Reading by Ear

Day to day life of the Rush fans

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

awip2062

Reading by Ear

Post by awip2062 »

I thought we had a library thread about here that I would post this in, but, alas I can't find it. LOL

Anyhow, those of you who do enjoy books, do you enjoy audiobooks? If you do, or if you think you might like an easy way to get in some "reading" by using your ears, you might like this link.

www.librivox.org

There you will find all sorts of books that have been read aloud and are free for the taking. Every book is in the public domain, so no copyrights are being taken advantage of in any way and you won't get in trouble for dl'ing them.

They have classics like Dante's Divine Comedy, poetry like Coleridge's Kubla Kahn, non-fiction like Adam Smith's The Wealth of Nations, kids' books like the Tom Swift series, all sorts of things. You can download them in various ways from zip files of the entire book, having a chapter a day dl'd to your machine, get them in your iTunes and others.

Since I've been working once a week at night cleaning a doctor's office, I've been taking my iPod with me and listening to podcasts and books from Librivox. It's helped my mind pass the time as I do manual labor and I find I look forward to working so I can have the four hours of listening! LOL This week I listened to most of a science fiction book by Edgar Rice Burroughs and had to finish it before I could go to sleep I enjoyed it so much.
Onward and Upward!
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Thats cool T, my friend does the audio book thing during his stretching exercises. I have never really tried it but I have been known to devour their ground tree cousins.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

I have listened to The Vampire Lestat in audio book form. It was nice to hear how some of those Frenchie things are really pronounced. LOL

I could see it useful on a road trip, but I would rather read the book.

Yeah, like I read books huh? :P
This space for rent
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Walkinghairball wrote: Yeah, like I read books huh? :P
Everyone knows drummer can't read
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Phooey on you. :razz:
This space for rent
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

That's just not true! I have seen real, honest injun drum sheet music!
Onward and Upward!
Walkinghairball

And I read 8 charts just last Sunday at my gig. :-)

So there. :P

Oh yeah, I can also write and arrange charts so there. :P

That's correct, I know the secret language of MUSIC THEORY so watch out.

:lol: :razz: :lol: :razz:
This space for rent
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Walkinghairball wrote:And I read 8 charts just last Sunday at my gig. :-)

So there. :P

That's correct, I know the secret language of MUSIC THEORY so watch out.

:lol: :razz: :lol: :razz:
to be fare drum charts aren't real music charts :P
Walkinghairball

Sir Myghin wrote:
Walkinghairball wrote:And I read 8 charts just last Sunday at my gig. :-) So there. :P
That's correct, I know the secret language of MUSIC THEORY so watch out.:lol: :razz: :lol: :razz:
To pay fare allows one passage on a plane or a boat. To be fair, one must realize that while yes drum charts are written rhythmicaly to read which drum or cymbal to be stricken you read melodicaly for those things. :razz: :razz:

Oh yeah, and don't forget, bad things like a BASS SOLO happen after the DRUMS stop playing. :razz: :lol:
This space for rent
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Walkinghairball wrote:
Sir Myghin wrote:
Walkinghairball wrote:And I read 8 charts just last Sunday at my gig. :-) So there. :P
That's correct, I know the secret language of MUSIC THEORY so watch out.:lol: :razz: :lol: :razz:
To pay fare allows one passage on a plane or a boat. To be fair, one must realize that while yes drum charts are written rhythmicaly to read which drum or cymbal to be stricken you read melodicaly for those things. :razz: :razz:

Oh yeah, and don't forget, bad things like a BASS SOLO happen after the DRUMS stop playing. :razz: :lol:
Lol Stu hamms bass solo was hardly a bad thing however. and yes I realize that as I have seen drum charts dif notes represent dif drums. Its not as complicated as standard music however :P there are less notes :D
Walkinghairball

Go find the drum score for The Black Page then hero. Trust me, it can be wicked compilicated. :lol:
This space for rent
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Walkinghairball wrote:Go find the drum score for The Black Page then hero. Trust me, it can be wicked compilicated. :lol:
guitar/ piano =- worse when they throw down 4 out of 5 notes of a standard chord and you need to know which are whatnot and all this other garbage, we hates them. besides I don't play drums, machines can do that for me :P
Walkinghairball

Machines.............BAH!!!

Poser. :razz: :lol:
This space for rent
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

Drum machines have no soul!
Walkinghairball

zepboy wrote:Drum machines have no soul!

Thank you Zepbroski. :-D
This space for rent