopes up plot-wise :-) .
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I saw this with my husband, also not expecting to like it as much as I did. Dan and I plan on renting it later and using it in our homeschool because it does bring up some interesting political and philosophical questions.

Will Smith, I agree, is a good actor. His work in Ali is what convinced me of that.
Onward and Upward!
kazzman
Location: In a cellar thinking of ways to assasinate Gary Bettman

Post by kazzman »

Ogg wrote: I downloaded 'CatWoman' over the weekend.

Why would you waste space on your computer to download that sorry excuse for a movie?

Anyway, haven't seen I Robot yet, but I plan on seeing it this week sometime.
Kazz
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Ogg wrote:

I downloaded 'CatWoman' over the weekend.

Why would you waste space on your computer to download that sorry excuse for a movie?

Anyway, haven't seen I Robot yet, but I plan on seeing it this week sometime.
My 11 year old son requested the movie and as I'm a good Dad... :-) .
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Way to go, Dad!
Onward and Upward!
EndlesslyRocking

Post by EndlesslyRocking »

awip2062 wrote:Way to go, Dad!
Yes, criminal activity is always the way to show love for your children...

:twisted:

Seriously though, I'm glad to see some other positive responses to this movie. I agree there's some thought-provoking stuff there, especially the speech from the scientist about when does something become conscious (sentient)?

I also like the psychological concept behind Smith's hatred of robots. It shows how one traumatic experience can color our whole perception for life. That's why it's important to be cool to people.
Life in two dimensions is a mass-production scheme...
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

I watched American Choppers build the I robot theme bike on Discovery. They unveiled the bike on the Hollywood opening of the movie, pretty cool.
Happy 2015!
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

awip2062 wrote:
Way to go, Dad!

Yes, criminal activity is always the way to show love for your children...
:-D :-D :-D
D'Anconia

Post by D'Anconia »

I'm a huge Asimov fan, and from the commericials I can see that this movie has nothing to do with the book. I am reluctant to see it.
Regards,
Bri

"...from here in Oregon, where we are far too stupid to dispense our own gasoline." Neil Peart
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

my physics teacher told me i should read some asimov, apparently theres alot of physics theories and whatnot in his writing
happysmilies007

Post by happysmilies007 »

Soup4Rush wrote:I watched American Choppers build the I robot theme bike on Discovery. They unveiled the bike on the Hollywood opening of the movie, pretty cool.
i <3 AC! i love it when Jr & Sr get into scuffs..it's the funniest thing in the world to watch them yanks have at it!!

also, their bike work is just way too amazing. they make the most creative choppers on the planet..& what's even cooler is they function! one of my fave bikes would be either mikey's blues bike or the POW*MIA bike..good stuff, man!

carolynn :evil:
"What do I do when we're not taping? Sit in a dark room and refine my plans for someday ruling Earth from a blimp. And chess." --Ryan Stiles .. brought to you by the letter 3!
D'Anconia

Post by D'Anconia »

Sir Myghin wrote:my physics teacher told me i should read some asimov, apparently theres alot of physics theories and whatnot in his writing
Your physics teacher is wise. Asimov is indeed a Grand Master.
Regards,
Bri

"...from here in Oregon, where we are far too stupid to dispense our own gasoline." Neil Peart
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

she is, very cool indeed, learned alot from her