Science Question for the Chemically Challanged

Day to day life of the Rush fans

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Julie

Science Question for the Chemically Challanged

Post by Julie »

My fishtank is getting too warm, because the outside temp in the house is too darn hot. I've been doing water changes in my aquarium, taking out the warm and putting in cool from the tap after treating it to remove the tap water chemicals.

Here's my question.

If I freeze tap water in an ice cube tray, will that freeze away the chlorine and the assorted chemicals that are in my tap water? What would happen if I froze the treated tap water? Would the dechlor stuff still work? :?

I'm stumped on this one, so any ideas would sure help!!!
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

My answer would be no, I close my swimming pool in the fall and I put about 5 gallons of chlorine in it. It freezes over the winter and in the spring I open the pool and the cholrine is still in it. I think the sunlight is the biggest killer of cholrine. Not a scientific opinion, just drawing on my experience.
Happy 2015!
Julie

Post by Julie »

Wow, I would have thought the chlorine would have evaporated away long before that! :shock:
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

I cover the pool in the winter. One year I did not and the pool turned green by March. It was not even warm yet. I was told the sunlight killed the cholrine and I have always covered it since. It has never turned green again.
Happy 2015!
Devil's Advocate

Re: Science Question for the Chemically Challanged

Post by Devil's Advocate »

Julie wrote:If I freeze tap water in an ice cube tray, will that freeze away the chlorine and the assorted chemicals that are in my tap water?
Nope. The chlorine might evaporate out before the water freezes (or after it thaws), but the freezing itself won't get rid of it.
What would happen if I froze the treated tap water? Would the dechlor stuff still work? :?
Dunno what kinda treatment you do. But once you got the chlorine out, freezing the water won't put it back. Or you could de-chlorinate the water after melting it.
Julie

Post by Julie »

So it sounds like best way would be to declor the water and then make ice cubes with the treated water.

Thanks guys!!!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

DA's right.....chlorine hasta evaporate before freezing...gotta let it air out for a few hours...we hadda do that with city water before we put it in our tanks too...then you can freeze it :headbang:

don't keep the tank near a window either...that'sbadmkaaay :-D
Don't start none...won't be none.
Julie

Post by Julie »

The big tank is away from any sunlight. The Betta's bowl, though, gets filtered light during the morning.

No algae yet. :D
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

cool Julie! :headbang:

if you can, buy some algae eaters too...they do such a good job, you gotta buy algae to FEED 'em after a while...

Sigette keeps fish too, so she's pretty savvy about that kinda stuff....
Don't start none...won't be none.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Hot water does not stay chlorinated for long. If you run your tap til it's hot and then put some of the hot water in a container and let it sit overnight, and then freeze it, all should be well.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?