Curry and Beer

Day to day life of the Rush fans

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Slaine mac Roth

Curry and Beer

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

Pretty much once a week, Jess, my wife, does Tuna and Pasta Bake for dinner as it a favourite of her's and the kids'. However, since it was her major craving while she was pregnant with James and we ended up having every night for about three or weeks, I can't stand the sight of the stuff, let alone the smell or taste. Knowing this, she always gets me a curry to have on the nights they're having T&PB and, since you can't have curry without beer, she always gets me a bottle to have with it. Fortunately, she also knows me well enough to get me a bottle of decent real ale as, beer wise, I don't drink anything else.

And, believe it or not, with the temperature around 29o C, I've just had a curry and sweat is currently dripping onto the keyboard.

So, what did I have tonight?

Well, the curry was an old favourite - Chicken Tikka Masala which I am very partial too (althiough mt favourite has got to be Lamb Rogan Josh). As for the beer, that was a new one on me - Bateman's Victory Ale which, I must confess, is a most enjoyable pint and worth looking out for.

So, does anyone else here like the odd pint of real ale (I know Schuette does) and is anyone else partial to the odd curry (as a Terry Pratchett fan and a musician, I'll be surprised if Ogg isn't)
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

Hey Slaine,

This may be up your alley.

http://www.warbirdbrewing.com/warbird_b ... d_beer.htm
Happy 2015!
Ogg

Re: Curry and Beer

Post by Ogg »

Slaine mac Roth wrote:So, does anyone else here like the odd pint of real ale (I know Schuette does) and is anyone else partial to the odd curry (as a Terry Pratchett fan and a musician, I'll be surprised if Ogg isn't)
I have to confess that I have been a patron of our local 'Hong Sing' for many many years, yellow runny things with brown crunchy bits (pork curry and chips!) being the perennial fave.
I really do not drink much at all, never was a drinker even when I was younger apart from a little 'Baileys Irish Cream' at Xmas so I cant comment on the real ale. My woman firmly belives a good ole fashion cup of english tea counteracts with the spices, personally you cant beat an ice cold strawberry milkshake :-) . I am just so geeky, it's a worrying thought.

ps: One has to question the wisdom of having a curry during this heat wave we're having?
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

does Guinness count? It's OKAY, but my suds haveta have fizz...

Guinness is just flat if you ask me...unless I got ripped off-- D'OH!!

The little torpedo-thingie in the Guinness bottle wigs me out too...

Gimme any kind of ice-brewed beer...except Bud...I can't drink that quaff...

I don't see what's so great about Bud..IMHO...I think it's CRAP...

Killian's Irish Red is my beer of choice...BUGGER OFF AND BREAK OUT THE BLOODY LAGER :headbang:
Don't start none...won't be none.
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

Soup4Rush wrote:Hey Slaine,

This may be up your alley.

http://www.warbirdbrewing.com/warbird_b ... d_beer.htm
Looks interesting but I have to admit that my encounters with American beers have been a little disapointing as they tend more towards lager than ales. Still, if I ever come across it, I'll give it a try - that's one of my missions in life - to try every beer possible.
Ogg wrote:One has to question the wisdom of having a curry during this heat wave we're having?
It depends on how you look at it. Curry is an Indian food and India is a very hot country. Besides, I've come down with a cold and it unblocked my nose a treat - for a while anyway.
CygnusX1 wrote: does Guinness count?
Guinness is actually a stout. I have to confess that I'm quite partial to stout but much prefer Murphy's, Beamish or Gillespie's. However, a touch of the old Liffey Water does go down pretty well.
but my suds haveta have fizz
That's the thing - I don't like my ale to be too gassy, the gas takes away some of the taste.
Gimme any kind of ice-brewed beer
These tend to be lagers which, on the whole, I find to be tasteless. Similarly, I'm none to keen on any beer that's supposed to served ice-cold - again, it tends to interfere with the flavour. Real ale is supposed to be served cool but not cold, hence my extracting a bottle from the fridge about an hour before drinking
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
rushlight

Post by rushlight »

I'm too much of a wimp to try any hot indian food. I liked going for the mild stuff. I tried indian food once with DA and his family and I liked it.

With Guinness, I usually drink a soda first so the effects don't hit me too hard when I have Guinness. I love Bailey's Irish Cremes though. :-)

OGGY! Love the PT In Absentia pic at the bottom. :twisted:
I love my Welshman.
schuette

Post by schuette »

do you know what worried me slaine is the fact you said you a bottle of ale......just one?????.......surely not......you at least need a couple ;)
oh and Scotland makes some damn good real ale :-D
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Curry puts me on the toilet in a hurry....................and beggin for a popsicle.
This space for rent
schuette

Post by schuette »

I dont want to ask where your gonna put the ice lolly ;)
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Wrong thread kiddo. :razz:
This space for rent
schuette

Post by schuette »

hey.....you begged for the popiscle ;)
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Ummmmmmm....well, you all know I don't drink alcohol, but I do enjoy hot foods. Curry is the nums! My son Bear is my accomplice in the spicy stuffs and really enjoys it when our Philipinno friends take him out to eat. The mom of the family doesn't like spicy foods, but she takes them places that wil make it hot and so he comes home happy as a....well...a Bear in a berry patch.
Onward and Upward!
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

schuette wrote:I dont want to ask where your gonna put the ice lolly ;)
LMAO!!!!
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Smithwicks and Madras Chicken served over rice or with curried chips on the side. :P

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Popeyes chicken with habanero "drops of death" :shock: would give curried ANYTHING a "run for the money" :headbang:

don'tcha think? :shock:
Don't start none...won't be none.